Patient Comments: Sinus Infection - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sinus infection? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Bad sinusitis su, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I have used oregano I think Sinu-Orega whilst pregnant and it was unbelievable great. Not sold in Ireland anymore but cleared my sinus tract instantly.

Comment from: bearylynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

For 10 years I have had chronic sinusitis. Oral antibiotic for as long as it takes is the only way things clear up. In winter, that can be 3 to 6 months. Oral antibiotics are not very effective; I don't metabolize well. The only (somewhat) effective one is cefpodoxime (Vantin), as it is not metabolized in the liver. Intramuscular antibiotic injections worked best for me, but doctors stopped using them in 1980s. My daughter was recently treated with intramuscular antibiotic injections and it worked better than anything in 23 years of her life. I've found one infectious disease doctor willing to treat with 7 days of IV antibiotics, but I believe the intramuscular antibiotic injections would be more effective and economical. Blood supply to sinus tissues is extremely limited, so it makes sense that intramuscular injection, which maintains low antibiotic level in tissues for a week, would work best. Also other necessary medicines for me are Qnasl (far better than any steroid nasal sprays) and Patanase (antihistamine nasal spray). I had allergy shots (8 years ago for a couple of years), I believe they were helpful, and am beginning to try them again. I have used and failed with nasal steroid sprays, custom mixed antibiotic/steroid nasal spray, liquid steroid (Pulmicort) in nasal rinse, Bactroban ointment (antibiotic ointment directly into nasal passages), and baby shampoo in sinus rinse. Also of note, 3 sinus surgeries caused scar tissue and aggravated lack of drainage/circulation. Later on, surgery was helpful for my daughter, but only because of what I learned from my own disastrous experience. I shopped for a surgeon who I trusted, and who confidently explained exactly what was to be done, specifically, limiting extent of the surgery to least possible trauma in order to effectively open passages.

Comment from: Nana, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

We retired to the mountains, from the busy city, approximately 5 years ago. About three years ago, I started having sinus problems, allergy related. I never had allergy problems in 62 years of life. My doctor explained that the same happened to her when she moved from the city to this area. Might have something to do with the abundance of the pine trees in the mountains. My sinus/allergy problems have all turned into infections. Antibiotics clear the infection, but help with the seasonal allergy came from the local herbal shop. Dr. Ali's sinus oil is what has helped with the allergy stuff. A little pricey, but well worth it. Nothing harmful in it, but advisable to check with your physician first.

Comment from: Damsellee910, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

Nasal irrigation saved me form the worst pain I have ever had from sinus infection! I just used warm salt water and within 15 minutes had relief that prescription painkillers couldn't do. I used a squirt bottle sold just for that reason.

Comment from: soozey1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I have found my sinus infections are closely related to dairy and sugar consumption. I have found when I cease to have these all my sinus infection also clears.

Comment from: Angela, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I have been battling chronic sinusitis for 6 months now. I have tried 4 different kinds of antibiotics (started on amoxicillin clavulanate, then Ceftin, then cefprozil, than Cipro) and none cleared the infection. Most of those antibiotics were for 2 weeks, the last for 3. I have been on fluticasone (nasal corticosteroid) for 5 months now. Nothing has proven effective. I still have a couple of months until I see an ENT. I've been doing saline rinses and anti-inflammatory oil based vapors. I'm at a loss for what to try while I wait and I'm miserable and can do nothing about it. My headaches are getting so bad too. I am looking for anything else I can try to get some relief while I wait. Yes, I've already consulted my doctor and a second doctor at a clinic. Just looking for ideas.

Comment from: Lynn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I have had two rounds of steroids, nose sprays, and antibiotics for my sinus infection since Thanksgiving to present, with no relief. Now it is affecting my sleep and rest. I don't know what else to do, I am miserable.

Comment from: cloud, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

Try stopping all dairy products for one year! This changed my life and got rid of my sinus infection.

Comment from: James, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

Bringing body acidity down and making it more alkaline, makes the body a less hospitable place for bacterial infections and helps with sinus infection. Other things that help are avoiding dairy products and sugar, eating greens, vegetables, or sweet potato yams and drinking lemon and apple cider vinegar with water. Hot towel on face and breathing in warm steam are nice. You can try echinacea extract.

Comment from: Don, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

Saline irrigation has been effective for sinus infection; warm salt water introduced nasally with head back. Repeat several times over sink. It's the best thing I've found.

Comment from: Hotmocha, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I have been having sinus infections for over 20 years. I have undergone 4 surgeries and I still am having the same problems. I feel that this is an area that cannot be corrected with surgery. I have been treated by two different physicians. The first surgery was to put two holes in my sinuses to allow them to drain and then I developed scar tissue. The scar tissue was removed and a stent was put in to prevent further scarring. I then had to have the stent removed. It is three years later and I am back in the same position. I had to undergo another surgery because my MRI appeared to look the same as before as if I had never had any surgery. Today, I am experiencing the same problems, sinusitis and nosebleeds constantly. I am done with sinus surgeries. I will just have to live with it.

Comment from: G MA, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have had sinus infections since age of 3. I had a baby hot water bottle for my face. It is harder to get needed antibiotics other than Lortab. I sleep on three pillows and use a hot rag, with a heating pad on top and hope for a kidney infection because the same antibiotic sulfur drug works on both.

Comment from: karmabarb3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I have been feeling light headed and airy my eyes seem to dance. I found that my blood pressure had reached 172/105 so doctors put me on Diovanhct320mg, now that fixed that, but I still feel wishy in my head in my eyes. My throat started to hurt, then my jaw behind my eyes, I have been having small headaches, but the pain that is in my face, neck, and throat areas is so bad that I am taking the generic pill for Lortab 10-500 2x's a day. I called my doctor and asked for amoxicillin she gave me a 14 day500 2x's a day. It doesn't seem to be working. I have increased my pain pill. I drive a school bus for a living. Should I go to my doctor's office tomorrow and find out what to do. My sister said she was hospitalized for 7 days with the same thing. She said I could die. Is this true?

Comment from: guck nose, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I have had 2 surgeries in 1 year to try to get rid of my chronic sinus infections. In the first surgery I had my deviated septum straightened and bones removed in the maxillary and frontal sinuses to improve mucus flow. That however wasn't enough 3 months later I was suffering again. In the second surgery more holes were drilled and a balloon sinuplasty was attempted. I had relief for only 3 months again and now I have sinus infection again. My routine usually includes salt rinses 2 times a day, veramyst daily, singular, Claritin-D, Sudafed and Ibuprofen around the clock. Plus, I drink linden berry and peppermint tea to help thin the mucus. However, what I have found to be the most effective, yet most uncomfortable remedy is to do an Iodine rinse along with the salt rinse. It burns, tingles and makes the eyes water for about 5 minutes, but it seems to be the only thing at of all of the above that has really given me any relief. Iodine is an antibacterial and helps kill the bacteria, plus keeps the nose environment sterile. The solution must be mixed by a pharmacy by a prescription order.

Comment from: Ann, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I am almost 70 yrs old and have suffered with sinus problems since I was 17 yrs old. During the early years I had washouts where they inserted needles and washed out the mucus, very uncomfortable. Then I had a bone scraping to see if this would enlarge the airway, all to no avail. I don't get the problem as much now, but find that when I do I have to resort to antibiotics. Bactrim seems to be the best. I have side effects with a lot of medication and am allergic to Penicillin. I am finding that the problem starts again when I am in a smoke related area. Even walking down the street behind someone who is smoking will trigger another episode.

Comment from: zipydoodah, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I have has sinus problems since I was a young child. Reaching 40 and being diagnosed with chronic sinusitis has led to a lot of trial and error for my specific condition. I must agree with the prior post about the neti pot, it really works and gives relief almost instantly. The frequency of antibiotic treatment (Amox/Clav) has been greatly reduced. There came a time where I was willing to try anything, even that silly "neti pot". I typed in a search on YouTube and actually saw a video posted about how it is done. The silly and safe technique works.

Comment from: catskismet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

As a person who has had 4 sinus surgeries. If you get more then one a month you need to be on antibodies for at least 2-3 weeks. Also, do salt water rinse every day. You won't get as many infections throughout the year. That's how they came up with the neti pot. It's cheaper to use a syringe or water in the palm of your hand and sniff it up into the nasal cavities. This really works. I have not done my washes in 4 weeks. Now I have had my second sinus infection in 4 weeks. So, amoxycillin and toroidal and back to the sinus wash. Again it's a teaspoon of salt to a very large cup of warm water. Hope everyone feels better. I am off to do a salt water rinse. BTW do take care of them don't blow off a sinus infection.

Comment from: Zambales, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

My case is almost similar to the one published last July except that mine is on the left side maxillary sinusitis. I woke up with pain on the whole left side of my face and observed it for a day and tried to figure out if it was dental or sinus problem. I went to see a doctor the following day and had 4 x-rays taken and found out that my left nasal cavity was filled with mucous that couldn't escape or drain. He prescribed Klaricid 500 mg once a day and clindamycin 300 mg. 3 times a day and it's been 3 days now and the swelling has subsided. I live in the Philippines and this is the first time it happened to me. Usually, just minor allergies and sinus problems, but never this painful swelling.

Comment from: Diana M., 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 19

My 10-year-old child had a recurring sinus infection. She was on nasal spray therapy (Nasonex) for her rhinitis. Because of her monthly basis of sinus infections, her pediatrician recommended that she use a saline solution spray every day, even if she has no symptoms at all. I found this to be effective, for it has been four months now and her sinus infection has not recurred.

Comment from: Mike J., 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

Ketek is the only strong antibiotic that works for me to clear bacterial sinus infections. I have tried other antibiotics, but nothing works as fast and thorough as Ketek. I know there are risks to the liver taking this medicine, but I know this works every time I get a bad sinus infection from bacteria.

Published: June 09

I currently have an acute sinus infection which affects the right maxillary cavity only. I had the same problem only two weeks ago but it returned this morning. In my case, the pain has been excruciating and similar to having several toothaches all at one time. Also slight facial swelling, a mild fever and general malaise. I saw a dentist thinking it was a tooth-related but X-rays revealed the sinus infection. The treatment consists of 10 days' Amoxicillin and for pain, Tylenol Arthritis Strength tablets seem to work better than regular Tylenol or Ibuprofen tablets. The first infection lasted approximately five days before the symptoms eased.

Comment from: Ranjit, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I'm suffering from sinus problem for the last 9 years. Till this time I have not been able to control this problem. I have taken lot of medicines and nasal spray, which have not helped. I have consulted all the best ENTS but the medicine they have suggested to me have not helped. Due to this problem I suffer from headache, reddish eyes, watering from eyes, fever, nose watering, etc. I take allopathic and homeopathy medicines but they don't help me.

Comment from: Timbar, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

Snorting saline solution or a product mentioned by someone else called Sino-Fresh,(a spray with mild antibiotic properties)are the only things that have worked for me over the last fifty years.

Comment from: lollipop, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

Overnight woke up with runny nose, coughing, sore throat, itchy eyes, achy face. Got worse over two days. Went to the doctor. Had ear infection also. She gave me Cefdinir 300 mg, and I felt better the next day. No more symptoms, maybe an occasional cough but it worked. I inhaled too much smoke from a grill. Now I will not stop grilling but I will wear a mask from now on.

Comment from: Nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

Lie back on your bed with your head hanging off the side and wash out your sinuses with a saline solution. Shake it all around and then sit up and let it drain out. Be sure to breathe through your mouth!

Comment from: Stuffy in NYC, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have had a sinus infection for the past eight days and have tried all sorts of over-the-counter medicines to relieve the congestion and breathe clearly: Tylenol Cold and Sinus, cough syrups, lozenges, Sudafed -- nothing has alleviated the congestion until I tried the neti pot. It is a natural way to clear the nasal passages with mild salt water, and it works! The mucus just came out, and I am finally able to breathe!

Comment from: Randy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I recently had an MRI to try and pinpoint why I have been getting migraines. The results informed me that I have chronic sphenoid sinusitis and chronic ethmoid sinusitis. I was prescribed Imitrex for my headaches and am almost to the point of needing one to two every day.

Comment from: ChronicSinusitis, 19-24 (Patient) Published: August 28

Zithromax and Rhinocort Aqua help when I have a sinus infection.

Published: July 09

Recently I flew in an aircraft (ear plugs especially designed for flying). I was in extreme pain with sinus and an ear infection. The doctor on my holiday said my ear almost looked perforated. He prescribed me Solone and Zinnat and I flew back within 48hours of taking them and even read a book on the flight with my earplugs in. This happened in Australia my home

Published: June 05

I have been diagnosed as having chronic sinus infection. Treated with Augmentin for 14 days and Nasonex. I live in Jakarta and went to Bangkok for treatment. I am better now but still have runny nose and a little cough in the morning. I want to avoid surgery. I have no pain now and had none earlier.

Comment from: CaliforniaGirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

My mom's been suffering with sinusitis for years and years, and does use the Neti pot regularly, which helps a lot. She's also had extremely good luck with a product called Sino Fresh, which contains a natural antiseptic. It's available in many grocery stores, health food stores, or on-line. It's a nice alternative to prescribed antibiotics, and has often provided relief for her when prescriptions were not helping. I've used it with success too, when I get sinusitis occasionally.

Comment from: itsjenjen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I have periodic bouts of sinusitis, primarily due to seasonal allergies. I have found that saline flushes from a neti pot or Simply Saline along with warm salt water gargles give me the most relief. The great thing about the saline is that you can use it as often as needed.

Comment from: vickyd, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 04

My husband has sinus problems due to Wegeners. He gets a lot of drainage that makes him sick to his stomach. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be good for him to take? He is a TP patient as well and on immuno drugs. He can't seem to find a med that gives him some relief.

Published: July 31

My symptoms are greatly reduced by strong oral antibiotics. My problem, being in a HMO, is finding a doctor that will prescribe something stronger than Benadryl. Usually after 4-6 days of treatment, the infection goes away.

Comment from: laluna404, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

Advil Cold and Sinus has been very effective for clearing up my sinus pain, it takes anywhere from 2 to 5 days to get back to normal.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Allergy and Asthma Newsletter