Patient Comments: Sleep - Problems Experienced

What sleep problems have you experienced? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Green Eyes, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 08

I have chronic insomnia. Ambien really helped me, however after sleep walking at 2 AM and leaving my house, my doctor would not prescribe Ambien again. Since then, 2 years ago, I have tried so many prescriptions and over the counter items, to no avail. I took an on line CBT I (cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia) class which I feel made my sleep problems worse. I cannot fall asleep, I go 3 nights without sleep and no naps during the day. I can easily fall asleep around noon, but do not allow myself to nap. After 2 nights without sleep, I do not drive, I am not alert enough. I desperately need help. I am 72 and who knows how many years I have left. Insomnia is robbing me of my enjoyment of life.

Comment from: Sig08, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I think my sleeping problems have been since I was about 8. My dad's ex-girlfriend used to give me, my brother, and her little girl NyQuil every night before bed. I was hooked on NyQuil, and until about four years ago, I was still hooked. My husband and grandmother helped me to get off of that. Then, I was unable to sleep. So my mother-in-law gave me a muscle relaxer one night. I started taking Tylenol PM every night after that. Just recently I found out that I may be addicted to the Tylenol. I know it has the potential to kill my liver, but I need something. The situation at my house, the stress of my husband losing his job, the extended family living with us, my desire to succeed and potentially move up in the company I work for, and going to school online may be accompanying all the stress I feel. I realize that may be making it hard for me to fall asleep. I'm going to try these helpful hints on here, then go to my doctor. I'm trying so hard to not take anything. It's so hard though. I feel depressed a lot of the time, and I try to hide it. I wanted to tell this story to possibly help others.

Comment from: ruth, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I have sleep apnea and have a problem with a good night's sleep. I am thinking of taking Ambien or melatonin.

Comment from: Kimber, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

Years of medications for various medical conditions have interfered with my sleep. I have tried everything from the homeopathic (melatonin) to Lunesta, Rozerem and Ambien and Ambien CR. I added a feather bed to my mattress. I've been cranking the air conditioning down and enjoying a hot bath before bed. On days in which I exercise for one to two hours, I have to do so in the morning. Late night exercise "wires" me. No caffeine after 3 p.m. No heavy meals past 6 or 7 p.m. No alcohol within five hours of sleep, if possible. Turn out the lights to set the body clock. I take Ambien CR and one mg of Xanax. I'm also using a product called "Snore Stop" for snoring and have seen a huge improvement in my REM sleep. As you can see, I have tried everything. The exercise and nutrition components seem to affect me the most.

Comment from: Tiredsleepymeannana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I have had insomnia for many years. I have tried everything: I have read all the books and tried all the over-the-counter things and prescriptions. I've also tried all the herbs and teas, no TV, yes TV, walking, reading, a fan — nothing works! Sometimes it works for a little while, but then it doesn't work. I now take Ambien CR. I fall asleep after about an hour, but I wake up two or three hours later, then sleep a while and wake up again. When I do this, I am tired all day and not a nice person.

Comment from: Rager, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I can"t seem to get awake. I want to sleep all day and night.

Comment from: lil miss, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

After I fall asleep my boyfriend has been waking me up. I either start laughing and fall back to sleep but usually I get very angry. I never remember being woken up or what I do. My boyfriend is very troubled by this to the point where he is afraid to wake me because I am so mean. How do you fix a problem you can't remember? Thank you.

Comment from: Nicholas, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 08

I am a 69-year old male who, despite retiring as a professor in Education 4 years ago, continue as a consultant at the university I taught at for 34 years. Although I have always "talked" in my sleep, the situation has now become almost ludicrous! I actually give an entire lecture whilst sleeping, my wife waking up and taking notes - just to prove to me that I am actually talking in my sleep. This "lecture" (so I am told) can take nearly 10 minutes or more. What is even more 'frightening' is that I talk myself awake and even insist on answers to the questions I ask. Please is this a case of having a very active mind? I have no trouble in actually falling asleep once I retire to bed.

Comment from: Iodine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I am a 62-year-old woman and have just recently started having sleep paralysis. It scares me to death; when it happens I think I am dying. I fight to move, and eventually, I am able to move my body parts and wake myself up.

Comment from: Nancy, Published: December 01

I would sleep for days and still feel extremely tired. After two years of this with the associated problems mounting, I had a sleep study performed. Besides obstructive sleep apnea, it was also determined that I lacked any stage 3 or 4 of sleep, which is the very deep sleep that is most important! No wonder I was exhausted all the time!

