Trending Sleep Topics
Sleep apnea is a reduction or cessation of breathing during sleep. There are three types of sleep apnea. The most common is obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). OSA is caused by the collapse of the airway during sleep. There are many complications related to OSA. Treatments are surgical and non-surgical.
Related Disease Conditions
Bedwetting, or nocturnal enuresis, is the accidental passage of urine while asleep. There are two types of bedwetting: primary...
Can Dreaming of Being Pregnant Be a Sign?
According to the National Health Foundation, we all have four to six dreams every night. A few dreams we remember, whereas the...
Can You Recover from Years of Sleep Deprivation?
Learn what medical treatments can ease symptoms of sleep deprivation and help you recover from years of sleeping badly....
Do You Hallucinate During Sleep Paralysis?
Some people may experience hallucinations during sleep paralysis. The hallucinations may last from a few seconds to a few minutes....
What Does It Mean When You Dream About Your Teeth Falling Out and Crumbling?
Teeth often represent our strengths, abilities, and pride. Dreaming about your teeth falling out may represent fears of being...
How Can I Cure Insomnia Fast? 15 Tips and Techniques
Insomnia is the medical term for the inability to fall asleep or to stay asleep not just for one night but from several days to...
How Can I Fall Asleep in 2 Minutes?
Adequate quantity and quality of sleep are important for you to stay healthy, both mentally and physically. While for a blessed...
How Do You Fall Asleep in 5 Minutes?
Good sleep hygiene means practicing habits that help you get good quality sleep every night. Adequate sleep is essential for your...
How Do You Fix Hypersomnia?
Hypersomnia is defined as excessive sleepiness. This can be either in the form of recurrent episodes of excessive daytime...
Hypersomnia is a condition where a person has excessive daytime sleepiness and trouble staying awake during the day. Treatment...
Insomnia is the perception or complaint of inadequate or poor-quality sleep because of difficulty falling asleep; waking up...
Second Source article from Government...
Is Blue Light Bad for Your Brain?
Blue light coming from gadgets, such as smartphones and laptops, is bad for your overall health. It especially affects the brain...
Jet lag (desynchonosis) is a temporary disorder that results from travel across time zones. Symptoms include anxiety,...
Kleine-Levin syndrome is a rare sleep condition, primarily affecting adolescent males. Symptoms of Kleine-Levin syndrome include...
Narcolepsy (Definition, Symptoms, Treatment, Medication)
Causes of narcolepsy, a chronic disease of the central nervous system, have not been fully determined. Some theories include...
Night sweats are severe hot flashes that occur at night and result in a drenching sweat. The causes of night sweats in most...
Periodic Limb Movement Disorder
Periodic limb movement disorder (PLMD) is a sleep disorder characterized by rhythmic movements of the limbs during sleep. The...
When sleepiness interferes with daily routines and activities, or reduces the ability to function, it is called "problem...
What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Sleep Deprivation?
How do you know if you are deprived of sleep? Learn the signs and symptoms of sleep deprivation....
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Insomnia Treatment (Sleep Aids and Stimulants)
Insomnia is difficulty in falling or staying asleep, the absence of restful sleep, or poor quality of sleep. Insomnia is a...
Sleep and Sleep Disorders in Children and Teenagers
Sleep needs in children and teenagers depend on the age of the child. Sleep disorders in children such as: sleep apnea,...
Sleep apnea is defined as a reduction or cessation of breathing during sleep. The three types of sleep apnea are central apnea,...
Sleep paralysis is a condition that causes a person to feel as if he or she is awake but is unable to move. Lack of sleep, sleep...
Sleep Related Breathing Disorders
Sleep-related breathing disorders are characterized by disruptions of normal breathing patterns that only occur during sleep....
Sleep: A Dynamic Activity
Second Source article from Government...
Why Do People Sleepwalk?
Sleepwalking is a condition in which an individual walks or does other activities while asleep. Factors associated with...
How to Stop Snoring
Snoring, like all other sounds, is caused by vibrations that cause particles in the air to form sound waves. While we are asleep,...
How to Stop Snoring Fast
Snoring is a condition in which during sleep, the tissues in the back of the throat vibrate as air passes over them. Home...
What Are the Causes of Restless Legs Syndrome?
Restless legs syndrome (RLS) is a condition that causes people to compulsively move their legs, especially when they are at rest....
What Are the Five Types of Insomnia?
The five types of insomnia are as follows: acute insomnia, chronic insomnia, onset insomnia, maintenance insomnia, and behavioral...
What Are the Three Types of Insomnia?
Insomnia is defined as repeated difficulty with sleep initiation, maintenance, consolidation, or quality that occurs despite...
What Are the Three Types of Sleep Apnea?
Sleep apnea is a sleep disorder that can potentially lead to serious health complications. In sleep apnea, the person may stop...
What Are the Warning Signs of Sleep Apnea?
Sleep apnea is a serious sleep disorder in which an individual’s breathing frequently stops during sleep. The inadequate...
Which Way Should You Face Your Bed? Rules for a Better Sleep
There is a lack of convincing scientific evidence to say that you should face your bed in a “particular” way or direction....
Why Am I Having Trouble Sleeping at Night?
Having repeated difficulty with sleep initiation, maintenance or poor quality of sleep that occurs despite adequate time and...
Why Can't I Sleep Although I'm Tired?
Difficulty falling asleep despite being tired is a sign that the circadian rhythm may be off. It more commonly affects young...
Why Can't I Sleep by Myself?
There are several reasons why it's hard to fall asleep alone, but there are many things you can do to combat the problem. You may...
Why Is Blue Light Bad for Sleep?
Blue light is a visible light spectrum with the shortest wavelength and highest energy. Exposure to blue light affects the...
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Sleep Better, Conquer Insomnia
What is insomnia? Insomnia by definition is trouble falling or staying asleep. Insomnia causes are varied. Learn 10 tips on how...
20 Tips to Beat Insomnia and Sleep Better
Good sleep hygiene leads to better sleep. Avoid insomnia and sleep better by minimizing stress, exercising, and taking proper...
Bed Basics: How to Get Your Best Sleep Ever
Sleep. It seems like the easiest thing in the world. Until it's not. See tips on how to get your best sleep. Our gallery shows...
The 14 Most Common Causes of Fatigue
Always feeling tired? Learn more about the causes of fatigue. Get tips to relieve symptoms of fatigue. Feel less tired and start...
Sleep Disorders: Foods That Help Sleep or Keep You Awake
Need more shut-eye? Your late-night cravings could be keeping you from a good night’s sleep. Should you drink green tea before...
Health & Balance: Don't Make These Morning Health Mistakes
Your morning routine can set the tone for the rest of your day. So don’t do these things when you get up!...
Insomnia Quiz: What Is Insomnia?
Insomnia affects all age groups, and is the most common sleep disorder in the world. There also seems to be a link between...
Jobs That May Ruin Your Sleep
Some jobs can lead to sleep problems like insomnia, especially for graveyard and other shift work. Learn how work can disrupt...
Sleep Cycle: What Happens When You Sleep
Sleep is a mystery to many of us, but scientists know quite a bit about how it affects us. Here's what happens to your body when...
Sleep Disorders: Dos and Don'ts After a Bad Night's Sleep
You didn’t sleep last night. Now what? Find out from WebMD what to do to make the best of the day and night ahead....
Sleep Disorders: How to Get Back to Sleep
Wide awake in the middle of the night? These tips will help you peacefully drift back to sleep....
Sleep Disorders: Insomnia, Sleep Apnea, and More
Learn about the different types of sleep disorders such as insomnia and sleep apnea. Explore the symptoms, causes, tests and...
Sleep Disorders: Why You Snore and How to Stop
Maybe you snore, and it keeps your partner up. Or maybe it's so loud it even wakes you up. But it can be more than a nuisance --...
Sleep Health: 20 Facts About Your Biological Body Clock
Biological clocks control much of human biology, including aging, hormones, sleep, fertility, and seasonal cycles. The body clock...
Sleep Quiz: Sleep Hygiene & Sleep Facts
Take our Sleeping Quiz to learn which sleep disorders, causes, and symptoms rule the night. Trouble falling or staying asleep?...
Wake-Up Tips: How to Make the Morning Easier
Here are eleven ways from WebMD to bound out of bed when your alarm goes off....
The Best Sleep Position for Your Health
What is the best sleep position? Learn ways to say good night to back pain, neck pain, snoring, arthritis, and airway...
Sleepless? Know the Signs of Sleep Deprivation
Think you may have sleep deprivation? Whether short term or long term, sleep deprivation can cause trouble. From weight gain to...
Health and Beauty: The Benefits of Beauty Sleep
Are you a night owl? Your late hours might show up on your face, so check out this slideshow to see why you need your beauty...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- 10 Tips to Avoid Insomnia and Get a Good Night's Sleep
- 8 Tips on How to Relax and Sleep When Stressed
- Ambien: Sleeping Pill FAQs
- Sleep: Are You Sleep Deprived?
- Sleep: At The Wheel With Sleep Apnea!
- Chloral Hydrate Uses and Risks
- Circadian Rhythm Disorders (Symptoms and Treatment)
- Progressive Muscle Relaxation
- Sleep Apnea Symptoms
- Trouble Sleeping? Insomnia May Be Why
Medications & Supplements
- armodafinil (Nuvigil)
- Belsomra (suvorexant) Side Effects, Warnings, and Drug Interactions
- Benzodiazepines (Benzodiazepine Drug Class)
- Benzodiazepines vs. Ambien
- caffeine (Enerjets, No Doz, Vivarin)
- chloral hydrate - oral
- Dayvigo (lemborexant)
- eszopiclone (Lunesta)
- Hetlioz LQ (tasimelteon)
- Hetlioz (tasimelteon)
- Hypnotics (for Sleep)
- Intermezzo (zolpidem)
- Klonopin (clonazepam) vs. Ambien (zolpidem)
- Klonopin (clonazepam) vs. Restoril (temazepam)
- modafinil (Provigil)
- Nembutal (pentobarbital sodium)
- ramelteon (Rozerem)
- Side Effects of Ambien (zolpidem)
- Side Effects of Lunesta (eszopiclone)
- Side Effects of Halcion (triazolam)
- Side Effects of Intermezzo (zolpidem)
- Side Effects of Provigil (modafinil)
- Side Effects of Rozerem (ramelteon)
- Side Effects of Xyrem (sodium oxybate)
- Sodium Oxybate (Xyrem)
- Side Effects of Sonata (zaleplon)
- triazolam (Halcion)
- Wakix (pitolisant)
- zaleplon (Sonata)
- zolpidem (Ambien)
- zopiclone (oral tablet)
Prevention & Wellness
- Sleep Disorders: Alternative Treatments
- Back to School, Back to Sleep
- Sleep Disorders: Behavioral Treatments
- Better Sleep on Business Trips
- Can a Mattress Improve Your Health?
- Sleep: Causes of Sleep Problems
- Sleep: Diagnosing Sleep Disorders
- Doze Control: Eat Right and You'll Sleep Like a Baby
- Dream Interpretation Offers Insight
- Sleep: Drug or Alcohol Sleep Disorders
- Sleep: How Did You Sleep Last Night?
- How Much Sleep Do Children Need?
- How To Get a Good Night's Sleep
- How to Pick Your Perfect Mattress
- How to Stay Awake Naturally
- Medical Treatments to Stop Snoring
- Sleep Disorders: Medications
- Napping at Work: America, It's Time for Your Nap
- Nix the Nightcap for Better Sleep?
- Parasomnias Often Under-Recognized, Misunderstood
- Parenting: Baby Got You Up At Night?
- Parenting: A Simple New Strategy May Put Bedtime Struggles to Sleep
- Preventing Sleep Problems
- Sex While Asleep
- Sleep and Aging
- Sleep and Chronic Illness
- Sleep and Menopause
- Sleep and Psychiatric Disorders
- Sleep and Travel
- Sleep Diary
- Sleep Disorders 101
- Sleep Disorders Fact or Fiction
- Sleep Disorders: Some More Unusual than Others
- Sleep Dos & Don'ts
- Sleep During Pregnancy
- Sleep Problems in Kids
- Sleep Related Eating Disorders
- Sleep Soundly During Pregnancy
- Sleep: 10 Tips to Get Better Sleep
- Sleep: 8 Ways to Love Your Snorer
- Sleep: A Good Nights Sleep
- Sleep: Coping With Couples' Different Sleep Needs
- Sleep: Counting Sheep?
- Sleep: Getting Enough Sleep
- Sleep: More Important Than You Think
- Power Down for Better Sleep
- Sleep: When to Call the Doctor
- Sleeping At Work: Tips to Stay Awake
- Sleeping Well in Hard Times
- Sleepless in America
- Sleep: Snore No More
- Snoring: Five Natural Remedies to Stop Snoring
- Snuggle Up With the Perfect Pillow
- Sleep Sound
- Insomnia: Sweat Yourself to Sleep
- The Best Mattress for a Good Night's Sleep
- Sleep: The Power of Napping
- Sleep-Easy Pill
- Sleep: The Sweet Science of Dozing
- Sleep: Tips for Sound Sleep
- Sleep, Perchance to Dream: All about Insomnia
- Sleep, Perchance to Sleep Soundly
- Sleep: Undercover Investigation
- What Your Sleeping Style Says About You