Patient Comments: Shock (Medical) - Signs and Symptoms

Do you know someone who experienced a shock? Please describe his/her signs and symptoms. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: marie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I slipped at the bottom of my stairs, for maybe the 4th time in a year. This time I could not break the fall with the railing, I was at the bottom on the landing, and I landed hard on my right upper buttock hands and legs in the air. I made it back up the stairs to my house, managed to call work and tell them I had a fall and would be late but started going into shock on the phone. I dropped to the floor and started gulping for air, sweating, wanted to vomit and was seeing spots. My son was about to call 911 but it abated. Nothing was broken but my injured area was swelling fast, making it hard to walk. I also realized I hurt my little finger. I actually went to work, after the hot shower I felt better. I joined a meeting in progress but realized I could not sit, I wasn't feeling well and was urged to go to the doctors. By the time I sat down in my car I was in shock again, this time ringing of the ears joined the symptoms and I was dripping with sweat. I couldn't move, I had to stay still, I deep breathed and it abated in 5 minutes. I foolishly drove to urgent care 2 miles away and my pelvic area was x-rayed, nothing broken but my entire pelvic area hurt and my contusion was now huge and made walking difficult. I made it 2 miles home and have been on my side in bed, for 3 days now, staying off my feet to let the muscle rest.

Comment from: kenny, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I was shocked at work with welding machine on 500 volts and 325 amps and was pulled stiff like and steel rod and lost consciousness for a while. The after affects was post-traumatic stress and later had to undergo a fusion on L3-L4-L5 and S1-S2. My blood pressure rose from 150-105 and now it is 183-122. I am taking Carloc 20 mg Prexuim 10mg Cardiosel and have spina bifida (SB) disease of the spine and need treatment to the sacrum.

View First Aid Essentials Slideshow Pictures