Trending Sleep Topics
Sleep apnea is a reduction or cessation of breathing during sleep. There are three types of sleep apnea. The most common is obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). OSA is caused by the collapse of the airway during sleep. There are many complications related to OSA. Treatments are surgical and non-surgical.
Related Disease Conditions
Bedwetting, or nocturnal enuresis, is the accidental passage of urine while asleep. There are two types of bedwetting: primary...
Hypersomnia is a condition where a person has excessive daytime sleepiness and trouble staying awake during the day. Treatment...
Insomnia (Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Cures)
Insomnia is the perception or complaint of inadequate or poor-quality sleep because of difficulty falling asleep; waking up...
Second Source article from Government...
Jet lag (desynchonosis) is a temporary disorder that results from travel across time zones. Symptoms include anxiety,...
Kleine-Levin syndrome is a rare sleep condition, primarily affecting adolescent males. Symptoms of Kleine-Levin syndrome include...
Narcolepsy (Definition, Symptoms, Treatment, Medication)
Causes of narcolepsy, a chronic disease of the central nervous system, have not been fully determined. Some theories include...
Night Sweats (Causes, Remedies, and Treatments in Women and Men)
Night sweats are severe hot flashes that occur at night and result in a drenching sweat. The causes of night sweats in most...
Periodic Limb Movement Disorder
Periodic limb movement disorder (PLMD) is a sleep disorder characterized by rhythmic movements of the limbs during sleep. The...
When sleepiness interferes with daily routines and activities, or reduces the ability to function, it is called "problem...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Insomnia Treatment (Sleep Aids and Stimulants)
Insomnia is difficulty in falling or staying asleep, the absence of restful sleep, or poor quality of sleep. Insomnia is a...
Sleep and Sleep Disorders in Children and Teenagers
Sleep needs in children and teenagers depend on the age of the child. Sleep disorders in children such as: sleep apnea,...
Sleep apnea is defined as a reduction or cessation of breathing during sleep. The three types of sleep apnea are central apnea,...
Sleep paralysis is a condition that causes a person to feel as if he or she is awake but is unable to move. Lack of sleep, sleep...
Sleep Related Breathing Disorders
Sleep-related breathing disorders are characterized by disruptions of normal breathing patterns that only occur during sleep....
Sleep: A Dynamic Activity
Second Source article from Government...
Sleepwalking (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment)
Sleepwalking is a condition in which an individual walks or does other activities while asleep. Factors associated with...
Snoring (Causes, Aids, Remedies, Solutions)
Snoring, like all other sounds, is caused by vibrations that cause particles in the air to form sound waves. While we are asleep,...
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Sleep Better, Conquer Insomnia
What is insomnia? Are you an insomniac? Learn 10 tips on how to get a good night's sleep and avoid sleep disorders such as...
20 Tips to Beat Insomnia and Sleep Better
Good sleep hygiene leads to better sleep. Avoid insomnia and sleep better by minimizing stress, exercising, and taking proper...
The 14 Most Common Causes of Fatigue
Always feeling tired? Learn more about the causes of fatigue. Get tips to relieve symptoms of fatigue. Feel less tired and start...
Sleep Disorders: Foods That Help Sleep or Keep You Awake
Need more shut-eye? Your late-night cravings could be keeping you from a good night’s sleep. Should you drink green tea before...
Insomnia Quiz: What Is Insomnia?
Insomnia affects all age groups, and is the most common sleep disorder in the world. There also seems to be a link between...
Jobs That May Ruin Your Sleep
Some jobs can lead to sleep problems like insomnia, especially for graveyard and other shift work. Learn how work can disrupt...
Sleep Disorders: Insomnia, Sleep Apnea, and More
Learn about the different types of sleep disorders such as insomnia and sleep apnea. Explore the symptoms, causes, tests and...
Sleep Quiz: Sleep Hygiene & Sleep Facts
Take our Sleeping Quiz to learn which sleep disorders, causes, and symptoms rule the night. Trouble falling or staying asleep?...
Sleep: What Are the Best Sleeping Positions?
What is the best sleep position? Do you dream of sleep that does not aggravate back pain, neck pain, snoring, arthritis, or sleep...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- 10 Tips to Avoid Insomnia and Get a Good Night's Sleep
- Ambien: Sleeping Pill FAQs
- Chloral Hydrate Uses and Risks
- Circadian Rhythm Disorders (Symptoms and Treatment)
- Progressive Muscle Relaxation for Stress and Insomnia
- Sleep Apnea Symptoms
- Sleep: Are You Sleep Deprived?
- Sleep: At The Wheel With Sleep Apnea!
- Trouble Sleeping? Insomnia May Be Why
Medications & Supplements
- armodafinil (Nuvigil)
- Benzodiazepines (Benzodiazepine Drug Class)
- caffeine (Enerjets, No Doz, Vivarin)
- chloral hydrate - oral
- eszopiclone, Lunesta
- Hypnotics (for Sleep)
- zolpidem (Intermezzo)
- modafinil, Provigil
- ramelteon, Rozerem
- triazolam, Halcion
- zaleplon, Sonata
- zolpidem (Ambien, Ambien CR, Zolpimist, Edluar, [Tovalt ODT has been discontinued])
- zopiclone (oral tablet)
Prevention & Wellness
- 1 in 3 Seniors Take Sleep Aids
- Amber-Tinted Glasses Might Get You More Sleep
- Americans Finally Getting a Little More Sleep
- Sunrise, Sunset: Ancient Rhythms Still Dictate Human Life
- Health Tip: Avoid These Beverages to Fight Insomnia
- Bed Partner Often Fuels Loved One's Insomnia
- Better Sleep for Better Weight Loss
- Can a Digital Doctor Help You Sleep?
- People With Epilepsy May Gain From Common Sleep Apnea Treatment
- Could Shift Work Damage Your DNA?
- Could You Be Overdoing It With Sleeping Pills?
- Could You Have Sleep Apnea?
- Did Grandpa's Insomnia Serve an Evolutionary Purpose?
- Do You Have 'Social Jet Lag?'
- Docs May Not Spot Sleep Apnea, Insomnia in Blacks
- Does Dirty Air Keep You Awake?
- Does Less Sleep Make You Less Healthy?
- Even When You Think You're Not Sleepy, Your Car Crash Risk Rises
- Health Tip: When Noise Interrupts Sleep
- Health Tip: All-Nighters Are Unhealthy
- Health Tip: Better Sleep, a Better Life
- Health Tip: Combat Jet Lag
- Health Tip: Don't Take Stress to Bed
- Health Tip: Find the Best Places to Nap
- Health Tip: Get the Facts on Alcohol and Sleep
- Health Tip: Getting Enough Sleep
- Health Tip: Help Kids Sleep Better
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Snoring
- Health Tip: If Lifestyle Interferes With Sleep
- Health Tip: If You Have Sleep Apnea
- Health Tip: Manage Non-24 Sleep Wake Disorder
- Health Tip: Music May Help You Sleep
- Health Tip: No Screens Before Going to Bed
- Health Tip: Plan for Better Sleep
- Health Tip: Risk Factors For Insomnia
- Health Tip: Sleep Better
- Health Tip: Sleep is Important for Memory
- Health Tip: Sleepiness on the Job
- Health Tip: Speak With Your Doctor if You Aren't Sleeping Well
- Health Tip: Stress Can Impact Sleep
- Health Tip: Talking in Your Sleep
- Health Tip: Travel With a Blanket
- Health Tip: Treating Sleep Apnea
- Health Tip: Yoga Before Bed
- Help for When You're Wide-Eyed at 3 a.m.
- Here's Why You 'Space Out' After Too Little Sleep
- How Much Sleep Do You Really Need?
