Patient Comments: Shoulder and Neck Pain - Causes and Outcome

What caused your shoulder and neck pain? What was the outcome? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Edwin7727, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

My right clavicle was broken several years ago riding a motorbike, and the position that it broke, it was unable to grow back side-to-side. I didn't have insurance to pay for them to go in and fix it. I broke my left clavicle a year later riding through town on a bicycle. I have had no problems with that one as much. But my right side gives me the most trouble. I wake up sore having to align my back straight along a corner. Ankle mainly hurts when temperatures are down. Muscles knot and move from behind my right knee all the way up to my right temple, and the other side of my right ear.

Comment from: sharon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I had bladder cancer. They placed a port in for my chemotherapy. After taking out the port I have neck and shoulder pain. I have been seeing a chiropractor and my pain will subside. It then is good for a day or two. I know that this is a nerve problem but I would like to know what to do for the pain until my next visit. I am doing fine with the bladder and it has at the moment a clean bill of health.

Comment from: susank, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I hope I can help someone with neck, shoulder and arm pain with this story. I was driving on July 1 2011, just driving when all of a sudden I felt like someone punched me hard on the arm. Long story short I could barely turn the steering wheel and went to the ER. My diagnosis was a pinched nerve in my neck. I went to the doctor and he said to get an over the door head harness traction ($22) fill the bag with 9 lbs of water and 3 times a day for 10 mins, use it. Well, I had such pain I took Aleeve twice a day with EXCELLENT relief, but never thought I would ever get out of this pain without it. I could not lay down on either side. I had to sleep on my back and I used ice packs, heat packs and cervical collar. In 2 - 2 1/2 weeks it was 90 percent better. I could lie down on either side and did not need pain meds!

Comment from: Bwiseman, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

In May 2010 I had a tumor removed from my kidney; because the surgery took longer than they expected I ended up with nerve damage in my right upper leg. Recently I was having issues with constant burping, neck pain, not being able to sleep because my back hurt so much. I contacted my doctor, but when they tried to reach me I was in bed trying to get rid of the pain. The pain has moved from my back to shoulder and upper neck. It hurts so badly nothing is working, not even my prescribed medication. I haven't slept in three days because of the pain. I'm not sure why I'm getting the sudden pain besides that I had to walk in the cold to my husband's job.

Comment from: Oleg Bolotov, 55-64 Male Published: January 12

All the causes do not address a very common condition: a stiff neck and dull pain in the neck and upper/rear shoulders. I know that many people and I sometimes have this pain after some time at the PC and/or desk and when tired. It feels that fatigue and stress contributes to it. Sadly, I am afraid that most doctors will not be able to diagnose/pin-point this, because, unlike an obvious injury, the cause may be so subtle and hard to find (in my opinion), and several comments support my opinion. I am a 58-year-old avid athlete, and I exercise regularly and safely, and I only rarely have this pain (or rather discomfort), but my college-age daughter regularly suffers for the last few months. We feel it may be due to her hours at the PC/desk and/or stress and anxiety, and I believe that her worry about this aggravates the pain. I give her daily massage, but it only alleviates her pain for a short time (until next day). Good luck to everyone in your fight against this pain.

Comment from: BarbK, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I am recovering from C-spine fusion surgery one month ago. The pain that I had before surgery is gone. But I am having severe muscle pain on the opposite side. I"m on muscle relaxants, but still having pain.

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I slipped and fell on a hard tiled floor. I landed on my left shoulder with the left arm and my head hitting the floor first.

Comment from: male 55, 55-64 Male Published: February 02

I have sinus headaches which originate as a dull pain in either the left or right side of my neck shoulder and shoulder blades. I have found low pressure and high humidity contribute greatly to the frequency. The only relief I get is buy taking 2-3 500mg. extra strength cold Tylenol daytime or equivelent such as Life brand usually twice daily. Regular Tylenol does not work along with many other brands and I have tried many over the decades. These headaches will last 2 to 3 days and then often switch to the other side. Occassionaly a heating pad is also needed. For men this will cause a restricted urine flow due to the soft tissue shrinking effect of the pills which is why it relieves the pain in neck and and sinuses. I Hope this helps someone out there.

Comment from: Ddebz40, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I was rear-ended in a car accident and have whiplash. I also have a headache.

Comment from: fiestydaul3, 55-64 Female Published: June 10

My neck was injured in a rear end car accident in 1995. I was told by medical Dr's. I had a cervical strain from the accident. I've had many treatments trying to rid of the pain, spasms, headaches and still haven't been back to normal...now almost twenty yrs and dealing with more pain and not being able to move arm, shoulder and dealing with pain is beginning to be a way of life. And I keep praying I will get better or at least the pain subsides even just a little bit to make life a little bit enjoyable.

Comment from: Marie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I got spasmodic torticollis.

Comment from: satabor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I had a sharp pain seeminly eminating from my collarbone up the left side of my neck. It did not feel muscular or structural. Off and on, it last about an hour. No other symptoms.

Comment from: Roguebear, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 07

My Arthritis pains can be at various parts of my body but I have never had them in my neck before so am curious as to whether they are possible effects of my Arthritis.

Comment from: Sean, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 08

I had neck surgery in 2010, and this past February I had lower back spinal fusion done. In the past couple of months I have been having bilateral shoulder, elbow, and wrist pain that is bad enough so I can't sleep at night.

Comment from: suziegirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I've had severe fibromyalgia pain and recently I had a neck and face lift that cut nerves in that area. The night before the surgery I had horrible fibromyalgia then no pain for three weeks until my nerve feeling came back. Last night (three weeks after surgery I had horrible fibromyalgia. Thought this was very interesting since we now know fibro is connected with nerves in muscles.

Published: September 20

I fell on the sidewalk and jammed my shoulder into my neck several months ago. Had X-rays and nothing was broken but I still have recurring pain in my neck, shoulder and down my arm. I have days when the pain is unbearable and days when it doesn't hurt at all.

Comment from: Adam_Wills_1993, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: August 03

I am a keen footballer and during a pre-season game I had a nasty tackle and went down to ground and landed with my arm out in front of me and it pushed my shoulder out of its socket and ended up in a dislocation. As my shoulder gave way I landed on my neck causing bad pain to the right side of my neck. I have had repeat dislocations and still have pain in my neck and therefore I am going to be having keyhole surgery to my shoulder and plenty of rest to fully recover.

Comment from: Bella's Mom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I was rear-ended in the car in two separate accidents, a little more than a year apart. At this very moment I am suffering from a flare-up of the horrible pain in my upper back/shoulder/arm, all radiating from my neck injuries. I feel as if my head weighs 100 pounds. Dealing with this as frequently as I have been lately is concerning; I wonder what my future holds, as the pain is debilitating despite my high pain tolerance.

Comment from: bonjeman, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I think the cause of my neck pain is related to major auto accident in November 2009. I had numerous injuries to all limbs. My injuries also required surgery to prevent loss of leg which took priority in terms of treatment schedule. My neck was X-rayed but no further treatment done. Pain did not really start til almost year later and has progressively gotten worse. Have no medical insurance, accident settled long ago, determined I was at fault, so I am left to fend for myself. I'm currently on disability, so I'm just trying to live day to day.

Comment from: jgibson, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I fell while skiing. My left elbow preceded my torso hitting the ground. I also over flexed my wrists. Now a month after this bang up, my left elbow, shoulder, and clavicle give me a little pain to remind me that old men should not try to ski too fast.

Comment from: akaeve, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 23

After 4 months of going to doctors and finally going to an ALS specialist, my husband was diagnosed with Parsonage Turner Syndrome. It usually starts with severe neck and shoulder pain, then decreased muscle strength in arms. My husband now also has breathing problems, partially paralyzed diaphragm.

Comment from: dkarma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

About 3 months ago I was playing the game Wii bowling with my grandson. Immediately after I finished the game I started to have severe pain in my shoulder, neck and half way down my arm to right above the elbow. The severe pain has continued ever since, I am already on disability because of nerve damage in my back and I have only Medicare & Medicaid and with the Medicaid I can't find a general practice doctor in my area that accepts it (Medicaid) so it will be impossible to find a surgeon if needed which I believe I will need. I have had surgery on my right shoulder in 1985 torn rotator cuff and 2 surgeries on my left shoulder because of a torn tendon and the pain is the same as when I had these problems before. I really can't stand being in this much pain every single minute of the day. I can't afford to get extra medical insurance so I don't know where to turn, if anyone knows what I can do to get medical help please let me know I would appreciate any suggestions. I am a 61 year-old female and live in Florida.

Comment from: florida native, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 30

I fell hard while playing tennis yesterday. I fell directly into the net, and it caused me to twist and jerk my neck. I did go to the hospital and all of the tests and cat scans came back negative. I am however today feeling numbness in my hands and tingling, as well as some burning feeling in my hands and arms. I was told yesterday I would feel worse today, but I am not sure about this burning/tingling.

Comment from: DEBS250, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I had pain in my neck and my right shoulder, which I put up with for several hours. Then I got a crushing pain, which spread across my chest. At the hospital I was told that I was suffering from a heart attack.

Comment from: The exception, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I have right neck and shoulder pain for 15 yrs. In 2008 doctor told me I had a torn rotator cuff, arthritis, and a broken bone in shoulder. I had my shoulder surgically repaired, then I had no pain for one year. My shoulder started hurting again in November, but the doctor says he doesn't know what to tell me. My spine doctor says my neck looks fine, and today I saw an orthopedist at Cleveland Clinic, who also says shoulder looks fine and he doesn't know what to tell me. He recommended that I see a neurologist because it might be a pinched nerve in neck.

Comment from: dprice312@aol.com, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

69 yrs. old male, injured on job tore bicep tendon and rotator cuff. Had surgery 2 days later. 1 month later admitted to hospital for severe pain in right shoulder. Pain meds do not work. 3 months later rec'd first cortisone shot, no effect. 1 month later had shoulder block, it lasted 2 hours. 2nd opinion-- surgery and took out scar tissue and a stitch that came loose. 2 months later, 2nd cortisone shot which lasted 1 month. 2 months later I rec'd the third cortisone shot --no effect, pain level worse. Went to physical therapy for one year. Therapist said the pain level was way too high that they could not help me, but see what the surgeon says. Surgeon told me "I have done all I could do, I don't know what else to tell you. Why don't you get a job."

Comment from: amonra, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

Since a long time I was having unease in my neck ,then one month ago, I started to feel a very strong pain in my neck and below my neck in my upper back also a pain in my shoulder then it went down to my upper arm.

Comment from: mean sok, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I have pinched nerves in my right shoulder. In my right arm and in all of my fingers, I usually feel numbness. This is my third year of this and I finally decided to go see a doctor, who told me that I have a pinched nerve in my neck. I had an x-ray done and I have to go through physical therapy. Also, over the last few weeks, I have been taking a vitamin C tablet I bought from the grocery store. Now, my problems are reducing by about 60%! I can finally go to sleep and the numbness does not wake me up anymore. I'm going to continue to take vitamin C for the rest of my life if I have to. I have canceled my physical therapy and I give many thanks to the group of doctors who promote vitamin C as a natural remedy.

Comment from: Mimi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I have a neck pain that I was told was due to wrong sleeping position. I just woke up one day and couldn't turn my neck to one side. After some massages and ointments it has gone back to shape, but with slight pains.

Comment from: b8sher, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

I am a forty year old bricklayer and have always had twinges in my back neck and legs. But recently have experienced severe neck, shoulder and arm pain to the point of not being able to sleep. I went to see my chiropractor for an answer he took x-rays and discovered I had a broken bone in my neck which had calcified over and was pushing on my nerve endings hence the pain. He is now in the long slow process of trying to rectify the problem but the pain is no better. Wish I had acted on those twinges earlier on.

Comment from: LKM4606, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

It was about 10 years ago that I had some neck pain and saw my physician at the time. He looked at my x-rays then asked if I had been in some sort of an accident. I hadn't then he showed me the x-rays. He said my 3/4/5 levels of my CSpine were all crushed and lying on top of each other, he ordered some PT and that was it. I am now having reoccurring pain, sometimes it really hurts, some numbing but the sound of my neck bones every time I move my head is just short of driving me crazy. I have been taking OC pain relievers and as long as I stay on it they make it bearable. Heat and cold make it feel worse. My previous doctor did not seem worried but it has now been 10 years, should I be worried. He really never explained things to me as what to expect in the future.

Comment from: Brenda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I found out October 19, 2010 that I have a bulging disc that is putting pressure on my spinal cord on my neck and shoulder. I started last year having shoulder pain, doctor put me on steroids and it helped a while. I still had a burning in my shoulders both sides and the pain had gotten worse. I am waiting for a pain clinic doctor to get back with to see if he can help me.

Comment from: miss mia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

My shoulder and neck pain started from a strain muscle from repetitive overhead activities at my place of employment. I went to the company Doctor and he said that it was bursitis. Well I haven't worked for 1 year and the pain has gotten worse! I have the symptoms of a person who has a stiff neck and cannot turn my neck and the pain is very intense and has started to move down my arm and hand causing it to become numb the shoulder pain is also worse.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter