Patient Comments: Skin Tag - Symptoms

Did you experience any symptoms with your skin tags? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Frustrated, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: March 24

It started with a small breakage of the skin just below my left eye, in the cheekbone, caused probably by shaving. After a couple of weeks this had grown larger. I went to see a dermatologist who ordered a blood/culture. The results came back as shingles. By this time, more spots had developed on my left leg, chest, back and the face. There are a few spots in my hairs. Immediately I was sent for a series of antibiotics (IV). Now I am on antibiotics, taken orally. I notice that that one of the symptoms include itching, open sores. I do not have any of those. Other than that, apart from being fatigued all the time with no energy. Two or three times a day, without any warning I get this excruciating pain to an area above my left eye. This pain lasts usually around 5 minutes.

Comment from: Hippie64, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I am not sure what kind of doctor I need to see. I have a very large cluster of skin tags on my pubic area. They started out as just one tag but have grown into a large cluster about the size of my thumb. The cluster has feeling and I've tried over the years to remove them on my own. It's embarrassing and I'm not sure who to see about removing them.

Comment from: DjMiss, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

There is pain, redness, and pinching like pain in my skin tag if touched.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

No symptoms, I have small skin tags on my thighs, underneath my breast, one on my eyelid, and some in my private area. I"m taking garlic tablets as I don"t want to put a bunch of crazy things around my private area. I"ve been taking them 3 times a day, for about a week and they are starting to get smaller and darker. So hopefully they"ll be gone within a week or two. I"ll continue to take the garlic tablets as I don"t want them to return. I am on birth control as I suffer from heavy periods, so I think it"s the hormones from the birth control.

Comment from: Cambar, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

With anal skin tag removal, I was so scared and self-conscious about it because it looked horrible and I don't let my boyfriend look at it. Even myself at that I did not want to go to a doctor because I read a lot of stories that you bleed so much it hurts blah blah. Plus to save the embarrassment I decided to do it myself. I took alcohol, Hydrogen peroxide, cleaned the area, squatted over and cut the anal tag with heavy duty scissors. Fast and quick. I couldn't believe that I was actually going to go through with it but I said whatever and snipped it right off!!! It's not bleeding like crazy as people thought and said it would. I have a high tolerance for pain but now I just feel like a little wound by my anal area. I hope another one will not grow back (as so I heard) but it's all gone and I have a normal anal area. The reason why I believe I even got one was because my stool tends to be hard and it ripped my anal area. I guess that was just how it healed. Anyways all gone. I wanted to share my story because I did my research and never got an answer of someone actually doing it.

Comment from: Pearl, 75 or over (Patient) Published: August 05

I need to find out about a walking group together. I need to lose weight, and am a diabetic. I hate walking alone. I think that it is safer with a group.

Comment from: mike m, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

My doctor is also trained for skin issues and I have had many skin tags removed from everywhere! I had the same issue with a whole line in my groin area and had them removed. He is a doctor and has seen many and talked about much more embarrassing things. Do not bother with the home stuff as it is a waste of time.

Comment from: grey, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I have a problem! I have a huge anal skin tag which has bled a few times before and started to hurt! I had a brilliant idea of tying it down! (Don't think that was very smart!) However a little more than 24 hours later, it turned a grey white color and still hurts terribly. I really don't want to go to the doctor for this!

Comment from: Honey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have many, many skin tags in various places, none of them fun. I now have a large (plump raisin sized) one on my inner thigh that hurts. I have had ones on my neck that have bled after chafing by my seat belt.

Comment from: Taco, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I have been growing skin tags for years. I got tired of paying a doctor to remove them. I developed my own painless method. This works for medium to large tags. Cut a section of medical tape large enough to cover the tag and the surrounding area. Twist the tag as much as you can and tape it down holding the twisted tag in place. Remove the tape in 3 to 4 days. If the tag has not fallen off it will be black in color. The twist cuts off the blood flow and the tag dies. If it is black and still attached it should pull off without much effort. Always works for me.

Comment from: doodle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

No symptoms. My Mom took me to the doctors when I was in my early 20's, possibly late teens. He said he could remove them (skin tags on my neck) but suggested I just tie them off with a thread. I used the tie-off method on about 5 or so (all of what I had). Now I am 40 and I have a few more that have grown over the years so I decided to finally get the threat out and have my hubby tie a slip knot on them. He tied 3 of them off but I wouldn't suggest the slip knot because 1 thread fell off in my sleep, another stayed on but I could tell that it wasn't working (it was not getting dark and shrinking). The 3rd one was fine and it (the tag) fell off in like 2 or 3 days. They are very small tags. Just big enough to get caught in my bath poof while washing my neck. OUCH!!! I ended up just tying a new thread to the one that wasn't working and by the next day it looked like it was almost ready to fall off. It's a little awkward walking around with threat hanging from your neck but it's just temporary. Use flesh colored thread and tie it on using a simple overhand knot. Depending on the size, they usually just shrivel up and fall off in a few days.

Comment from: Robitaille, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

When I was born, I had skin tags on my ears and on my neck. The doctor said that it would result in kidney problems. So, he did a test and said my kidneys are perfectly fine. Then when I was about 4 or 5, I got them removed. The ones on my ears grew back because they did not cut them off correctly. But, now, I fear I have a kidney infection. I'm not sure if it is possible to get problems randomly like this even though my kidneys were already checked and fine.

Comment from: Bare Bob, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

As an underwear and swimwear model I began shaving off body hair, including in the bikini area. After tiring of this routine I looked into electrolysis, but no salons were willing to do the male bikini area, including scrotum, at the time (1990s). I resorted to waxing, which was very painful, sometimes pulling out chunks of skin, not much of a time-saver, nor was it cheap. After a year a skin tag appeared between my leg and scrotum. A year later there were four more in the same location. A dermatologist froze these off and a biopsy showed they were not warts. I discontinued waxing then (2008), and continue to shave, and haven't seen any more skin tags appear in that area or elsewhere. Beware: Waxing can cause skin tags.

Comment from: High Seas Drifter, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I've had a few skin tags over the years. My sister was training as a nurse, and delighted in having me lay on the floor while she arranged a load of sterilized instruments, before slicing a few tags off with a scalpel. Not much blood, and they didn't grow back. I have one on my neck at the moment, and don't want to snip it myself. My sister now lives on a different continent. So I've tied it with cotton thread. It's withering, and should be gone soon... ugly little thing.

Comment from: Tag teamed, 45-54 Female Published: August 08

When I got pregnant with my daughter, I noticed a small growth inside my thigh. A few weeks later I noticed another on the other thigh (inside also). Over the years, one has been growing while the other has stayed close to the skin. Now, after 15 years, one side has grown away from the thigh, but the connection to my skin is wide. I've thought about home remedies, but thought, hey I work hard and pay into health care, let the doctor do it. For now, since it's an irritant, (rubbing) I've decided to keep it down with Scotch tape, lol!!!

Comment from: Matt, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 06

I had several Skin tags that appear about 5-6 years ago. First were two small ones at the base of my neck and then several slightly larger ones in my armpits. I found out what they were and was content to leave them. Then a small one formed on my chest, just above my right arm pit. But after a year or two this one got quite large. Not quite as big as a grape, but definitely larger than a blueberry. That one was a bit embarassing when I went swimming etc, so I decided to do something. I bought one of those over the counter skin tag removal kits. I froze the ones on my neck, no problem, did a couple of the worst ones in my armpits. Then I tried for the big one. Despite trying two or three nights in a row, I was unsuccessful in removing it with the kit. I wish I'd heard the thread method, but instead I went to the doctor. They gave me a small shot to freeze the area and chopped it off, no problem. She actually asked me if I wanted to keep it! lol Since then I've seen no new tags and I'm getting the thread out to take care of the last of them!

Comment from: skintagsteve, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I recently cut off 6 skin tags on my chest, shoulder area, and eyelid with Swiss Army scissors. It couldn't have been easier. I prepped the scissor and tag with alcohol. I kept the alcohol in a shot glass and dipped the scissors in after each cut. Then I applied an antibiotic and I was all set.

Comment from: prettymomma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I have inflamed, red, irritated skin under my breasts from skin tags that rip, tch, and hurt.

Comment from: Hybridnat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

Since my early twenties I started having skin tags. They are growths that are black and stick out. All over my neck some on my face and some on my back and a big one on my breasts. They would get to a stage where they really hurt when exposed to the sun. I was self concious of them. I went to see my GP and he refered me to have the major ones surgically removed. The surgeon would use an anaesthetic cream and then would cut it out of the area and then cauterise it with heat. I had to have them removed over a period of three months and my surgery was every fortnight. It was painful and itchy but healed rather quickly. They collected the samples for the labs. I was happy when it was over, not much scarring. Eight months on some have returned and now I have one in the entrance to my right nostril.

Comment from: Don'tLikeTags, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I get tiny skin tags near my armpits and all around my bra line, especially when I work out regularly. I have found Amlactin to be very effective in getting rid of most of them.

Comment from: bea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

My skin tag would swell up and hurt a lot. I had a doctor cut it off. He did not deaden it and yes, it hurt. He then cauterized it and that hurt a lot more. I had used wart remover on it as I read you could, but it failed to remove the skin tag. It has been three days and it is still very sore and the area is now black. It has not bled and I usually bleed easily.

Comment from: Ruthy, 75 or over (Patient) Published: August 03

I had no symptoms whatsoever until my dermatologist removed it. Since then it has been about a month and the area is itchy and burning. The doctor gave me an antibiotic cream to put on it but so far it has not helped.

Published: June 30

I have had and still have a couple skin tags on my neck, one I was able to get rid of by an article I read in my daily newspaper. It said to use liquid band-aid. It worked, but it took a few weeks, and just fell off. The liquid bandaid does leave a light film when it dries, so I decided to try a different approach this time. I am now using a clear nail polish on another one that is driving me crazy! I will post the results when & if they are available.

Comment from: merlin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 13

I had several skin tags in my groin that used to snag on my underpants and became sore. I lived with them for 10 years. My wife did not like them so I had them removed by the doctor. (painlessly burned off). Within three months they grew back not just six but I now have about 50. There may be no evidence that having them cut off causes more to grow, but in my case many more have grown.

Comment from: webhealer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I am wondering if anyone one has experienced active immune response towards a preexisting skin tag. I have a skin tag under my arm for years. It is the size of a mung bean, and I could never find the courage to cut it off, because it does hurt when I pull on it. I have been taking some anti-oxidant supplement for my arm pain for a month or so, and I unexpectedly found that inflammation developed around the skin tag and within a week, the skin tag withered and fell off. This is amazing because I take it as a sign that our immune system does have the ability to clear abnormal growths, as benign as the skin tag it. I am hopeful that the smaller skin tags around my eyelid will gradually disappear.

Comment from: pickles, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

Irritation and slight bleeding due to me picking at them.

Comment from: noujsreader, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

Groups of tiny skin tags on each side of my neck cause irritation and itching from the necklaces I wear.

Comment from: zuzu, Female (Patient) Published: November 19

My mom said to rub potato inside skin on the skin tag several times a day and it fell off on the second day.

Comment from: qcgirl78, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I have a bunch of skin tags at the base of my neck and one under my arm pit. Most of them cause irritation and pain in these areas because of tank tops, shaving, deodorant, and jewelry I wear.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter