Insomnia is difficulty in falling or staying asleep, the absence of restful sleep, or poor quality of sleep. Insomnia is a symptom and not a disease. The most common causes of insomnia are medications, psychological conditions, environmental changes and stressful events. Treatments may include non-drug treatments, over-the-counter medicines, and/or prescription medications. Read more: Insomnia Treatment (Sleep Aids and Stimulants) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
20 Tips to Beat Insomnia and Sleep Better
Good sleep hygiene leads to better sleep. Avoid insomnia and sleep better by minimizing stress, exercising, and taking proper...
Insomnia Quiz: What Is Insomnia?
Insomnia affects all age groups, and is the most common sleep disorder in the world. There also seems to be a link between...
Caffeine Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
If you can't function without your morning cup of java or your afternoon caffeine jolt, this quiz is for you. Learn about your...
Restless Legs Syndrome: 16 Natural Remedies and Treatment for RLS
Restless legs syndrome treatment includes natural remedies that you can implement at home. Use exercise, sleep hygiene, and...
Sleep Disorders: Foods That Help Sleep or Keep You Awake
Need more shut-eye? Your late-night cravings could be keeping you from a good night’s sleep. Should you drink green tea before...
Sleep Disorders: Insomnia, Sleep Apnea, and More
Learn about the different types of sleep disorders such as insomnia and sleep apnea. Explore the symptoms, causes, tests and...
Sleep Better, Conquer Insomnia
What is insomnia? Are you an insomniac? Learn 10 tips on how to get a good night's sleep and avoid sleep disorders such as...
Jobs That May Ruin Your Sleep
Some jobs can lead to sleep problems like insomnia, especially for graveyard and other shift work. Learn how work can disrupt...
9 Signs of Perimenopause
Perimenopause occurs before menopause as estrogen levels begin to change. This can cause menopause like symptoms such as hot...
Drug Interactions: Foods, Drugs, Herbs Affecting Medications
What foods, drugs, and herbal supplements interact with your pharmaceuticals? Learn about grapefruit and other common drug...
Related Disease Conditions
Jet lag (desynchonosis) is a temporary disorder that results from travel across time zones. Symptoms include anxiety,...
Restless Leg Syndrome (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment Medications, Home Remedies)
Restless leg syndrome (RLS) is a common cause for painful legs that typically eases with motion, and becomes worse and more...
Night Sweats (In Men and Women) Causes, Remedies, and Treatments
Night sweats are severe hot flashes that occur at night and result in a drenching sweat. The causes of night sweats in most...
Snoring (Causes, Aids, Remedies, Solutions)
Snoring, like all other sounds, is caused by vibrations that cause particles in the air to form sound waves. While we are asleep,...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Tension Headache (Symptoms, Relief, Causes, Treatment)
A tension headache s one of the most common types of headaches, and the exact cause is not known. Factors that may contribute to...
Get the latest marijuana statistics and information. Learn its effects and how this drug, also known as pot, affects the brain....
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
IBS Triggers (Prevention)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a functional disease that can affect the quality of those who suffer from this condition....
Sleepwalking (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment)
Sleepwalking is a condition in which an individual walks or does other activities while asleep. Factors associated with...
Migraine vs. Headache: Differences and Similarities
Headaches are the most common reason why a person goes to the doctor or other healthcare professional for treatment. There are...
Medical Marijuana (Medical Cannabis)
Medical marijuana (medical cannabis) is a medicine that is plant based. There are two species of medical marijuana; 1) Cannabis...
Hypersomnia is a condition where a person has excessive daytime sleepiness and trouble staying awake during the day. Treatment...
Depression in teenagers may be caused by many factors. Symptoms of teen depression include apathy, irresponsible behavior,...
Stress Management Techniques
Stress may be considered as any physical, chemical, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental unrest and that may be a...
Post-polio syndrome (PPS) is a group of signs and symptoms that show up two to four decades after the initial polio infection....
Narcolepsy (Definition, Symptoms, Treatment, Medication)
Causes of narcolepsy, a chronic disease of the central nervous system, have not been fully determined. Some theories include...
Migraines and Seizures (Symptoms, Auras, Medication)
Migraines are a type of headache and seizures are the main symptom of epilepsy. Migraine headaches and seizures are two...
Insomnia (Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Cures)
Insomnia is the perception or complaint of inadequate or poor-quality sleep because of difficulty falling asleep; waking up...
Menstrual Cramps and Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) Medication Guide
Menstrual cramps and premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms include abdominal cramping, bloating, a feeling of fullness, abdominal...
Lewy Body Dementia (Dementia with Lewy Bodies)
Lewy body dementia (LBD or dementia with Lewy bodies) is one the most common causes of dementia. There are two types of LBD: 1)...
When sleepiness interferes with daily routines and activities, or reduces the ability to function, it is called "problem...
Sleep and Sleep Disorders in Children and Teenagers
Sleep needs in children and teenagers depend on the age of the child. Sleep disorders in children such as: sleep apnea,...
Alzheimer's Disease Patient Caregiver Guide
Caring for a loved one or patient with Alzheimer's can become a difficult and overwhelming task at times. This guide helps...
Depression in the Elderly
Depression in the elderly is very common. That doesn't mean, though, it's normal. Treatment may involve antidepressants,...
Periodic Limb Movement Disorder
Periodic limb movement disorder (PLMD) is a sleep disorder characterized by rhythmic movements of the limbs during sleep. The...
Local ResourcesFind a local Sleep Specialist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Caffeine FAQs
- Insomnia FAQs
- Progressive Muscle Relaxation
- Trouble Sleeping? Insomnia May Be Why
- 10 Tips to Avoid Insomnia and Get a Good Night's Sleep
- PMS vs. PMDD - Whats' the Difference?
- Sleep: Are You Sleep Deprived?
- Chloral Hydrate Uses and Risks
- Herbs: Toxicities and Drug Interactions
- High Altitude Sickness Symptoms
- Congestive Heart Failure Symptoms
- Sleep Apnea Symptoms
Medications & Supplements
- Benzodiazepines (Benzodiazepine Drug Class)
- Antihistamines (Oral)
- hydroxyzine (Vistaril)
- Ativan (lorazepam)
- diphenhydramine, Benadryl
- zopiclone (oral tablet)
- Drug Interactions
- Ativan (lorazepam) vs. Valium (diazepam)
- temazepam, Restoril
- Ativan vs. Xanax
- Hypnotics (for Sleep)
- zolpidem (Ambien, Ambien CR, Zolpimist, Edluar, [Tovalt ODT has been discontinued])
- St. John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum)
- eszopiclone, Lunesta
- ramelteon, Rozerem
- chloral hydrate - oral
- triazolam, Halcion
- zaleplon, Sonata
- Melissa officinalis (Lemon Balm, balm, Melissa, sweet balm)
- zolpidem (Intermezzo)
- Belsomra (suvorexant)
Prevention & Wellness
- Sound Advice for a Sound Sleep
- Sleepless Nights Haunt 1 in 4 Americans
- CBD Oil: All the Rage, But Is It Really Safe and Effective?
- Medical Marijuana May Not Help Your Sleep Apnea: Experts
- Who Lives Longer -- Night Owls or Early Birds?
- Health Tip: Speak With Your Doctor if You Aren't Sleeping Well
- Help for When You're Wide-Eyed at 3 a.m.
- Poor Sleep May Heighten Alzheimer's Risk
- Health Tip: Risk Factors For Insomnia
- Skipping CPAP May Mean Return to the Hospital for Apnea Patients
- Tackling Menopausal Sleep Problems From Other Angles
- Sleepy Drivers May Be Causing More Crashes Than Thought
- Health Tip: Plan for Better Sleep
- Could You Be Overdoing It With Sleeping Pills?
- Health Tip: Music May Help You Sleep
- 1 in 3 Seniors Take Sleep Aids
- Sleep Deprivation a Serious Threat to Health: Expert
- It's Time to Kick Fido Out -- of Bed, That Is
- Health Tip: Slipping Back Into Sleep
- Health Tip: 5 Things to Help You Sleep Soundly
- Desperate for Shut-Eye?
- The High Price of Untreated Insomnia
- Trouble Sleeping? New Treatment Options May Help
- Insomniacs' Brains May Work Differently
- Insomnia Cure Boosts Success of Depression Treatment, Study Finds
- Bathroom Visits May Add to Sleep Problems for Seniors
- Health Tip: Excessively Sleepy?
- Cancer-Related Fatigue Often Overlooked, Study Finds
- How Do Sleeping Pills Really Work?
- Surgical Residents Often Fatigued, Study Confirms
- Sleepwalking May Be More Common Than You Think
- Health Tip: If You Can't Sleep
- Middle-of-Night Sleeping Pill Intermezzo Approved