Sinus infection (sinusitis) is caused by allergies, infection, and chemicals or other irritants of sinuses. Signs and symptoms are headache, fever, and facial tenderness, pressure, or pain. Treatments of sinus infections are generally with antibiotics and at times, home remedies. Read more: Sinus Infection (Sinusitis) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Common Cold Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take this quiz to learn the truth behind the infectious, contagious, uncomfortable disease known as the common cold. Test your...
Allergies Quiz: Symptoms & Home Remedies
What are the causes of allergies? This online quiz challenges your knowledge of common food and household allergens,...
Cold & Flu Quiz: Influenza vs. Common Cold
Aches? Pain? Fever? This Cold & Flu Quiz tests your knowledge on the difference between coming down with the common cold and...
Strep (Streptococcal) Throat Infection Quiz: Test Your Infectious Disease IQ
Take the Strep (Streptococcal) Throat Infection Quiz to learn about causes, symptoms, treatments, prevention methods, diagnosis,...
Picture of Sinuses
The sinuses are an air-filled cavity in a dense portion of a skull bone. See a picture of the Sinuses and learn more about the...
Natural Remedies for Cold and Flu
What natural remedies work for the flu and common cold? Many claim cold symptoms and flu symptoms can be relieved with Echinacea,...
How to Prevent the Common Cold
The common cold is arguably the most common human illness. Learn how long the common cold lasts, treatment for the common cold...
Sore Throat or Strep Throat? How to Tell the Difference
Explore the types and causes of a sore throat through pictures, including strep throat, and learn how to find relief from that...
Sinus Infection (Sinusitis) Symptoms & Treatment
Sinus infection (sinusitis) symptoms can include headaches, a sore throat, and toothaches. Chronic sinusitis may be caused by...
Pictures of Allergy Relief Tips at Home: AC Filters, Electronic Air Cleaners, and More
Learn how a combination of medication, preventing allergens, and allergy relief products can reduce allergy symptoms and help you...
Nasal Irrigation: Natural Relief for Cold & Allergy Symptoms
Nasal irrigation can relieve sinus symptoms associated with colds & allergies. Learn how nasal irrigation can help unclog sinuses...
Beauty Problems Pictures: Cellulite, Stretch Marks, and More in Pictures
Learn the connection between your appearance and health. Discover what you can do about embarrassing beauty problems from facial...
Cold, Fever and Flu Treatment in Children: Medications and Home Remedies
Colds and fevers are some of the most common ailments in children. Learn common cold symptoms, treatment options, over the...
Bacterial Infections 101: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments
Learn more about bacteria and the most common bacterial infections. Get more information on bacterial skin infections, which...
Healthy Living: 20 Common Health Myths Exposed
Can vitamin C cure colds? Read as we dispel the half-truths and common myths of health, from X-rays to eggs, from the...
A Cold or The Flu? How to Tell the Difference
Learn common symptoms of a cold and the flu. Discover the difference between a cold and the flu. Read about cold and flu...
How to Relieve Sinus Pressure and Pain Naturally
What are sinuses? Sinus pressure and nasal congestion can cause pain and interfere with your daily life. Discover natural...
Sinus Infection: Sinusitis Dos and Don'ts
Is it OK to fly when you've got sinusitis? How about going to work? WebMD helps you decide what's right and wrong when you're all...
Related Disease Conditions
Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)
Second Source WebMD Medical Reference...
Tonsillitis (Adnoiditis, Symptoms, Home Treatment, Pictures, Causes)
Tonsillitis is a contagious infection with symptoms of bad breath, snoring, congestion, headache, hoarseness, laryngitis,...
Asthma is a condition in which hyperreactive airways constrict and result in symptoms like wheezing, coughing, and shortness of...
The common cold (viral upper respiratory tract infection) is a contagious illness that may be caused by various viruses. Symptoms...
Cystic fibrosis is a disease of the mucus and sweat glands. Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disease. The outcome of the disease...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Hay Fever (Allergic Rhinitis)
Hay fever (allergic rhinitis) is an irritation of the nose caused by pollen and is associated with the following allergic...
Reflux Laryngitis (Diet, Home Remedies, Medicine)
Reflux laryngitis is caused by acid refluxing back up through the esophagus and voice box. Reflux laryngitis causes irritation...
Sore throat (throat pain) usually is described as pain or discomfort in the throat area. A sore throat may be caused...
A toothache is a pain on or around a tooth. It may be caused by a variety of things from a cavity, abscess, or even sinusitis....
Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis
Granulomatosis with polyangiitis is a condition that usually affects young or middle-aged adults, is an inflammation of the...
Bad breath can result from poor oral hygiene habits and may be a sign of other health problems. Bad breath, also called...
Cough (Chronic, Persistent Cough in Adults and Children)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such as asthma, allergic...
Sleep apnea is defined as a reduction or cessation of breathing during sleep. The three types of sleep apnea are central apnea,...
Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip (Symptoms, Treatment)
Chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip symptoms include an itchy, runny nose, sneezing, itchy ears, eyes, and throat. Seasonal...
An allergy refers to a misguided reaction by our immune system in response to bodily contact with certain foreign substances. ...
Nosebleeds are common in dry climates during winter months, and in hot dry climates with low humidity. People taking blood...
Cleidocranial dysplasia is a genetic condition. Cleidocranial dysplasia is also referred to as cleidocranial dysostosis and...
Eustachian Tube Problems (Ear Tube Dysfunction, Blockage)
The Eustachian tube is a membrane lined tube that connects the middle ear space to the back of the nose. Symptoms of Eustachian...
Cold, Flu, Allergy Treatments
Before treating a cold, the flu, or allergies with over-the-counter (OTC) medications, it's important to know what's causing the...
There are many unusual symptoms of asthma, including sighing, difficulty sleeping, anxiety, chronic cough, recurrent walking...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Reduction of the sense of smell is termed hyposmia. Total inability to detect odors is termed anosmia. Smell disorders have many...
Headaches in Children
Kids get headaches and migraines too. Many adults with headaches started having them as kids, in fact, 20% of adult headache...
Bronchitis (Acute) Symptoms, Causes, Treatment Remedies, and Cures
Bronchitis is inflammation of the airways in the lung. Acute bronchitis is is short in duration (10 to 20 days) in comparison...
Snoring (Causes, Aids, Remedies, Solutions)
Snoring, like all other sounds, is caused by vibrations that cause particles in the air to form sound waves. While we are asleep,...
Group A streptococcal infections are caused by group A streptococcus, a bacteria that causes a variety of health problems,...
Exercise-induced asthma is asthma triggered by vigorous exercise. Symptoms include coughing, shortness of breath, chest...
Optic neuritis is inflammation of the optic nerve, the structure that connects the eye to the brain. The precise cause of optic...
Upper Respiratory Tract Infection
An upper respiratory infection is a contagious infection of the structures of the upper respiratory tract, which includes the...
Sinus Headache Pain, Symptoms, Treatments, Remedies, and Cures
Sinus headache is caused by a sinus infection or inflammation of the sinus cavities. Symptoms of a sinus headache include pain,...
Occupational asthma is a type of asthma caused by exposure to a substance in the workplace. Symptoms and signs include wheezing,...
A deviate septum is a condition that may require surgery. With a deviated septum, the bone and cartilage that divide the nasal...
Children's Cough Causes and Treatments
Children's cough causes include infection, acid reflux, asthma, allergies or sinus infection, whooping cough, and exposure to...
Is a Sinus Infection Contagious?
Sinus infection (sinusitis) is infection (viral, bacterial, or fungal) or inflammation of the sinuses. Symptoms of sinus...
Is Sore Throat (Pharyngitis) Contagious?
The medical term for a sore throat is pharyngitis. There are many causes of a sore throat such as medications, diseases (GERD,...
What Is Mucus?
Mucus is a normal substance produced by lining tissues in the body. Excess mucus or mucus that is yellow, green, brown, or bloody...
19 Tips on How to Stop a Cough
Coughing is a reflex that helps a person clear their airways of irritants. There are many causes of an excessive or severe...
Primary Immunodeficiency Disease (PIDD)
Primary immunodeficiency disease or PIDD is a group of over 250 genetic diseases that involve the immune system. Symptoms of...
Common Medical Abbreviations List (Acronyms and Definitions)
Doctors, pharmacists, and other health-care professionals use abbreviations, acronyms, and other terminology for instructions...
Are You Too Sick to Work?
When you're not feeling well, it may be difficult to decide whether to stay home or go to school or work. Conditions that are...
Mastoiditis (Symptoms, Treatment, Cure in Adults and Children
Mastoiditis in children and adults is inflammation and/or infection of the mastoid bone, which is located behind the ear. The...
Local ResourcesFind a local Ear, Nose, & Throat Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Chronic Cough
- Eye Pain
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Runny Nose
- Jaw Pain
- Nasal Congestion
- Drainage of Pus
- Loss of Taste Sensation
- Bad Breath
- Dark Circles Under the Eyes
- Metallic Taste in the Mouth
- Bad Taste in the Mouth
- Sinus Infection (Sinusitis)
- Acute Sinusitis
- Allergies FAQs
- Cold & Flu FAQs
- Common Cold FAQs
- Strep Streptococcal Throat Infection FAQs
- Sense of Smell Wins Nobel Prize
- Is There a Direct Relationship Between Sinusitis and Muscle Pain?
- Hay Fever: Managing Hay Fever Symptoms
- Antibiotics 101
- Acute Bronchitis: How Long Do Symptoms Last?
- Air Travel, Colds, and Sinus Infections
Medications & Supplements
- guaifenesin/dextromethorphan/decongestant - oral
- promethazine/dextromethorphan - oral
- guaifenesin/decongestant/narcotic antitussive/antihistamine - oral
- guaifenesin/antitussive/decongestant/antihistamine - oral
- guaifenesin/decongestant/antihistamine - oral
- amoxicillin (Amoxil, Moxatag, Larotid)
- Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanic acid, Augmentin XR, Augmentin ES-600, Amoclan
- clarithromycin, Biaxin
- cefaclor, Raniclor
- cefprozil, Cefzil
- guaifenesin and phenylephrine, Sudafed PE Non-Drying Sinus Caplets, (Entex, discontinued)
- azithromycin (Zithromax, Zithromax Z-Pak, Zithromax Tri-Pak, Zmax)
- loratadine and pseudoephedrine (Alavert Allergy & Sinus, Claritin-D, Claritin-D 24 hour)
- fluticasone (Flonase, Flonase Allergy Relief)
- guaifenesin, Robitussin, Fenesin, Mucosa, Mucus Relief, Mucinex
- Levaquin (levofloxacin) Antibiotic
- fexofenadine and pseudoephedrine, Allegra-D
- cefdinir (Omnicef has been discontinued)
- guaifenesin/theophylline/pseudoephedrine elixir - oral, Broncomar-1
- cocaine hydrochloride
- penicillin V potassium (Beepen-VK, Penicillin VK, V-Cillin-K)
- decongestant/antihistamine/anticholinergic - oral
- decongestant/narcotic antitussive/acetaminoph/antihistamine - oral
- dextromethorphan/decongestant/antihistamine - oral
- cefpodoxime proxetil (Vantin, Banan) for Infections
- pseudoephedrine (Oral, Afrinol, Sudafed)
- decongestant/narcotic antitussive - oral, Alahist DHC, Symtan
- salicylamide/acetaminophen/phenyltoloxamine - oral, Anabar, Dolorex, Lobac
- hydromorphone (Dilaudid, Dilaudid-5, Dilaudid-HP Injection, Exalgo) for Pain
- narcotic antitussive/antihistamine - oral
- Penicillin (Antibiotics)
- telithromycin - oral, Ketek
- Cipro vs. Levaquin: Differences Between Side Effects, Uses, and Strength
- Amoxicillin vs. Augmentin (Comparison of Side Effects and Antibiotic Uses)
- Cipro, XR (ciprofloxacin) vs. Keflex (cephalexin)
Prevention & Wellness
- Mucus Test May Help Doctors Treat Sinusitis Better
- Health Tip: Common Signs of Sinusitis
- Health Tip: Learn Symptoms of Childhood Sinusitis
- Health Tip: Symptoms of Sinus Infection
- Ready for Spring Allergies?
- Sinus Trouble Can Lead to Depression, Lost Work
- The Etiquette of Achoo!
- Health Tip: Using a Neti Pot
- New Drug Shows Promise Against Severe Sinusitis
- Drugs May Be as Good as Surgery for Chronic Sinusitis
- Health Tip: Coping With Sinusitis
- Nasal Balloon Can Treat Youngsters for 'Glue Ear'
- Health Tip: Warning Signs of Sinusitis
- More Evidence Breast-Feeding Lowers Child's Risk of Infections, Allergies
- FDA Approves New Drug to Treat COPD
- Anoro Ellipta Approved for COPD
- Take Infection Precautions When Using Nasal-Rinsing Products: FDA
- Health Tip: When Taking a Decongestant
- Kids' Sinusitis Might Not Need Antibiotics, New Guidelines Say
- Health Tip: Take Antibiotics Only When Needed
- Some 'Super Tasters' Might Be Less Prone to Sinus Woes
- Sinus Infections Linked to Nasal Washing
- Tap Water Used in Neti Pots Tied to Rare, Fatal Brain Infection
- Steroids Won't Ease Most Sinusitis Attacks, Study Finds
- Steroid Nasal Sprays Show Small Benefit for Sinusitis: Study
- Many Medical Tests, Procedures Not Always Needed
- Alternative Medicine May Help Ease Chronic Sinusitis
- Antibiotics Do Not Reduce Symptoms of Sinus Infection
- Secondhand Smoke Linked to Chronic Sinusitis
- Sinus Infection? Antibiotics No Help