Shoulder and neck pain may be caused by bursitis, a pinched nerve, whiplash, tendinitis, a herniated disc, or a rotator cuff injury. Symptoms also include weakness, numbness, coolness, color changes, swelling, and deformity. Treatment at home may incorporate resting, icing, and elevating the injury. A doctor may prescribe pain medications and immobilize the injury. Read more: Shoulder and Neck Pain Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
What Does It Mean When Your Whole Body Aches?
Body aches and pains can be disruptive and frustrating. Learn many chronic pain causes, including lupus, arthritis, fibromyalgia,...
Sleep: What Are the Best Sleeping Positions?
What is the best sleep position? Do you dream of sleep that does not aggravate back pain, neck pain, snoring, arthritis, or sleep...
What Is Spinal Stenosis? Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
Spinal stenosis causes back pain, leg pain, difficulty walking and clumsiness. Learn the symptoms of lumbar spinal stenosis and...
Related Disease Conditions
A pinched nerve causes pain, numbness, or tingling in the affected area due to pressure on a nerve. Caral tunnel and sciatica are...
Neck Pain (Cervical Pain)
Neck pain (cervical pain) may be caused by any number of disorders and diseases. Tenderness is another symptom of neck pain....
Sprains and Strains
An injury to a ligament is called a sprain, and an injury to muscle or tendon is called a strain. Sprains and strains may be...
Whiplash is a common injury to a person's neck following a car accident (in most cases). Symptoms include: headache, neck...
Pain management and treatment can be simple or complex, according to its cause. There are two basic types of pain, nociceptive...
Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica
Degenerative disc disease makes the disc more susceptible to herniation (rupture) which can lead to localized or radiating pain....
Rotator Cuff Disease
Rotator cuff disease is damage to any of the four tendons that stabilize the shoulder joint. Shoulder pain and tenderness are...
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to...
Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis
Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis (DISH or Forestier's disease) is a form of degenerative arthritis. It is characterized...
Shoulder and Neck Pain - Causes and Outcome
What caused your shoulder and neck pain? What was the outcome?Post View 66 Comments
Shoulder and Neck Pain - Symptoms
What were the symptoms of your shoulder and neck pain?Post View 4 Comments
Shoulder and Neck Pain - Treatment
What treatments did you receive for shoulder and neck pain?Post View 2 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- ibuprofen - oral, Advil, Motrin, Nuprin
- Tramadol: for Pain (Ultram, Ultram ER, Conzip)
- Narcotic Pain Medications (Opioids, Analgesics, Narcotics)
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- codeine (for Pain)
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
- cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril, Amrix, Fexmid)
- Oxycodone vs. Tramadol for Pain
- Ibuprofen vs. Meloxicam (Mobic) for Pain
- Oxycodone vs. Hydrocodone: Which Is Better for Pain?
- Percocet (oxycodone and acetaminophen, Roxicet, Tylox, Oxycet)
- Cox-2 Inhibitors
- Ibuprofen (Advil) vs. Naproxen (Aleve): Comparison of Differences
- Oxycodone: for Pain (OxyContin, Roxicodone, Oxecta)
- aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid, Bayer, Ecotrin, and others)
- hydrocodone (Zohydro ER)
- Oxycodone vs. Vicodin (hydrocodone/acetaminophen) for Pain
- Percocet vs. Lortab for Pain
- Acetaminophen vs. Ibuprofen for Pain (Differences between Side Effects adn Dosage)
- Aspirin vs. NSAIDs (Side Effect and Use Differences)
- carisoprodol (Soma)
- ketoprofen (Discontinued brands: Nexcede, Orudis, Oruvail, Actron)
- Tramadol (Ultram) Side Effects
Prevention & Wellness
- Electrical Pulses May Ease Pain From 'Slipped' Disc
- Is a Common Shoulder Surgery Useless?
- Health Tip: When to Worry About Neck Pain
- Health Tip: When Your Neck Aches
- Don't Shrug Off Shoulder Safety When Playing Summer Sports
- Acupuncture May Ease Neck Pain Over Long Term
- Health Tip: Easing Neck Pain at Night
- Orthopedist Offers Tips for Preventing Shoulder Injuries
- Stiff Shoulder No Reason to Delay Rotator Cuff Surgery: Study
- Health Tip: When a Shoulder Injury Needs Treatment
- Repetitive Pitching May Cause Teens Serious Shoulder Problems
- Skip the Steroids for Shoulder Pain?
- Timing Is Key to Massage's Benefits for Neck Pain: Study
- Health Tip: Coping With Neck Pain
- Docs Order Too Many Narcotics, Pricey Scans for Back Pain: Study
- Injuries From Ocean Waves More Common Than Thought
- Health Tip: If You Have Neck Pain
- Health Tip: If You Wake With Neck Pain
- Meningitis Outbreak Toll Now 23 Dead, 297 Sickened: CDC
- Meningitis Outbreak Toll Now 23 Dead, 284 Sickened: CDC
- Pain Level After Car Crash Could Depend on Your Genes, Studies Say
- Soaring U.S. Spinal Care Spending Due to Specialists: Study
- Acupuncture Pain Relief Is Real, Researchers Say
- Lower-Dose Radioiodine Effective Against Thyroid Cancer
- Health Tip: Manage the Pain of a Neck Sprain
- Gloves, Padded Headgear Helps Protect Boxers
- Health Tip: A Sprain in the Neck
- Experts Offer Tips on Avoiding iPad-Linked Shoulder, Neck Strain
- Women May Feel More Pain Than Men
- Narrowed Artery Condition Often Goes Undiagnosed: Study
- Surgery Seems Most Effective for Herniated Discs
- Health Tip: Is My Neck Pain Serious?
- Spinal Manipulation, Home Exercise May Ease Neck Pain
- Health Tip: Got a Pain in the Neck?
- Americans Are Flocking to Alternative Therapies
- Health Tip: Ease Neck Pain
- Health Tip: What May Trigger Neck Pain
- Health Tip: Getting Help for Neck Pain
- Health Tip: What's Causing My Shoulder Pain?
- Laser Therapy Seems to Relieve Neck Pain
- Strength Training Eases Chronic Neck Pain
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter