Sickle cell anemia (sickle cell disease), a blood disease which shortens life expectancy, is cause by an inherited abnormal hemoglobin. Symptoms may include:
- bacterial infections,
- painful swelling of the hands and feet,
- leg ulcers,
- eye damage,
- and lung and heart injury.
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Anemia Symptoms and Signs, Types, Treatment and Causes
Anemia is a disease marked by low numbers of red blood cells. Low iron or underlying disease, like cancer, may be to blame....
Blood and Bleeding Disorders Quiz
Exactly what is sickle cell anemia? Learn about sickle cell and other diseases by testing your IQ with the Blood and Bleeding...
Related Disease Conditions
Liver disease can be cause by a variety of things including infection (hepatitis), diseases such as: gallstones, high...
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...
Enlarged Spleen (Splenomegaly)
An enlarged spleen or splenomegaly is generally caused by other diseases or conditions such as infections, cancers, blood...
Genetic Disease (List, Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, Prognosis)
The definition of a genetic disease is a disorder or condition caused by abnormalities in a person's genome. Some types of...
A brain hemorrhage is a type of stroke caused when an artery bursts in the brain, causing localized bleeding in the surrounding...
Gallstones are stones that form when substances in the bile harden. Gallstones (formed in the gallbladder) can be as small as...
Malaria is a disease that is spread by the bite of an infected Anopheles mosquito. Malaria symptoms include fever, chills,...
Osteomyelitis is an infection of the bone. Potential causes include injections around the bone, fractures that puncture the skin,...
Diabetes insipidus is a condition in which the patient has frequent urination. Symptoms of diabetes insipidus include irritable,...
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes:...
Septic arthritis, or infectious arthritis, is infection of one or more joints by bacteria, viruses, or fungi. Symptoms and signs...
Aseptic necrosis (avascular necrosis or osteonecrosis) develops when blood supply diminishes to an area of bone and causes bone...
Alpha thalassemia is a disorder in which the alpha globin protein is underproduced. There are two pairs of genes that carry the...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Your health care provider may refer you to a genetic professional. Universities and medical centers also often have affiliated...
Treating the Flu in People with Health Risks
Certain portions of the population are at an increased risk of suffering serious complications from the flu. Some of these...
Local ResourcesFind a local Hematologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Kids Who Need Sickle Cell Meds Don't Always Get Them
- FDA Approves New Drug for Sickle Cell Disease
- Gene Therapy: A Breakthrough for Sickle Cell Anemia?
- Sickle Cell Trait in Blacks Can Skew Diabetes Test Results
- Can Parents' Weight Hinder Toddlers' Development?
- New Drug Might Reduce Sickle Cell Pain Crises
- Sickle Cell Trait Not Linked to Early Death in Study
- Drug Protects Lung Function in Kids With Sickle Cell: Study
- Blood Donors Needed After East Coast Storm: Red Cross
- Sickle Cell Drug Doesn't Relieve Pain Crises: Study
- Few Sickle Cell Patients Receiving Beneficial Drug, Study Finds
- Sickle Cell Anemia Treatment So Successful in Kids That Trial Is Halted
- Scientists Studying Sickle Cell Trait
- New Guidelines for Sickle Cell Disease
- Blood Transfusions May Cut Risk of 'Silent' Stroke in Kids With Sickle Cell
- Less Toxic Transplant Treatment Offers Hope for Sickle Cell Patients
- FDA OKs Test to Improve Blood Donor-Recipient Matching
- Child's Chronic Illness Can Affect the Whole Family
- Sickle Cell Drug Reduces Symptoms, Health Costs Alike, Study Finds
- Sickle Cell Anemia on Rise in Newborns Worldwide
- Blood Transfusions May Mean Fewer Strokes in Kids With Sickle Cell Disease
- Debate Heats Up Over Screening Athletes for Sickle Cell Trait
- Sickle Cell Disease, Sickle Cell Trait Are Not the Same
- Gaps in Care Found for Sickle Cell Disease Patients
- 'Half-Match' Marrow Transplants Help Some With Sickle Cell
- Being Bullied Tied to Anxiety, Depression in Special-Needs Kids
- Altered Stem Cells Limit Transplant Rejection
- Sickle Cell Blood Test Might Predict Severity of Disease
- Efforts to Reduce Stroke in Kids With Sickle Cell Working: Study
- Screening Alone Not Enough to Prevent Sudden Death in College Athletes
- Adult Sickle Cell Drug May Benefit Kids, Too
- FDA Prepares for Nanomedicine Revolution
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter