Patient Comments: Sinus Infection - Causes

Are you prone to sinus infections? If so, what do you believe is the cause(s)? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Bev R, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I think my sinus infection started with my CPAP machine. I use the nasal pillow which I thought was working. Force of air perhaps was too strong. It dried out my sinuses and mouth. I almost get panic attacks from not being able to pull the buildup of mucus into my throat to hawk it out. I would be so happy to get rid of the pressure. I am getting a CAT scan. When I read of what a person has to go through with nasal packing and breathing through the mouth I about freak out. This seems to be part of the procedure. I have tried all the rinses and other home remedies. I even watched some YouTube videos on how to clear your sinuses but it does not clear mine. At least it helps to write here.

Comment from: CHFarris, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I moved to a very dry, agricultural part of California from a very moist, foggy city. Ever since I moved, I started having sinus problems that I had never experienced before. These included runny nose, sores inside my nose, red eyes and crustiness around my nostrils. I had to have a parotidectomy, then got a bad cold. After that I also developed a lot of ear problems that resulted in severe tinnitus, the sound of water in my ears and depressed hearing. I've been seeing an ENT for the past year. I've been on antibiotics (did nothing), had my ears drained and subsequently had tubes put in. I take two OTC allergy pills per day and use a steroidal nasal spray at night. This keeps my symptoms in check. I believe I won't have relief until I get out of this area and away from the agricultural spraying, pesticides, fertilizers, etc.

Comment from: Hannah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I have severe asthma. My neighbors chain smoke all day and all night. It drifts into our house despite herculean efforts to block it. They are less than 5 feet from my windows and air conditioner the whole time. These two things definitely irritate and leave me vulnerable to not just violent asthma attacks but almost constant sinus and allergy issues.

Comment from: harry1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I have had problems with sinuses since using e-cigarettes 12 months ago. I think I am allergic to propylene.

Comment from: BabsB, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I am not prone to sinus infections. This week we have had a cold spell in Florida, I had a drippy nose for a few days, and then suddenly a severe pain through my right nostril. I took allergy medicines and in a few hours the severe pain was gone. The right side of my head still has a mild, dull headache. Due to the cold spell, I have not been drinking the amount of water a day I should, (only with medicines) mostly warm drinks like coffee, etc. Never had anything like this happen before, I generally am in good health.

Comment from: Roelof, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

When you deal with the emotional turmoil of lifelong anger, less adrenaline and consequently histamines will be produced. Then the sinuses will stay clear!

Comment from: Tom, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 07

My sinus infection was apparently caused by an infected tooth which had to be removed after an x-ray.

Comment from: himanshu, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 24

I got diagnosed with sinus infection very late now when it has caused a clot in my neck. It gets worse in winters and nose mucus keeps flowing.

Comment from: May, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

After dental treatment with implants I developed a sinus infection and still have a horrible taste in my mouth when I wake up in morning.

Comment from: InPain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

A dog bit my face, puncturing the bridge of my nose. I have a sinus infection as a result because bacteria invaded; I also had a skin rash as a result. It's the worst injury ever since I may also have nerve damage and pain in the area where the canine caused a deep puncture wound. I am miserable.

Comment from: Hattchu!, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

A bit of Vicks VapoRub in (a cup or bowl of) hot water, with a towel over the head like a tent, and breathe through nose.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Allergy and Asthma Newsletter