Shingles, or herpes zoster, is a painful rash caused by the varicella zoster virus. Other shingles symptoms include headache, fever, nausea, and body aches. Treatment focuses on pain management and shortening the duration of the illness with antiviral medications. Read more: Shingles Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Shingles Quiz: Symptoms, Vaccine & Pictures
Shingles falls within a well-known family of viruses that cause itching, burning, blisters, and pain. Take the Shingles Quiz to...
Chickenpox Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
How is chickenpox related to shingles? Take the Chickenpox Quiz to assess your IQ of this itchy, blistering childhood skin...
Is It Contagious? What Diseases Are Contagious?
Is it contagious? Take this quiz to learn about contagious diseases, how contagious diseases are spread, and myths and facts...
Skin Conditions Quiz: Common Skin Diseases
Could you identify a scabies infestation? Take the Skin Diseases Pictures Quiz and learn to identify common conditions that...
Skin Quiz: Acne, Dry Skin, Dandruff & More
What's that all over you? Skin, of course! Test your knowledge of your most amazing organ with the Skin Quiz!...
Picture of Shingles
An acute infection caused by the herpes zoster virus, the same virus as causes chickenpox. See a picture of Shingles and learn...
Picture of Herpes Zoster
Also called shingles, zona, and zoster. The culprit is the varicella-zoster virus. Primary infection with this virus causes...
Picture of Corneal Ulcer
Most corneal ulcers are caused by infections and can be bacterial (common in people who wear contact lenses), viral herpes...
Picture of Varicella-Zoster Virus Infection (Face)
Multiple, very pruritic, erythematous papules, vesicles (“dewdrops on a rose petal”), and crusted papules on erythematous,...
Picture of Varicella (Chickenpox) Virus
A highly infectious viral disease, known familiarly as chickenpox. See a picture of the Varicella (Chicken Pox) Virus and learn...
Picture of Varicella Chicken Pox
Varicella Chickenpox is caused by a virus of the herpes group. The disease is highly contagious and is spread by droplet or...
Picture of Varicella-Zoster Virus Infection on Chest Wall
Typical grouped vesicles and pustules with erythema and edema of three contiguous thoracic dermatomes on the posterior chest...
Picture of Varicella-Zoster Virus Infection Close-Up
Grouped and confluent vesicles surrounding erythema on the chest wall. See a Varicella-Zoster Virus Infection: Close-Up and learn...
Shingles Rash Pictures, Symptoms, Vaccine Facts
Is shingles contagious? Shingles (herpes zoster virus) is a painful, contagious rash caused by the Varicella zoster virus. Learn...
Rosacea, Acne, Shingles: Common Adult Skin Diseases
Learn to spot and treat skin conditions commonly found in adults such as acne, eczema, shingles, psoriasis, rosacea, hives, cold...
Better Sex After 50
It's never too late to improve your sex life. Learn how to overcome common health conditions affecting those over 50 such as...
Viral Infection Types, Treatment, and Prevention
Watch this slideshow on Viral Infections and learn about types, treatment, and prevention of illnesses caused by viruses....
Shingles: Myths and Facts About the Shingles Virus
There are some common misconceptions about this viral illness and the uncomfortable rash it can cause. Here's a guide through the...
Related Disease Conditions
Second Source article from Government...
Lower Back Pain
There are many causes of back pain. Pain in the low back can relate to the bony lumbar spine, discs between the vertebrae,...
Chickenpox (chicken pox) is a contagious childhood disease caused by the varicella-zoster virus. Symptoms have an incubation...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Peripheral Neuropathy (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment Medications)
Peripheral neuropathy is a problem with the functioning of the nerves outside of the spinal cord. Symptoms may include numbness,...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Bell's Palsy (Facial Nerve Problems) Paralysis Causes and Treatments
Bell's palsy is one type of facial nerve paralysis. The 7th cranial nerve controls the muscles of the face, and although...
Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Aureus)
Staphylococcus or staph is a group of bacteria that can cause a multitude of diseases. Staph infections can cause illness...
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
Ramsay Hunt Syndrome
Ramsay Hunt syndrome is an infection of a facial nerve that causes a red painful rash with blisters and facial paralysis. Other...
Cellulitis is an acute spreading bacterial infection below the surface of the skin characterized by redness, warmth,...
Itch (Itching or Pruritus)
Itching can be a common problem. Itches can be localized or generalized. There are many causes of itching to include: infection...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
First aid is a complicated subject and it is situation-specific. First aid is defined as the help and medical assistance someone...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Scar formation is a natural part of the healing process after injury. The depth and size of the wound incision and the location...
Herpes Viral Infections of the Eye
Herpes of the eye occurs due to herpes simplex virus-1 (HSV-1). Symptoms of herpes of the eye include pain in and around the eye,...
Uveitis is inflammation of the eye. Symptoms include blurred vision, eye pain, eye redness, photophobia, and floaters. Treatment...
Group A streptococcal infections are caused by group A streptococcus, a bacteria that causes a variety of health problems,...
Swollen Lymph Nodes (Glands): Pictures, Causes, Locations, Symptoms, Treatments
Lymph nodes help the body's immune system fight infections. Causes of swollen lymph nodes (glands) may include infection (viral,...
Blindness is the state of being sightless. Causes of blindness include macular degeneration, stroke, cataract, glaucoma,...
Shingles and Pregnancy
Becoming infected with chickenpox during pregnancy could cause birth defects in your unborn child. Likewise, shingles could also...
A corneal ulcer is an open sore on the cornea. Infection is a common cause of corneal ulcer. Symptoms and signs of corneal ulcer...
Keratitis is inflammation of the cornea. Symptoms and signs include pain, tearing, blurred vision, eye redness, watery eyes, or...
Double vision (diplopia) is a symptom that my indicate Graves' disease, myasthenia gravis, stroke, multiple sclerosis,...
Postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) is a painful complication of shingles. Symptoms include severe pain, itchy skin, and possible...
Pain Management: Neuropathic Pain
Neuropathic pain is chronic pain resulting from injury to the nervous system. The injury can be to the central nervous system...
Kidney Pain (Location, Symptoms, Relief)
Kidney pain has a variety of causes and symptoms. Infection, injury, trauma, bleeding disorders, kidney stones, and less common...
Is Shingles Contagious?
Shingles is an infection caused by the varicella-zoster virus. Shingles symptoms and signs include skin burning, numbness, and...
Are Skin Rashes Contagious?
Direct and indirect contact can spread some types of rashes from person to person. Rash treatment depends upon a rash's...
Is Chickenpox Contagious?
Chickenpox is an infectious disease caused by the varicella zoster virus. Chickenpox symptoms and signs include a blistering,...
Local ResourcesFind a local Dermatologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Lower Back Pain
- Chest Pain
- Neck Pain (Cervicalgia)
- Hand and Finger Numbness
- Pinkeye (Conjunctivitis)
- Swollen Lymph Nodes (Lymphadenopathy)
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Buttock Pain
- Arm Pain
- Hip Pain
- Red Spots on the Skin
- Peripheral Neuropathy
- Tingling in Hands and Feet
- Changes in Skin of the Breast
- Skin Conditions Picture FAQs
- Shingles (Herpes Zoster) FAQs
- Skin FAQs
- Contagious FAQs
- Chickenpox FAQs
- Chickenpox Vaccine for My Child?
- Home Remedies for Shingles
- Shingles Pain
- Shingles: A Painful Rash -- Is It Shingles?
- Can the Chicken Pox Vaccine Cause Shingles?
- Can Stress Cause Shingles?
- Shingles Contagious Period and Diagnosis
- Shingles Prevention: Who Should Get the Vaccine?
- Shingles During Pregnancy
- Shingles Treatment
- Shingles Symptoms and Signs
- Shingles Causes
Medications & Supplements
- valacyclovir - oral, Valtrex
- gabapentin solution - oral, Neurontin
- famciclovir - oral, Famvir
- acyclovir - injection, Zovirax
- gabapentin - oral, Neurontin
- acyclovir - oral, Zovirax
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep)
- famciclovir, Famvir
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- gabapentin (Neurontin)
- carbamazepine, Tegretol, Tegretol XR , Equetro, Carbatrol, Epitol, Teril
- acyclovir, Zovirax
- Valtrex (valacyclovir)
- diphenhydramine, Benadryl
- Over-the-Counter Products
- capsaicin - topical, Capsagel, Salonpas-Hot, Zostri
- lidocaine patch (Lidoderm)
- varicella virus vaccine (chickenpox) - injection, Varivax
- docosanol - topical, Abreva
- calamine and zinc oxide (Calamine Lotion)
- acetic acid/aluminum acetate - otic, Domeboro
- diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (DTP) vaccine injection (Adult)
- Lyrica (pregabalin)
- Shingles Vaccine (Zoster Shingles Vaccine Live, Zostavax)
Prevention & Wellness
- Potentially Blinding Shingles of the Eye on the Rise
- Herpes Viruses Can Reactivate In Astronauts While in Space: Study
- Cancer Patients May Face Greater Risk of Shingles
- Health Tip: When to Get the Shingles Vaccine
- Trying to Get the New Shingles Vaccine? Join the Crowd
- Health Tip: Shingles 101
- New Shingles Vaccine Approved by FDA
- Health Tip: One of Three Adults Gets Shingles
- Is Shingles Tied to Heart, Stroke Risk?
- Shingles Vaccine Cuts Chronic Pain, Hospitalizations
- Got an Itch? Use These Tips for Relief -- and Don't Scratch
- What Twins Are Teaching the Rest of Us
- Experimental Shingles Vaccine Looks Quite Effective: Study
- Pain, Epilepsy Drug Lyrica May Increase Birth Defects Risk, Study Suggests
- Chickenpox, Shingles Vaccines Linked to Rare Eye Inflammation
- Shingles Linked to Raised Heart Risks for Seniors, Study Finds
- Shingles Vaccine Appears to Cut Odds of Long-Term Pain
- Health Tip: Easing the Pain of Shingles
- Study Ties Shingles Virus to Dangerous Blood Vessel Disease in Elderly
- 'Kids' Diseases' Now Hitting Adults
- Shingles Vaccine Still Effective After Chemotherapy
- Stroke Risk Spikes Shortly After Shingles Episode: Study
- Boomers Should Consider Shingles Vaccine, Physician Says
- Younger Adults Who've Had Shingles May Face Higher Stroke Risk
- FDA Rejects MS Drug Lemtrada
- Chickenpox Vaccine Not Responsible for Rise in Shingles, Study Says
- Few U.S. Seniors Take Advantage of Shingles Vaccine
- Newer Rheumatoid Arthritis Drugs Don't Seem to Increase Risk of Shingles
- Untreated Depression May Cut Shingles Vaccine Effectiveness
- Shingles Not Linked to Increased Cancer Risk, Study States
- Epilepsy Drug Gabapentin Calms Chronic Cough
- Shingles Vaccine Safe for Those With Autoimmune Diseases: Study
- FDA Approves Horizant for Post-Shingles Pain
- Little Short-Term Risk of Repeat Bout of Shingles, Study Finds
- Cell Transplant Tested as Treatment for Nerve Pain in Mice
- Shingles Vaccine Deemed Safe in Large Study
- Children With Asthma at Higher Risk for Shingles: Study
- Too Few American Adults Getting Needed Vaccinations: CDC
- Health Tip: Getting the Shingles Vaccine
- FDA: Shingles Vaccine OK at Age 50 and Up
- Shingles Returns More Often Than Thought
- Health Tip: Recognizing Symptoms of Shingles
- Herpes Drugs May Be Safe in Early Pregnancy
- Qutenza Approved for Post-Shingles Nerve Pain
- Shingles May Raise Risk of Stroke
- Family History Ups Shingles Risk
- Age 60 or Older? Get Shingles Vaccine
- 1 Million Shingles Patients in U.S.
- Shingles Drug Reduces Spinal Cord Injury Pain
- FDA Approves First Shingles Vaccine
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter