Patient Comments: Sinus Infection - Symptoms

What were your symptoms for sinus infection? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: R. Paul, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I am 81 years old, have been very active sport wise. I never smoked. I never had a back problem until now. My sciatica is causing all sorts of problems. I have been going to a chiropractor for three weeks now. I have been using ice packs. My doctor prescribed gabapentin 300 mg, I see where others are taken up to 3,000 mg. I will increase the dosage and see if that helps. I have a hard time getting out of bed, once I am up I sit in a straight back chair for 10 to 15 minutes and then I can walk with the use of a cane. Pain medications help once I am up and about. I will try coffee tonight.

Comment from: bearylynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

The symptoms of my sinus infection are general fatigue, brain fog, blurry vision, and painful upper teeth.

Comment from: smeggy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I had a DTAP (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis) shot last Friday. It was totally fine at first, but 5 days later (yesterday) the soreness started. Also there was a bit of swelling where the shot was given, with a few small red blotches under it. Today it is even more swollen and there are more blotches traveling farther down my arm. The pain level is about the same but it seems like it is in my shoulder now too. The pain seems worse when I raise my arm up. It's also getting a bit itchy where the red splotches are and my whole upper arm feels hot to the touch. I tried icing it but that makes it itch more and start to prickle. So I am just leaving it alone and hoping it doesn't get worse.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I had sever coughing that was it. After 3 months I did a CT and I have a severe sinus infection.

Comment from: Chris31UK, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I'm a 31 year old male, previously a smoker before my first pneumothorax. The first time my bottom right lung collapsed and I thought it was angina or heart attack. I was rushed to hospital and they stuck a syringe in and then re-inflated the collapsed part. The following day I was just finishing smoking and I could feel a pain when I breathed in and out and felt my lung capacity drop to 50 percent. I was rushed to hospital again and had a drain. After being on and off suction 3 times they operated and used talc to stick my lung to the wall. My lung is still only 93 percent inflated and I have been in hospital 4 weeks so far. (I am still here!) I'm on flutter bag for the 3rd time now and as long as my lung does not deflate even more in the next 48 hours at least I can go home. I have never known pain like this and would never wish it on anyone. It is actually really scary because most people have recovered in at least half the time I have been here so who knows how long this will last and what the end result will be. My last words; live your life and regret nothing. Spend as much time with your family as possible. One day it will be too late.

Comment from: roy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I have now reached 18 months of earache, upper tooth ache, and sore throat, and my nose feels as if it has been punched. Also my mouth hurts. I have had 14 visits to my doctor and 2 visits to my local hospital. A scan in December 2013 revealed an infection in my sinuses. I think I have tried every tablet spray and DHS (Department of Human Services) treatment listed. To ease my throat I use mouthwash and retire to bed early. I do not know which way to go now.

Comment from: Doreen, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I went to my doctor over 3 months ago because of terrible pressure in my head and ears. It was diagnosed as acute sinusitis and I needed my ears syringed. I was given an antibiotic and nasal spray, advised to use olive oil in my ears to soften the wax for syringing. The discharges from nose, green, yellow and blood have pretty well cleared up finally. However, I still have extreme pressure in my head and ears and high pitched noise in my ears and I am coughing all the time. I have trouble with vertigo, have had two trips to the emergency room, 2nd was by ambulance. Each time the pressure and pain in my head and ears are terrible, I have no balance, bad shaking, vomiting and my blood pressure spikes up to 202/92. The 1st time in Emergency the doctor said not to take any more antibiotics and put me on the saline wash and the nasal spray. The last 2 weeks I have noticed pain in my eyes and my eyesight is affected. I am at my wit's end, I can't handle this much longer. I have no energy and just feel like sleeping most of the time. My family doctor did make an appointment for me to see an eye, nose and throat specialist; I just found out today that the wait is 12 months.

Comment from: emmie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I am suffering from chronic sinusitis for a long time now and it has affected my eyes. They are burning the whole day and I am photo phobic as well. I have tried a lot of stuff and am using eye drops on a regular base. At this stage I started to use cayenne pepper, the pure one, a pinch every morning mixed with honey and it seems as if it is started working just after 3 days use.

Comment from: Chrissy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I developed sinus infection due to 2 teeth requiring root canal treatment. I didn"t realize I had sinus, although I was a little congested. The dentist took x-rays and said I had an infection in the upper jaw from the 2 teeth, and this had caused the sinus. I feel much better now. Sinus has cleared to a large degree. Headaches have disappeared significantly as well.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

My ENT treated me for about 2 years, did all the testing, said I had sinus disease. She wanted me to have the sinus operation everyone dreads due to a deviated septum. I declined. Years ago I had a crown on one of my teeth. From that day I had allot of pain, the dentist saying it would go away. It got worse, after about 2 years, had severe pain on right side of face, went to MD, Neurologist, and dentist. MD thought it was Trigeminal Neuralgia. Not so, had another dentist in the same office as first dentist, do a root canal on same tooth, never had any more trouble with pain but still have sinusitis.

Comment from: Pali, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 03

I have Jaw pain which increases and decreases time to time. I took antibiotic medicine, Nasal sprays, and anti-allergy tablets. Pain gone away for few days and came back. Also I feel little pain on my chest muscle, right side of breast nipple and little above the heart. Mainly while turning my neck, pain increases. Please give some medical advice about my jaw pain. Thanks.

Comment from: jpshields, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I have found a cure for my sciatica. If you can't sleep at all at night due to pain, try one 8 oz. cup of coffee, one hour before bedtime.

Comment from: Joy, Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I have a bad taste in my mouth because of sinus infection.

Comment from: Brian, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

I had blocked Eustachian tubes for 9 months caused by viral infection leading to sinusitis and anxiety.

Comment from: tcm, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

Eyes, head, teeth, jaw aching. My eyes are very sensitive to light. 101.5 temperature. I am on Amoxicillin right now.

Comment from: jb, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

Can two bad molar teeth cause a sinus infection? I blew my nose and thick yellow mucus that had a terrible odor came out. Now that odor stays in my nose when I blow it. This has never happened before. It's all on the upper left side.

Comment from: maryellengreen712yah, 55-64 (Patient) Published: April 05

Two weeks ago, I had upper teeth extracted. I wasn't sick until about a week later, when I got upper respiratory problems. My nose, throat, and sinuses have been bad. I have not been able to wear my dentures. My gums still look inflamed and I am on a second course of antibiotics.

Comment from: kays, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I suffer from sinus infections. It was discoverd when I went to clinic for a constant headache on the side, it was treated, but now after a year its back and now my ears are muffled like water has blocked them, could this be sinus problem as well?

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I went through years of chronic sinus infections, until it got to a point that I "could" diagnose them before all the symptoms set in. I even had two sinus surgeries, both of which helped, but did not resolve the issue. I noticed that my symptoms sometimes corresponded to changes in barometric pressure. I thought that if it were that predictable, it should be more easily treatable. I started researching. Do you know what I found? Some migraines can feel like a sinus infection. I was having migraines in addition to sinus infections, without knowing it. Now I know the difference, but I wonder if a second surgery was really necessary.

Comment from: Sinupretsa, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

That would be the headaches, sinus pressure, nasal congestion and at times a bit of dizziness.

Comment from: Raymonda, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

My sinus symtoms are bleeding nose, blocked nose, exhausions, shortness of breath,sneezing, headache and sore throat. My doc. prescribe amoxcylin and menthol crystals to inhale in hot water. I have been taking loratadine every night but apparently they are not preventing the sinus infection.

Comment from: Dee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

My sinusitis symptoms are: runny nose, exhaustion, shortness of breath, sneezing, bad cough, headache, low grade fever, and sore throat. My doc prescribed a 5 day Azithromycin 250 mg dose pack. I took 2 tabs the 1st day, and then I take 1 tab daily for 4 days. I take an OTC allergy medicine daily, but apparently it wasn't enough to prevent this sinus infection.

Comment from: sparky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I have severe sinus trouble due to a tumor that is near my sinus cavity. I have been blowing out chunks of dry blood & other discolored yuck for over 6 months now, and I cannot take this any more. i blow my nose at least 20 times a day & have headaches constantly. what can i do?

