Patient Comments: Sleep Apnea - Symptoms

What were your sleep apnea symptoms? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: lyle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I was stung by a scorpion on the stomach this morning. There is pain at the sting site. I have been stung by scorpions several times over my life. I no longer fear being stung. In fact, I have noticed recently that I feel better and stronger, after being stung. The same is true for me with wasps and bee stings. I suppose there is an endorphin effect or something. At any rate, I have been walking around with super powers this morning following the sting. I have heard of bee venom therapy, but never scorpion sting therapy. This is a typical scorpion found in Texas.

Comment from: scooter, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I was diagnosed with mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea 5 years ago. I'm female, was not obese, but was peri-menopausal. I began having panic issues while trying to sleep. It happened on 4 consecutive nights upon which I took myself to the emergency room (the 4th night). In addition, for about 3 to 5 years I had an episode just about every night where I would be awakened and feel like I had been run over by a freight train. I didn't associate it with sleep apnea, but it could definitely have been the atrial flutter that showed up on a Holter monitor in this same 'sleep study' timeframe. Cut to the chase, it took another approximately 3 months to get a full night sleep study. Before that I had had a 'take-home' type study that confirmed sleep apnea. I was prescribed CPAP therapy, which I use religiously. I don't nap unless I can access my machine. Doctors should routinely screen for this at least if a woman reports any sleep problems whatsoever, including insomnia. At the very least, a portable/wearable recording pulse oximeter could be worn for one or several nights. It would go a long way to helping a lot of people. I'm getting a 'tune-up' soon with a sleep specialist because I'm not feeling like I'm getting the full benefit of the CPAP therapy. And some health issues have surfaced that are tied to sleep apnea, but I am wanting to find out if this is the particular case for me.

Comment from: Duncan c., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I was tested for sleep apnea and had a sleeping machine with nasal tubes. I slept better and had a more quality sleep, but the hospital took it back because they said I only stop breathing 12/14 times a night. My sleep pattern is bad feel so tired and snoring is really bad.

Comment from: Chrisypots, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 07

My son, who has the condition of cerebral palsy, was very hard to wake up from sleep. He would be limp as a rag doll and could not be awakened. We could see that he was taking extremely shallow breaths when he would be in this state. His coloring was never good either. He always looked pale to me for weeks before his diagnosis. Finally, after two ICU stays, we got the diagnosis of central sleep apnea. I cannot even tell you the difference that the apnea machine has made. My son has a life again because of it! Getting used to it did take some time but it has made a huge difference in his quality of life. Unbelievable!

Comment from: Suzanne, Published: May 30

I have multiple sclerosis and my bone density is now worsening. I have had fractures after physical trauma and strenuous physical repetitive work. I take a high dose of vitamin D.

Comment from: RHONDA M., 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 19

I had a car accident in 1985 and I was critically injured. I had broken arm, crushed pelvis, and a hematoma that was ignored because I developed a staph infection which they never could determine where it came from. It lies dormant and returns.

Comment from: laura, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

My son and other relatives are really worried about my snoring especially when I stop breathing and gasp for air. I am awaiting a sleep study but cannot get in for consultation until October. Today a friend told me that her sister's boyfriend died in his sleep last night due to sleep apnea. This really scares me.

Comment from: charlene, 65-74 (Patient) Published: November 26

I have had sleep apnea for years now. It was diagnosed by my daughter who said I snored all night and she told me I stopped breathing. I had the sleep study and started using my machine. I spent another weekend with my daughter who said I snored all night with my CPAP on. I went back to doctor, turned it up to 16. Last time I spent with my daughter she said no more snoring. I go on vacation with it and would not sleep without it.

Comment from: SpecialK, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I have had sleep apnea for 5 years now and use a CPAP machine. It has helped me so much. I suggest that you take your machine in to the doctor and have them adjust the air pressure. It may not be set at the right number and so, not allowing you to get enough oxygen which will cause you to have fatigue, headaches and all kinds of problems. Don't know if that's the problem, but I'd almost bet it is! Good luck!!

Causes of Fatigue Slideshow Pictures
Comment from: Mark, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 08

I finally went for the sleep study after years of living with constant exhaustion and mind fog. The study showed I stopped breathing 152 times during the five hours I actually slept. My oxygen levels were falling into the upper 60% range so they put me on a CPAP. The CPAP caused a feeling of claustrophobia on each exhalation and the study didn't go well. On the second study they put me on a BPAP instead and it worked great! My pressure is at 20/16 but I feel amazing. I notice better mood, better cognitive function, better decision making and my leg swelling is even getting better. I was used to the mask and pressure in a couple of days so it might be worth talking about BPAP with your doctor if you struggle with the CPAP.

Comment from: levilamb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

My husband was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 6 years ago with oxygen. His problem is that he keeps getting mouth sores (like canker sores) in his mouth and sometimes they are really bad. I just hate it for him because they are very painful. He has tried all sorts of medicine and nothing seems to work. He sleeps with his mouth open in the mask and we think maybe it's a result of his mouth drying out from the air that's blowing into his mouth.

Comment from: db5280, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

Waking up like I didn't sleep at all. Palpitations, sweats about the neck, chest and back areas, dry mouth. I even wet the bed a few times. Upon getting out of bed, I would feel weak and fatigued with a woozy, off-balance feeling that carried on throughout the day until bedtime and then all symptoms would start over the next day. I was fatigued to the point of tears. Waiting to be fitted for CPAP mask. Hoping and praying for great results. Life is too short to go on this way. Good Luck to you.

Comment from: Jo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I occasionally catch my breath when I am asleep. I am not sure if it is sleep apnea or not. I have not timed how long I stop breathing. I do have problems settling down again after the event but am not sure if it is worsened by my thinking about it. I am a bit overweight and I have scoliosis which makes me shorter.

Comment from: Kupkak, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I awaken at night and my heart begins to pound. After a short while it regulates itself and I sleep again, sometimes. Sometimes, I prefer to stay awake because I don't want to experience the heart pounding. My throat feels extremely dry, also. My doctor tells me I have a deviated septum. I had the test for sleep apnea twice, the home study. But they don't think I have sleep apnea even though I stopped breathing a few times. Hopefully, I will get some help soon.

Comment from: Nelson, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

I woke up at about 3am and wasn't breathing at all. I didn't know what had happened. I was gasping for air and didn't know how to start my breathing back. This happened to me three times before I got tested for sleep apnea.

Comment from: cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I struggled for 5-6 months to learn how to sleep with the mask. I stuck with it and today am enjoying my 7 grandchildren. I can run, play and stay awake all day. Please people use your cpap. You will adjust, and your lives and others will be saved. Cut the excuses. It is your LIFE after all. Get real. We are so lucky to have machines that save lives.

Comment from: rugman, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 10

I had no problem taking the sleep apnea test, and now have the CPAP machine. I used it about a week, and now it causes me to gasp for air, and I have to take it off. What am I doing wrong?

Comment from: fibrofemale, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

Overwhelming fatigue, diagnosed with fibromyalgia for 15 yrs prior to this latest sleep apnea/hypopnea. Finally reluctantly but gladly using CPAP machine with nasal pillows (type of mask) even traveled with it recently - it is doable to have better quality sleep. Still tired though; still have ibromyalgia, as well as diagnosed restless legs syndrome X 15 years too. Don't know why I wasn't put through this sleep study years ago. Hope it is being offered more often.

Comment from: sleepwell, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I didn't really have any idea that I had this, until my friend was telling me I stopped breathing at night and she would give me a little shake to get me to breathe again. I went to see a specialist, which they told me I stopped breathing 96 times a night and that my oxygen went way below normal. Now, I wear a CPAP every night.

Causes of Fatigue Slideshow Pictures