- How to Nod Off Behind the Wheel
- It's Time to Kick Fido Out -- of Bed, That Is
- Life's Hassles May Give You Nightmares … Literally
- Living With Purpose May Help Seniors Sleep Soundly
- NBA Players' Late-Night Tweets May Be Bad for Their Game: Study
- Nerve 'Zap' Treatment Could Be Alternative to CPAP for Sleep Apnea
- Nobel Prize Winners Unlocked Your Sleep Secrets
- Poor Sleep Habits, Poor Grades
- Poor Sleep May Worsen Suicidal Thoughts
- Regular Sleep Makes for Happier College Students
- Remede System Approved for Sleep Apnea
- Seeking Better Sleep? Here's One Simple Step to Help
- Shhhh! Patients Are Sleeping
- Skipping CPAP May Mean Return to the Hospital for Apnea Patients
- Sleep Apnea May Boost Alzheimer's Risk
- Sleep Apnea May Boost Odds of Irregular Heartbeat
- Sleep Apnea May Boost Pregnancy Complications
- Sleep Apnea Wreaks Havoc on Your Metabolism
- Sleep Deprivation a Serious Threat to Health: Expert
- Sleepless Nights Plague Many Women in Middle Age
- Sleepless Nights Show Ties To Alzheimer's Risk
- Sleepy Drivers May Be Causing More Crashes Than Thought
- Sleepy U.S. Teens Are Running on Empty
- Smartphones, Tablets Sabotaging Teens' Sleep
- Sound Sleep May Help You Junk the Junk Food
- Keep a Spring in Your Step With Sunday's Time Change
- Taking the Stairs a Better Pick-Me-Up Than Coffee
- To-Do List Before Bedtime Prompts Better Sleep
- TV Binge-Watching May Leave You Like 'The Walking Dead'
- Videotaping Sleepers Raises CPAP Use
- When Moms Don't Sleep Well, Neither Do Their Kids
- Who Lives Longer -- Night Owls or Early Birds?
- Sleep Disorders: Alternative Treatments
- Back to School, Back to Sleep
- Sleep Disorders: Behavioral Treatments
- Better Sleep on Business Trips
- Can a Mattress Improve Your Health?
- Sleep: Causes of Sleep Problems
- Sleep: Diagnosing Sleep Disorders
- Doze Control: Eat Right and You'll Sleep Like a Baby
- Dream Interpretation Offers Insight
- Sleep: Drug or Alcohol Sleep Disorders
- Sleep: How Did You Sleep Last Night?
- How Much Sleep Do Children Need?
- How To Get a Good Night's Sleep
- How to Pick Your Perfect Mattress
- How to Stay Awake Naturally
- Medical Treatments to Stop Snoring
- Sleep Disorders: Medications
- Napping at Work: America, It's Time for Your Nap
- Nix the Nightcap for Better Sleep?
- Parasomnias Often Under-Recognized, Misunderstood
- Parenting: Baby Got You Up At Night?
- Parenting: A Simple New Strategy May Put Bedtime Struggles to Sleep
- Preventing Sleep Problems
- Sex While Asleep
- Sleep and Aging
- Sleep and Chronic Illness
- Sleep and Menopause
- Sleep and Psychiatric Disorders
- Sleep and Travel
- Sleep Diary
- Sleep Disorders 101
- Sleep Disorders Fact or Fiction
- Sleep Disorders: Some More Unusual than Others
- Sleep Dos & Don'ts
- Sleep During Pregnancy
- Sleep Problems in Kids
- Sleep Related Eating Disorders
- Sleep Savvy Quiz
- Sleep Soundly During Pregnancy
- Sleep: 10 Tips to Get Better Sleep
- Sleep: 8 Ways to Love Your Snorer
- Sleep: A Good Nights Sleep
- Sleep: Coping With Couples' Different Sleep Needs
- Sleep: Counting Sheep?
- Sleep: Getting Enough Sleep
- Sleep: More Important Than You Think
- Power Down for Better Sleep
- Sleep: When to Call the Doctor
- Sleeping At Work: Tips to Stay Awake
- Sleeping Well in Hard Times
- Sleepless in America
- Sleep: Snore No More
- Snoring: Five Natural Remedies to Stop Snoring
- Snuggle Up With the Perfect Pillow
- Sleep Sound
- Insomnia: Sweat Yourself to Sleep
- The Best Mattress for a Good Night's Sleep
- Sleep: The Power of Napping
- Sleep-Easy Pill
- Sleep: The Sweet Science of Dozing
- Sleep: Tips for Sound Sleep
- Sleep, Perchance to Dream: All about Insomnia
- Sleep, Perchance to Sleep Soundly
- Sleep: Undercover Investigation
- What Your Sleeping Style Says About You