Comment from: 65-74 Male Published: October 08

No matter what time I go to bed, I fall asleep fast, but I only sleep three or four hours, and I wake up feeling rested. After being up for two or three hours, I start feeling really tired, not sleepy. It's like this every day.

Comment from: thunderbolt, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I have sleep apnea and got along well with a cpap for a while, but now it is not working well for me. The problem is not the machine (cpap). The problem is that it just doesn't have the same effect as when I first started using it. Also, I get blood clots in my sinuses. This is having adverse effects on my job performance. I am always tired and have had to leave work because it becomes a safety issue. Also my memory is not good. Note: I drive a cement truck.

Comment from: Bev, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I have had a sleeping problem since I was 13 years old. I have now been diagnosed with chronic insomnia, bipolar disorder and hyperthyroidism. I do take medication for my sleep disorder. I fall asleep fast, but I always wake up within about three hours, and I have a hard time falling back asleep. I am exhausted all day, evening and night.

Comment from: Raynestone, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 05

My son is 2 years old, and he still doesn't sleep through the night. I went to go see a neurologist because he has sensory integrations dysfunction. So she gave me a sleeping prescription for him. It's Chloral Hydrate, and he only takes it for a week to get off this sleep pattern that he has.

Comment from: hardsleeper, 25-34 Male Published: August 21

I have been working a regular 9-5 job for years. When the weekend comes around, I find myself unable to sleep on a Friday night. When everybody else goes to sleep, I am still awake sometimes until 3 or 4 in the morning. When I do get to sleep, I sleep until the middle of the afternoon. This will cause me to be tired Monday morning and through the week. I try and relax on the weekends and get to bed at a good time, but I just find myself lying awake.

Comment from: Mick, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

Since having a heart attack, my sleeping patterns have become very erratic. I take a mild sedative at night, and it makes me a little dizzy. Some nights I sleep for four or five hours. Other nights I'm lucky to get three.

Published: June 20

When I tried to go to bed I found myself completely awake laying there and ended up not getting to sleep until in to the morning hours. I would sleep in the afternoons and felt like I couldn't get myself up and about until I had work. When I tried to balance sleeping I again just couldn't fall asleep. And have been trying to cope with a drowsy feeling all day. Overall I just felt like I had just woke up all day but couldn't get a satisfying rest.

Comment from: Ystryjesus, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I am 36 years old and from what I understand I have talked in my sleep off and on for years. It is now affecting my marriage to the point of divorce. My husband is saying that I call names of other men. I have never cheated on my husband and I do not have any desire to. He feels that there must be some source that allows me to call names of others and not his. I do not know what to do. Is there any preventative measures I can take. I do not want to lose my husband.

Comment from: Beverly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

Four years ago I woke in the night in terror. I thought I was dying. I felt like I was being suffocated and the walls were closing in. It passed after about 10 or 15 minutes. It happened again about a year later and then about once a year until this year I woke gasping for breath and jumped out of bed in panic. The other feelings crept in also. Two nights later I awoke in panic again with a feeling of suffocation. I was so frightened I called my doctor for a complete physical exam which I will have in two days. I was afraid to go to sleep for two nights after the last episode. I hope the doctor can help me. I am 70 years old and have never had a problem before.

Comment from: rebann62, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I am unable to sleep through the night, and if I do fall asleep, I will not be able to sleep the rest of the night. Between work and trying to take care of family, I feel like a zombie sometimes.

Comment from: Shawn, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 05

I have trouble staying awake during my classes, while working on homework, when I am driving, or watching TV or movies. Basically whenever I sit down and I am not physically active, I get very tired and start to fall asleep.

Published: July 28

I have no trouble falling asleep, but I wake numerous times during the night, mostly due to pain from arthritis. I am sleepy during the day. If I am busy, I don't feel sleepy. If I sit for very long, e.g. reading, watching TV, after meals, I will fall asleep. I believe this is affecting my whole life.

Published: July 22

I have not been getting enough sleep for years. I sleep only 3 hours a day, many times I tried to sleep early but all in vain I go to bed at 10 pm keep stay awake until 2 am. In the morning I feel like I will get sleep, but I have to get up to go to work. When I sleep too much thought comes in my mind.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I sleep 12-14 hours a day, plus a nap during the day.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Depression Newsletter