Comment from: LadySusan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

The symptoms of my sinus infection are a very sore throat in the back of my throat and tonsils. My ears hurt, I have a runny nose, yellow discharge, headache, pressure behind my eyes and cheeks, and watery eyes. I am also very tired. I have had this for more than one month. I went to the doctor and she said to use Claritin D, a nose spray, Mucinex, and Tylenol for pain. She said it was viral and antibiotics would not help. A month is a long time to not feel good and try to function and work.

Comment from: Wendy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I had extreme pain on the one side of my face which went down into my teeth and jaws and ear. Clear nose which gets painful especially in the cold weather. I have had sinus infections for many years and have suffered in silence. The last time, the pain was unbearable and I had to get an antibiotic to clear the obvious infection.

Comment from: Josephine, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I tried everything: antibiotics, nasal irrigation, you name it, I tried it. The only thing that got rid of my chronic sinus infections was a natural nose spray called Sinus Soothe. Apparently it contains natural antibiotics and natural antifungals. It helped relieve my sinus pain, headaches and nasal congestion.

Comment from: sandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I have extreme pain, in my right ear, jaw pain, face. My face is swollen, right eye feels swollen to the point where is wants to pop out of my face. I'm on pain killers which make my sick and I'm also on antibiotics have been for 3 weeks. Had this problem for years. Been through 3 doctors.

Comment from: Allie, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 19

I have severe face pain and have been on amoxicillin. This med has helped reduce the infection to the point of one side of my face hurting instead of both sides. However, I have now developed a cloudy eye on the side of my face that no longer hurts.

Comment from: GradStudent68, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

My sinus infection symptoms follow my allergies flaring up. I have pain and swelling in my sinuses, but usually the discharge is clear. On rare occasions, the discharge is yellow. My ear is usually affected.

Comment from: Mom, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 20

My son has had a headache for 10 days and been on antibiotic for 3 days and still is no better. Should I be taking him in for more testing they said it is a sinus infection. He is very tired and weak. He in unable to take a shower without having to sit down.

Comment from: Gamanuel, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

Since I was born, I had major problems with my sinuses. Now that I'm 21, there's some type of soft tissue that's growing inside my left nostril, and it's scary, cause sometimes I cut some of it...

Comment from: whiskeygirl, Male (Patient) Published: January 31

Felt tired for several months, mucus draining going down my throat and a couple times a month coughing up a lot of mucus. Very sensitive to cold air. I thought it was just a bad cold. I think it started with an infected tooth. My dentist took an x-ray and said it had gone up into my sinus.

Comment from: JMcC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I had pain around the nose and a bad sore throat. Then a puffy large area of redness and lumps on the skin of one half of my face, very sore on that part of the face and hot to the touch. Mild headache, lethargy.

Comment from: Lungile, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

Sneezing a lot especially at night, Itching and swollen eyes. Ears were burning.

Comment from: sore, 55-64 Female Published: January 11

Not being able to breathe, cough, no sense of smell or taste. Sinus headache, ringing ears, sore head.

Comment from: Marie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I have a headach and experience pain when leaning forward. I also have a little ear pain.

Comment from: Anthonybug, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I had pain near the brows and the tops of my cheeks. Congestion, runny nose, and discharge both clear and of a yellow color. Headache on the third day and felt greatly clouded and fatigued.

Published: April 19

I had what I thought was a toothache in one of my top back molars. I went to the dentist, he X-rayed and found nothing. When I told him that it hurt more when I put my head down, he quickly determined it must be my sinuses. He gave me a prescription for an antibiotic and peace of mind that it wasn't my teeth!

Comment from: Rebica, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I usually have long cold, and there is usually blood in the nasal discharge, frequent headaches, and breathing problems. I can't breathe through both nostrils, which is the biggest pain in my life. I have consulted many doctors, but they say that one of the bones in one of my nostrils is not straight. And they also said that there is no longtime cure or permanent cure. I want to get rid of this problem. As this is effecting my career and personal life too.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Allergy and Asthma Newsletter