Patient Comments: Shoulder Bursitis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your shoulder bursitis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Liz R, Female Published: November 09

Eight years ago I had my first bone marrow biopsy. I was already weak with pain from a tumor filled spleen (diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma) and all that was used was a local. The pain and fear throughout this procedure left me traumatized. I had such anxiety when it came to getting another one, I asked to be sedated. My team made a deal that they would give me all the painkillers available and that I could stop the procedure at any time and then schedule it for the operation room. I was so doped up, but it still hurt, but less than the first time. On the way home, we had to stop the car several times so I could vomit. This was repeated four more times; lots of drugs, still painful and sick afterwards. I had to get an autologous transplant and I have had another relapse recently. I am due for another transplant and I know I will need more biopsies. I dread them and will ask this time to be sedated.

Comment from: aussie mum, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I have had hip bursitis for about a year and had a cortisone shot witch helped a lot. About 16 weeks ago I tore my bicep tendon in my elbow and was put on anti-inflammatory tablets, but a few days ago my shoulder started to hurt. Today I had an ultrasound on my right shoulder and was told the pain in my shoulder was because of bursitis so for me the last few weeks have been agony; not able to walk with hip bursitis, a torn tendon and now on top of that now bursitis in my shoulder. From here I am not sure of the next step but I do know that I don't get much sleep because of the pain I am in.

Comment from: mary sub, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I had 3 months of physical therapy for knee replacement that went very well. Two days after release from therapy, I woke up to excruciating pain in shoulder and biceps. I don't think I slept wrong and have been doing exercises. I had 2 massages for shoulder bursitis, first one was great, second one didn't do deep massage. I can't sleep through the night, because of sleeping on side; it is hard to sleep on back. Shoulder and arms quit horrible pain around 1 in afternoon. I am exercising, but have been putting up with this and sometimes it hurts so bad I could cry. It wakes me up all through the night, so now I not only hurt, but am worn out.

Comment from: 40 again, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I had severe pain from spondylosis in either the right or left hip area to the point I could not walk or would limp to the point I could not work. I went to chiropractic treatment as I had trouble getting up and down, and back pain. I am a paratransit bus driver and normally very active, this really stopped me to the point I was in constant pain. I was sent to a back specialist and had a mid, bilateral block. Wow, I feel 100 percent better now. Later he will burn the nerves in this area for what should help me to be pain free. This procedure of the block was done 2 days ago.

Comment from: Malak, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

My child is one year and a half old, and since he was 5 month he has had constipation. He passes stools every 5 days and he suffers a lot, crying, and shouting. I am giving him food full of fibers plus vegetables and fruits plus laxative medication, and he is still constipated.

Comment from: Kris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I am allergic to all antibiotics. From what I have been reading, they can't desensitize you when you go into anaphylaxis. I am seeing a naturopath and take black seed oil, Thieves oil, and oregano oil along with foods that are natural antibiotics. I have an infection now so I haven't been able to get a flu shot so basically I don't leave my house. When I have to go to the grocery store I go very early morning or late night when no one is there and I wear a mask for extra protection. I am becoming depressed over this situation because it doesn't sound like there is a lot of hope and I know that this is very rare.

Comment from: Donna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

My electromyography (EMG) was not bad at all. Neurologist gave me one 0.5 Xanax for anxiety. Worked like a charm. Soft touch with needles, no problems at all. No bruising and I take Plavix! Fear is overrated. No results yet. Follow up procedure due to stroke 10 years ago to access any progressive nerve muscle damage.

Comment from: Anitha N., 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 14

I had been suffering from an insect bite for the past two days, with itching, redness of the skin, rashes, and swelling too. I don't know what kind of insect I was stung by.

Comment from: scout6180, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

Shoulder bursitis is the most painful condition imaginable. There is absolutely no respite in any conceivable position to eliminate the pain that continues 24/7 without relief. Because of the pain intensity, there is also no sleep which hampers the healing process. On a scale of 1 to 10 for pain, this was a solid 10. In fact, the pain was so bad, I went to the local emergency room after 2 days of pure agony. Even after being put on anti-inflammatory medicines and strong painkillers by the resident doctor there, it still hurts badly. Strangely, I can't recall any specific activity that led to the condition, however the onset was rapid (within 3 hours), but the healing process seems to take forever.

Comment from: marmee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

Bursitis caused terrible pain in my right shoulder. It made it impossible to do many simple tasks. I got a cortisone shot in my shoulder and arm which greatly helped the pain, but caused itching and a rash on several parts of my body.

Comment from: Mick, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

Top of shoulder is painful because of bursitis. It hurts to sleep on, when lifting weights it hurts, doing ups hurts, and sudden movements hurt.

Comment from: Kat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I have not been diagnosed but I believe my pain is from shoulder bursitis from everything I have read. It started out feeling like I needed to crack or pop my shoulder/arm but couldn't. Gradually it got more and more painful. It hurts when I lift my arm, but particularly with backward movement. When I had it in my left shoulder I couldn't reach back to put my seatbelt on. Now I have it in my right shoulder, can't zip dresses or unsnap bra. I had acupuncture when I had it in my left shoulder and it was amazing. Pain reduced 50% after one visit, and I was pain free after about a month. I am having acupuncture now for the right shoulder. I had 3 treatments so far and pain is about 80% less. I can reach behind me with much less pain. My dad had bursitis in his knee and had cortisone shots for many years, helped temporarily but always came back. I wanted to avoid that so tried the acupuncture. My left shoulder has been pain free for over a year. It's really amazing how well it worked, and freaky because I don't understand it exactly. But it really does work.

Comment from: pain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

About five weeks ago I was gardening, pushing the shovel into the dirt, pulling very hard on old, thick tree roots. I have rheumatoid arthritis but nothing can keep me away from my garden. After a day or so, I noticed severe pain in my shoulders. I went out two days later and began to do weeding. The same symptoms appeared: severe pain in my shoulders, inability to sleep. Because both shoulders are affected with bursitis, I wake up nightly at least four times and cry because no matter how I slept, the pain was definitely a 10. Two days ago I helped my husband move a table. That was the last straw. How stupid can you be! I wasn't thinking. Now, I can't do anything. Putting on a bra is very painful. Getting dressed, putting on deodorant and sleeping is almost impossible. I am on two fentanyl patches every two days for both knees that need replacement but there is no relief from the pain in my shoulders. I think I have been on the patches too long and they no longer work. The worst is not being able to sleep. I have to wake at 5:20 to go to work. I am 62 and cannot afford to retire. I am so tired of being in pain, my neck, knees, shoulders, back, when can I look forward to relief! Cortisone does not help and I cannot get any other pain medication due to the patches.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had an MRI yesterday on my right shoulder that showed I have bursitis. My pain happens when I raise my arm, reach across my body, reach back and is very bad and wakes me up several times a night. I also have pain that shoots down my arm all the way to my last two fingers sometimes. My doctor gave me a steroid shot and is sending me to physical therapy twice a week for 6 weeks. Hopefully this will help. The steroid shot made it feel better for a while yesterday, but pain is back and I still was woken several times last night.

Comment from: Frenchie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

My pain is weird. I have bursitis in my right shoulder. I am totally pain free until I move my arm or extend it. At night is the worst. I can wake up paralyzed in pain, and it takes all my strength and courage to move my shoulder. It feels like someone is stabbing me with a hot knife. After a few rotations and shaking off, pain goes away. The pattern happens 4 to 5 times a night.

Comment from: mikeb, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

Mine is in my left shoulder. My pain throbs and it goes down my arm and also goes up my neck. It hurts the worst when I put my arm up, and I cannot reach across my body.

Comment from: liveandlove, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I'm 19 and was diagnosed with bursitis three days ago. They gave me a steroid shot and pack Tylenol 3; and the pain still is bad. It's getting to the point that I just want to rip my arm off; not to mention that the pain keeps making me nauseous. I wake up at night in horrible amounts of pain. When I let my arm rest pain just shoots down my arm.

Comment from: graeme, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I have suffered from bursitis in both shoulders now for about 2 years. I have had 2 cortisone shots in both, but relief only lasts about a month. I have constant pain and aching, especially at night time which keeps me awake.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I have had chronic pancreatitis for 21 years now. It has wreaked havoc on my mental and physical wellbeing. I am not the person I was before I got this illness, it has changed me both mentally and physically into a different person. I believe what we need is more understanding and help from the medical profession.

Comment from: Tammy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I think I have bursitis. I broke my shoulder 4 years ago. But in the past 2 months I am having pain in that shoulder that moves from my shoulder down my arm to my hand. It"s especially bad when I have my arm resting in my lap or when I am driving. I am currently taking a muscle relaxer and naproxen.

Comment from: Patty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I have excruciating pain when I try to move my right arm upwards or around the back of me, it seems to be spreading down my arm. I have very limited mobility with right arm without pain.

Comment from: evie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I have severe pain in the upper chest area, and pressure like a heart attack. Most medications made my gastritis worse.

Comment from: Revjack, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

I have bursitis, inflamed cuff and arthritis in the right shoulder.

Comment from: E.R.Johnson, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I fell out of my bed on my left shoulder but, I got the bruises on my right. It has been three months since I have fell. My doctor gave me cortisone shots twice and I had physical therapy, but nothing is helping. I can"t lift my arm above my breast. I do know that there"s something wrong with it. The pain is really bad. And the medicine gabapentin doesn"t help.

Comment from: Chris, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I have constant pain. Oral steroids did not help, hydrotherapy did not help so I finally got a steroid shot 2 days ago but there has been no relief.

Comment from: huntincamo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have a throbbing pain once again that radiates from my shoulder down the front of my arm sometimes into my hands. I had a similar situation about 3 years ago and my doctor gave me a cortisone shot which miraculously made the pain disappear for a couple of years. Now it's back with a vengeance. I wake up all hours of the night and the dull ache at work drives me crazy. A coworker suggested Aleve.

Comment from: Male1000, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 02

Age 50 male who injured shoulder in high school football. Around age 48 shoulder started hurting and lost mobility in shoulder. I started stretching, yoga on my own and regained some mobility and reduced pain (was able to sleep on shoulder where before I could not). Went to ortho doctor and given prednisone and it helped. Went back to ortho and given cortisone shot and almost cured. I do stretching/strength exercises almost every day.

Comment from: suzanne, 55-64 Female Published: June 20

I have had sore shoulder for 3 months the pain at night is enough to drive you crazy. One day it seems fine and as soon as I use the arm it flares up again. I have pain in my shoulder and my hand is weak. I have tingling in my third finger. I had an ultrasound and a cortisone injection. The doctor determined that the bursa and tendons were inflamed.

Comment from: retired, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

Injury last summer by repetitive motion (scrubbing long cement sidewalk with wire brush, removing mold). Following right shoulder injury, endured pain for several mos. thinking it would subside, then had x-rays showing mild arthritis? However, symptoms are constant cracking, pinching of the shoulder, inability to lift heavier objects; strain on muscles, tendons or ligaments. I have range of motion but problems with removing jacket or reaching in the car backseat. Massage therapy helped somewhat, wondering if mri, ct scan, chiropractor, cortisone or more deep tissue massage of shoulder would help. Just 65 and have never had any issues. Eventual frozen shoulder may be a big issue. Ready to get another doctor's opinion/test for bursitis, tendonitis, etc.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

First my Mom had frozen shoulder, my two older sisters had it, and then I got it. That's probably one connection. All of us got it between the ages of 40 and 50. That's another connection. Needless to say, I am here with shoulder bursitis again at age 50, but thankfully, not "frozen" yet. After my first bout at around age 40, I was limited in shoulder activities, especially noticeable when hanging out clothes to dry. I think it's in the genes.

Comment from: hurtshoulder1, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

Right shoulder has limited range. I used to be able to throw a ball and can now barely throw anything further than a few feet. When applying deodorant, I must lift right arm and brace against the wall to expose my underarm. Cannot reach behind to tuck in shirt or thread a belt, and taking off jackets is really painful. I once played varsity football and baseball during high school and also have been a kayaker for the past 13 years. Now, I have to pass on kayaking, bowling, backyard football/baseball games because of my shoulder issues.

Comment from: George, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

I am currently suffering from Bursitis. It is like nothing I have previously experienced. I am getting severe pain in my left shoulder and referred pain down my arm and into my neck and upper back. I am 8 days into the condition and thankfully the severity of the pain has decreased however I still have trouble sleeping. Treatment has included rest, oral pain killers, gentle massage and gentle left arm movements to ensure my range of movement is not affected. The arm movements are important as I feel they are aiding my recovery. My GP referred me for X-Rays and Ultrasound to confirm the condition and then prescribed the treatment. The condition has affected me both physically and mentally. It is difficult to concentrate on daily activities or be interested in doing things I would normally do. My days are consumed with finding relief from the pain.

Comment from: Stan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

Last summer, I was surprised by a wasp whose nest I had inadvertently bothered. I made a very quick swiping movement which injured my shoulder. It didn't bother me a whole lot until a couple of months ago. The bursitis makes it very difficult to find a good sleeping position and I wake up periodically from pain. When I am lying down in bed, it is impossible to lift covers with that arm unless I am lying flat on my back. Icing it helps but only for a short time. I am seeking a more permanent solution.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I have been suffering with this for near enough a year now. I am 36 and off work sick. Today I have seen a surgeon and he will operate as the injections in the shoulder are no longer working. So at last, there is a light at the end of my tunnel.

Comment from: seeking relief, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I have recently been diagnosed with bursitis. I chose the injection as treatment and have not had any relief. Trying to sleep is a difficult task. I have to sleep in an upright position. The pain medications are not helping either. I am interested in acupuncture as a possible treatment.

Comment from: Bev, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I developed sudden pain in my upper arm towards the shoulder, about 7 months ago. I was only lifting groceries from the car. I assumed I had just pulled a muscle and figured there was no point seeing a doctor. After 6 weeks of agony, unable to lift my arm more than 2 inches out towards the side, and severe pain every night when trying to sleep, I finally went to the doctor. I had an ultrasound which showed some problem with the tendon in the shoulder and inflamed bursa. As I have kidney disease I cannot take non-steroidal pain relief like ibuprofen, naproxen, so there is no adequate pain relief, Panadol does not help. I have been having injections of cortisone every few weeks (under ultrasound) it is a miracle effect but obvious not curing the problem as it returns after a few weeks. My doctor said it is not good to have too many so I don't know what is left now. I am 50, my 4 and 6 year old grandchildren live with me so I need to be very "physical." Getting tops off is really difficult, lifting anything even light, there are so many limitations that cause severe pain. Now been 7 months with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Comment from: Tania, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have been battling with bursitis and also a partial tear of a tendon in the shoulder for the last 5 months now. My range of movement is limited, can't sleep on that side, have general aching around the shoulder, chest, back and down the arm. Sharp aching pain down the top part of my arm also is consistent and gets worse with exercise/general use. I saw a Physiotherapist for a couple of months however he irritated the bursitis by trying to manipulate the shoulder and I've not gone back. My liver isn't functioning properly now and the doctor says I may need surgery. I just want this to go away so my life can get back to normal.

Comment from: Dylan, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: October 09

I'm 17 years old and I do year 12 Physical Education in high school. The other day our class did a skill development activity, which involved throwing tennis balls with our non-dominant hand. I had always had a slight pain in my shoulder whilst performing physical activity, but in doing the skill development activity, I noticed that whenever I threw the ball, my shoulder clicked, and a slight pain surged around my muscles. I also noticed that whenever I do overhead weight training, my shoulder clicked then as well. I went to the doctor and sure enough, I was told I had shoulder bursitis. So, my symptoms of shoulder bursitis exist mainly during throwing, and overhead activities.

Comment from: Mary Mc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I've had bursitis in my right shoulder for a few years and I have been able to live with it. About six weeks ago I woke up and could barely raise my left arm. Pain got worse and when I shook out a sheet to put it in the dryer, the pain in my shoulder was unbearable. Couldn't raise my arm at all. Off to the emergency room the next day. I was diagnosed with a calcified tendon and bursitis. Nothing helps the pain and I have to sleep with pillows under both shoulders. Oddly enough it feels better to sleep with my arms above my head. At 49, I never thought I would feel this old.

Comment from: Paula, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I have had shoulder bursitis for about 6 months. The pain is mostly in the top of the shoulder, and to move my arm back causes the most pain. The pain radiates around my arm and is like a a dull ache, and the top of the shoulder is very sore to touch. I have been unable to sleep on my left side because of the pain, and the pain has woken me at night. Today I went and had X-rays and a CT scan, and they said that the tendons and bursa were both inflamed, so I had a steroid injection. The doctor did say that relief is different for each person, it can be very temporary or it can last for some time. So it remains to be seen what my results are, I am hoping for the latter.

Comment from: Linda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I have had left shoulder bursitis for about six months now. I have pain nearly all the time and restricted range of movement in my left arm. I can't sleep on my left side. After about 8 weeks of anti-inflammatories, I had a cortisone injection. After about three days it slowly relieved the symptoms and this lasted for about a week (although if I used the arm at all pain would return). The pain came back, and I was told I would have to wait three months between injections. So, I am now on a course of stronger anti-inflammatories, and the pain is still constant. I will be seeing an orthopedic surgeon next week -- maybe more imaging and possible surgery.

Comment from: carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

With my shoulder bursitis, I have constant pain. It becomes worse with certain movements.

Comment from: Recovering, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I have suffered from chronic shoulder pain for 25 years (I'm only 40), mainly muscle spasms and burning sensation around the shoulder blade and trapezius. Until 2 weeks ago I was advised this was all due to my posture and lack of core strength. I felt nobody listened when I said exercise makes the pain worse. I had a shoulder arthroscopy 2 weeks back and my bursa was found to be full of scar tissue. This was removed - now my muscle pain has diminished hugely. Hang in there - there is hope.

Comment from: irana47, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I am 47 years old and I have had pain that started in my shoulder joint and is mainly along my clavicle for two and a half years. The last six months it has got worse with aching down into my arm and down my shoulder blade at the back as well. Surprisingly I have no trouble lifting, but if I shrug or try and push myself up, I get a sharp shooting pain. After X-rays and an ultrasound, I have just been diagnosed with Bursitis. I have been sent to the rheumatologist this week and just had my first steroid and anesthetic injection. It wasn't that bad (just like a school injection).

Comment from: maggie36, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

Hi there I'm 36 years old and I've had a lot of pain in my left shoulder. I just found out that I have bursitis in it and hurts constantly and I have to go for injections to relieve the pain. I hope. I'm left handed and now I'm very limited to what I can do. Just sitting and watching TV my shoulder is in pain. The doctor told me that I've had it for some time now and their just doing something about it.

Comment from: niknak22, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I have had a pain in my shoulder for approximately 6 months now, it started with a pain level of 2 out of 10 and is now nearing 10 out of 10! I went to the doctors today and have been told to go back for a steroid injection, I'm very nervous about this but hopefully it should help the pain!

Comment from: nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

You should go see an osteopath. I have tried everything and the anti-inflammatory will kill your stomach. Please try this before more shots or surgery.

Comment from: SD, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I went to the Doctor with major shoulder pain. I was given 800 mg (take 3 times a day) of Ibuprofen and told to see an orthopedic doctor. He diagnosed as probably Bursitis or tendinitis. After reading these posts I would say it is bursitis. 800 MG at 3 times a day kicked it out. That stuff was good.

Comment from: symptoms, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I injured my shoulder lifting weights. Weight on my side at night sleeping caused pain. Do a search on sleep positions and try and sleep on your back. Have a better mattress (tempur-pedic is what I have) and try placing a pillow below your knees. It helped me. Sleep on your side that is not injured but rotate so that you do not sleep in just that position. Take ibuprofen as that will help. But you just have to rest the shoulder where the injury happened it took me over 4 weeks to get better. Otherwise you will need to see the MD.

Comment from: Julieinid, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I see these posts talking of having this for a week or a month etc, try the past 6yrs straight! I am not old, I was 34 when it started. It drives me crazy and feels like what I imagine arm pain from a heart attack would feel like. I have not seen a doctor for it. I do not have any range of motion issues from it. Sleep/rest helps more than anything.

Comment from: JTH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

Bursitis appeared suddenly in my right shoulder with pain radiating down my arm and into my right chest wall/breast. It's difficult to raise my arm to wash/dry my hair. The more I move, the worse it hurts. Possibly, sleeping on my right side contributed. I tried Celebrex with no luck. I'll try Aleve and hope for the best.

Comment from: Sueb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

Have had this pain for 6 months now, I have taken panadol consistently for a period of a month, it does relieve the pain moderately. I have had ultra sound with the diagnosis of bursitis, been told it could take 12 or 18 months to get better. It drives me mad especially at night.

Published: April 25

Have had pain in my left shoulder radiating down my arm at times for over a month. Sometimes at night it is really painful. Went to the doctor and was told I had bursitis in my shoulder. Gave me a prescription for 500mg anti inflammatory. After taking two days had to stop due to nausea and stomach cramps. Used ice as directed but still in pain. Next step would be a cortisone shot. Don't think so, not yet anyway.

Comment from: bundy2123, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

My symptoms were burning pain in my shoulder that is awful at night; unable to reach too far nor hold too much weight for an extended period of time. I use heating pad at night and used Therma Care wraps, BenGay cream and whatever else helps to ease the pain. I also have Carpal Tunnel in both arms but unsure if the two are related.

Comment from: lisamomdukes47, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I can hardly move my arm. My shoulder feels like it's on fire also like someone is inside of it pressing on something. The pain is running down toward my elbow. There's redness down my arm and swelling of my fingers this is my 2nd time the last time was about 6years ago. I am now 47. I was diagnosed several years ago with severe shoulder and back degeneration. I am not sure if this is the my cause for the bursitis now.

Comment from: 55-64 Male Published: February 24

I get a burning sensation radiating from my neck to my right shoulder. After years of cortisone injections, I've turned to acupuncture which has given me some relief. It's a long process. Swimming has also helped.

Comment from: agnes, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I first realized pain in area between shoulder and elbow. It felt like a cramp, I tried to rub the area could feel a lump, but no relief. Applied heating pad, no luck presently taking arnica Montana for pain. Slight temporary relief, but pain persists. This has been going on for at least one month. However after the first couple of weeks I felt, of course on the same arm. Which may have added to the problem..

Comment from: pinktulips, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I was on a stepstool dusting the top of an armoire when I knocked over a small tree. As I moved quickly to catch it, my son entered the room. I don' t know who reacted the fastest: my face immediately registered pain and, just as quickly, his face registered panic! It has been a year since onset. I still have pain, not debilitating pain, but a constant reminder, nevertheless.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I am only 20 years old and I had surgery right after I turned 14 to help ease my Bursitis pain. I have limited movement and can only swim three strokes in the pool. I constantly have pain all through my shoulder blade, and down and across my back. The only thing I have found that helps a little is taking over the counter pain relievers. It also helps to exercise about two to three times a week. I swim and although it hurts really badly the first couple of times, after about a week I feel a lot stronger and better until it flares up again.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter