Patient Comments: Shoulder and Neck Pain - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your shoulder and neck pain? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Gigi, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 24

I have neck and shoulder persistent pain for more than a month. I had a pain reliever but the pain won't go and interrupted my ADL (activities of daily living). I can't even attend to my work. I feel depressed and had poor sleep. I am just waiting for x-ray result of cervical spine which was taken today.

Comment from: Netty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I was pulling my hair through a highlighting cap. I got halfway and couldn't anymore. I stopped and removed the cap. Four days later I am having excruciating pain in my shoulder blade which goes up into my neck. I can hardly move at all. Sleeping, sitting or standing hurts. I don't know what to do with myself. I am taking Co-codamol but it is not working.

Comment from: johnmoore, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

My shoulder pains when I lift anything heavy or when I put my arms above my head.

Comment from: Marion, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I was told to take escitalopram for sleep problems. The severe neck and shoulder pain began a month later, but I didn't connect it. Due to this pain, doctor ordered physical therapy. I did it for 18 months. I did not like the way escitalopram made me feel during day, so I slowly stopped it. The pain in my neck and shoulders ceased. Angry doctor said I had to get back on it. I did and pain came back immediately. I looked on-line and saw that was the cause. I got off it, and pain is completely gone. Two doctors knew I was on this medication and neither caught it. Please, please check possible side effects as you begin a new medication.

Comment from: tracylynn25, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I can't lie on my sides because it causes burning in my shoulders there is also stiffness.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter