Patient Comments: Sinus Infection - Home Remedies

Please share your home remedies for treating sinus infections. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Rick, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

Over the past 10 years I have had walking pneumonia 4 times. I never understood how this happened, now I understand. My doctor tells me that I have bad allergies. This is the first step that can lead to walking pneumonia. If my allergies are bad, especially in the fall and spring, this can lead to sinus infection which is step 2 to walking pneumonia. If I sense a sinus infection coming on I go to the doctor right away. Just recently I have discovered that if I use my Neti pot twice a day I feel a lot better. I may start doing it 3 times a day.

Comment from: bearylynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

Warm, dry, sunny weather is the only consistent solution (10 years chronic sinusitis). Other (too many to name) home remedies never work consistently, but in order of decreasing effectiveness: Waterpik with nasal attachment, saline, Lugol's iodine, and colloidal silver to flush sinuses (same solution to thoroughly clean teeth/mouth). Steam inhalation with tea tree oil and/or oil of oregano and/or eucalyptus oil and/or lemon oil. Infrared light to heat sinus areas. Coconut oil; insert small amount in nasal passage, followed by a small twisted piece of paper towel (after hours, infected secretions stick to the paper towel). Direct sunlight on my face, when it is available. Oil pulling with coconut oil; swishing oil in mouth for an extended time cleans up the mouth.

Comment from: Faith, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

The ENT doctors suggested sinus surgery for treating sinus infection and to open up sinuses; I did it and it did not help. I went to 3 dentists and one found decay under the filling under a top molar, I had it addressed and felt much better. I also was told by my ND (naturopathic doctor) to stop dairy, wheat and sugar for a few months and see how I feel, since it could be an allergic reaction to something I was eating. I also started drinking 2 drops of oregano oil in my water daily. I also read about intracranial pressure causing some issues similar to sinus issues, and CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) leaks or dental cavitations may also be the source. Just some suggestions for people searching for answers.

Comment from: WingsOWorld, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Both parents suffered from sinus problems. Having a congenital malformation of left eustachian tube leaves me more prone to sinus type problems. A few tricks I have learned: Keep sinus draining by using a few sprinkles of cayenne pepper or a few flakes on red chilies (the type you put on pizza) on your food. For sinus headaches (akin to migraines, just as painful), take 1 caffeine tab, (known as Stay Awake, and cheap). Sinuses will begin to drain within 5 to 10 minutes and headache will disappear. I always try natural remedies first, successfully.

Comment from: prince, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 12

Deep inhalation is the best way to treat sinusitis.

Comment from: Andii, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 12

Hot tea with lemon juice works to soothe your throat and helps loosen up the mucus.

Comment from: good advice, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

Go with oil of oregano and green tea. It works.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Allergy and Asthma Newsletter