The cause of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) is unknown. The risk of SIDS peaks in infants 2-4 months of age. SIDS is more common among male infants, particularly African American and Native American infants, during the winter months. Putting the baby to sleep on his/her back, avoiding fluffy, loose bedding, using a firm mattress, and avoiding co-sleeping may help to prevent SIDS. Read more: Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Effects of Secondhand Smoke: Facts
The effects of secondhand smoke can be hazardous to your health. Secondhand smoke can lead to lung cancer, heart disease, and...
Top 10 Parenting Mistakes- Children, Infants, Toddlers, Teens
Parenting a child isn't easy. Explore the top 10 mistakes that new parents make. Discover newborn parenting tips for...
Related Disease Conditions
A common form of short stature, achondroplasia (dwarfism) is a genetic condition causing a disorder of bone growth. Complications...
Pregnancy Planning (Tips)
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes...
Epilepsy is a brain disorder in which the person has seizures. There are two kinds of seizures, focal and generalized. There are...
Sleep apnea is defined as a reduction or cessation of breathing during sleep. The three types of sleep apnea are central apnea,...
Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV)
Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) is a highly contagious viral infection. Symptoms include fever and nasal congestion and...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Heat-related illness include heat rash, cramps, exhaustion, stroke, and sunburn. Treatment of heat related illnesses depend on...
Good parenting helps foster empathy, honesty, self-reliance, self-control, kindness, cooperation, and cheerfulness, says...
Secondhand smoke can cause illness and disease in nonsmokers. Some of these conditions include lung cancer, heart disease,...
Smoking During Pregnancy
Smoking during pregnancy increases the risk of miscarriage or stillbirth, low birth weight or premature birth, and more....
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
- Putting Your Child to Sleep in a Car Seat Can Be Deadly
- Babies Still Dying Due to Unsafe Sleep Practices
- Smoking While Pregnant Sends SIDS Risk Soaring
- Soft Furniture No Cushion Against Falls for Young Kids
- Experts Sound Warning About 'Baby Boxes'
- Death Rates for Young Americans Drop, But Still Too High
- Are High-Tech Baby Monitors Worth It? Or Even Safe?
- E-Cigarettes, Nicotine Patch During Pregnancy May Hike SIDS Risk
- Baby Sitters, Relatives Often Unaware of SIDS Risk
- Genetic Heart Defects Rarely the Cause of SIDS, Research Shows
- Babies Face Higher SIDS Risk in Certain States
- Too Many Babies Still Die Needlessly of SIDS, CDC Says
- Even Partial Breast-Feeding for First Few Months Lowers SIDS Risk
- Higher Cigarette Taxes May Mean Fewer Infant Deaths
- Too Many Babies Still Placed on Stomach to Sleep: Study
- Widening 'Race Gap' in U.S. Infant Deaths
- Sudden Unexpected Infant Deaths May Be Underestimated: Study
- Can Sharing Your Bedroom With Baby Come With Risks?
- Hospital 'Baby Boxes' May Help Prevent SIDS in Newborns
- Fewer SIDS Deaths in U.S., But Gaps Among Racial Groups Remain
- When Grandparents Raise Grandkids, Are They Up to Date on Child Safety?
- Pediatricians Say No to Wearable Smartphone Baby Monitors
- Baby Crib Ads Show Unsafe Practices, Study Says
- Docs: Infants Should Share Parents' Room to Help Prevent SIDS
- Breast-Feeding Rates Climb, But Many Moms Quit Early: CDC
- Babies Often Put to Sleep in Unsafe Positions
- Smoking in Pregnancy May Be Under-Reported
- Swaddling May Increase Chances of SIDS
- Temporarily Turning Blue Sometimes Normal for Babies, Doctors Say
- Teen Moms May Ignore Advice for Helping Babies Sleep Safely
- Weight Gain Between Pregnancies May Affect Infant Survival
- SIDS Risk Depends on More Than 'Sleeping Environment'
- Ban Crib Bumpers Because of Rising Deaths, Researchers Say
- U.S. Infant Deaths At Lowest Rate Ever: CDC
- Living at Higher Elevations Linked to SIDS Risk
- Baby Swings, Car Seats Not Safe for Sleeping
- Sleep Position Linked to Death Risk for Those With Epilepsy
- Babies Still Sleeping With Soft Bedding Despite SIDS Risk: CDC
- Brain Abnormality Spotted in Many SIDS Babies
- Sleeping on Sofa Can Be Deadly for Babies, Study Finds
- U.S. Life Expectancy Hits Record High of Nearly 79 Years: CDC
- U.S. Still Lags in Infant Mortality Rates, Report Finds
- Smoking Banned in More Than 80 Percent of U.S. Homes: CDC
- For Kids, Risks of Parental Smoking Persist Long-Term, Study Finds
- Bed-Sharing Linked to SIDS
- Home Nurse Visits May Improve Survival of Moms, Babies
- Health Tip: Baby Should Sleep on Her Back
- Many Parents Not Following Safe Sleep Practices for Babies
- Helmets Not Helpful for Babies With 'Flat Head' Syndrome: Study
- CDC: Docs Aren't Doing Enough to Discourage Problem Drinking
- Many U.S. Parents Share Bed With Babies Despite Risks: Survey
- Bed-Sharing With Babies Tied to More Breast-Feeding
- Nearly Half of Infants Have Flat Spots on Their Heads: Study
- Sleeping on Back to Prevent SIDS Doesn't Appear to Hurt Babies' Ability to Roll
- Bed-Sharing Raises SIDS Risk Fivefold, Study Finds
- U.S. Infant Mortality Rates Finally Dropping Again: Report
- Study Links Stillbirth to Genes Tied to Dangerous Heart Rhythm
- Certain Parents Less Likely to Follow Doctors' Advice: Poll
- Mother's Drinking Increases Risk of Infant's Death: Study
- Airport Smoking Areas Expose Travelers, Workers to Risk: CDC
- Many Smokers Light Up With Kids in Car: Study
- Pregnant Women: Get a Whooping Cough Vaccine
- Many Grandparents Lack Latest Child Safety Info: Study
- U.S. Expands SIDS Prevention Effort
- Testosterone Drops in Dads Sharing Beds With Kids
- Don't Trust 'Dr. Google' for Help on Infant Sleep Safety
- Health Tip: Secondhand Smoke is Dangerous
- Many Moms Don't Meet Their Own Breastfeeding Goals
- More Babies Today Have Irregular Head Shape: Expert
- CDC: Child, Teen Injury Deaths Dropping
- Safe Sleep Can Prevent SIDS Deaths
- Family Tree May Aid Treatment of Inherited Heart Disorders
- Gene Might Be a Culprit in Sudden Infant Death for Boys
- Exclusive Breast-Feeding Best for Baby: Experts
- Mom's Nicotine Patch May Raise Baby's Risk for Colic
- Thousands of U.S. Kids Hospitalized for Abuse
- Study Sheds Light on Preemies' Higher SIDS Risk
- Health Tip: The Risks of Smoking While Pregnant
- Get Rid of Bumpers, Stuffed Animals in Baby's Crib
- Snuff Use During Pregnancy Is Harmful to Newborns
- Surgeon General Urges Support for Breastfeeding
- Increase in SIDS on New Year's Day
- Health Tip: Reduce Your Baby's Risk of SIDS
- Low Serotonin Levels May Be Key to SIDS
- Mom's Smoking May Lead to SIDS
- Bacteria May Be Linked to SIDS
- Newborn Hearing Test Might Point to SIDS Risk