Patient Comments: Shin Splints - Causes

What was the cause of your shin splints? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Enquirer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I got shin splints when I was doing a long distance walk. I didn't know at that stage that I needed tailor-made orthopedic insoles so was just wearing generic insoles. I also wasn't used to carrying a heavy rucksack. I couldn't stop the walk so wore a stretch bandage like a sock on my shin while walking which helped and walked less miles each day than planned. Even now 13 years later if I try to walk too fast sometimes I can feel the ache beginning again.

Comment from: luka, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 12

I had my ganglion cyst on my finger when I was 20. I cut it off and it disappeared. I did not have it until when I was 58 it appeared behind the wrist. It was surgically removed but re-emerged at 59 and I am now nursing the wound.

Comment from: SJ, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I have been suffering on and off with shin splints in both legs for years. Pretty much anytime I try to jog or fast walk. I am trying so hard to be able to enjoy the outside and go for a jog like everyone else can. I'm not even trying to run marathons or anything. I'd be happy if I could reach 2 or 3 miles even! I have custom orthotics in my shoes from a foot doctor and USD 140 running shoes. I tried the calf sleeve and was in so much more pain I had to roll them down immediately. It is horrible. I have a standup desk now and I have been doing calf raises and foot flexing hoping this helps! I don't know what else to do. I really haven't tried icing though that I'll admit!

Comment from: Alexander, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 19

I broke my foot 2 months ago while playing soccer, and I spent 5 weeks in splint. I have recently begun to run, practice boxing and play soccer again, and I notice that I can only make about half of the distance I could on my runs before the splints start hurting too much to continue. My Splints are probably occurring because I have not been able to use the ankle and foot during the recovery period, hence the muscles and ligaments are weaker and more prone to stress while running.

Comment from: Dano, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

I have been running for about 8 years. Typically I will run a couple of miles as a warm up for my weight training at least 4 days during the week. On weekends I typically will kick that up to 4 to 6 miles per day so I'm probably running a total of 16 to 20 miles per week on average. Well, about 3 weeks ago I kicked it up another notch and ran 7 miles on Sat, then 8 miles on Sunday. Bad mistake, I got shin splints on my left side. Now nothing seems to help get rid of them. I even took 4 days off from running and it didn't help a bit. I can struggle through the first half mile or so then they seem to feel okay until the next day. But that first half mile is severe pain. One of my co-workers told me to get new shoes which I plan on trying this weekend. But, it really sucks having these. It's hard enough to talk yourself into working out 6 days a week, this just makes it harder.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I got up with a very stiff neck and a week is gone and the pain is very bad. I just do not know the reason for my torticollis. Hope somebody can tell me what can be done.

Comment from: Sara, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I recently developed shin splints, mostly in my left leg. My guess as to the cause is that I just started soccer camp. I'm really out of shape, and we've been doing very intense workouts. It's progressed to the point where walking up stairs is virtually impossible because of the pain. However, my mom won't let me stop playing because she insists it will go away by itself. I'm hoping the pain will go away soon, but it seems to be increasing.

Comment from: Cassie, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I was running 15 minutes during track. I took a five-minute break, then started running again for another 10 minutes. This put a lot of pressure on my ankles. I didn't think that I had shin splits because nothing was hurting. After a few hours, I got a throbbing pain in my knee, ankle and foot. It moved throughout my leg and down to my knee. It hurt and throbbed with every step I took. My track teacher made me run anyway after I asked to sit out for the day. She told me that sitting out wouldn't make a difference for the pain and suggested I use ice. After researching, I feel my coach shouldn't have made me run.

Comment from: jakedoggie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

My first outbreak of shin splints was due to wearing high heels and walking a long distance. I had never had them before but it was very painful. That was in 1985. Since that time, I have suffered with shin splints with just a normal walk in good athletic shoes. It lasts for days and is very painful. I didn't have these problems or symptoms when I was younger and now I don't seem to be able to avoid them. It aches so badly, it feels like my shins should be swollen twice their normal size.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I was diagnosed with shin splints in September of last year. I was on the school's cross country team (not my first year of running distance). The coach was ready for us to step it up and increase our workouts; apparently, my body wasn't. At first, the pain was very mild and mostly in my knees and ankles. The previous year I was diagnosed with patella femoral pain syndrome and boy that was not fun at all. I figured the pains were just from that and because it was indeed just the beginning of the season. I. Was. WRONG! My doctor told me to take off 2 weeks, but turns out, I missed about 4. Major practices, mid-season, pre-state meets. It was horrible. I was terribly disappointed because shin splints caused me to miss the state meet. My shins eventually got better, but the tenderness remains. Track is starting in just a few months and hopefully, the splints will not return.

Comment from: beheloka, 55-64 Male Published: May 13

When I walk, I have pain in my left shin below the knee. Usually my walk is 20 -25 minutes. I increased my walk to one hour and did well the first few times. Then I started getting severe pain and had to stop and rest. When I stop walking, the pain fades very quickly. What's happening?

Comment from: dee, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I just recently got into running, and for the past few weeks I've been running for one minute with a two minute rest in between to work myself up to run further. Earlier this week I changed it to running a minute and a half, and when I went to do my second work out of the week I noticed intense pains in my shins but I tried to run through it. Now the next day it hurts even when I'm not walking and so I think I may have shin splints. No running until I can walk without pain.

Comment from: overweight woman, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I am overweight and just started a walking program with a friend. The distance we walk and the hard surfaces led to shin splints. They are not severe and I hope to work through them.

Comment from: Barry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

I've had leg cramps for many years, off and on, mostly when I lie down. They are definitely associated with being on my feet for more than two hours a day. I used to work for UPS and bowl five nights a week, and before that was a runner. I am wondering if the cause of my cramps might be shin splints.

Comment from: patience, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I have been running up and down hills (6 -8 miles) and I think the running downhill has caused it. Having a heel piece in my right shoe didn't help any, because it keeps the foot from bending the way it should. I was wearing the heel piece to help keep my back in place, not knowing that my back was already in place and that I didn't need it at that time. My back tends to go in and out. Can't wait till this goes away!

Comment from: Kasey, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I had stress fractures in the Air Force and I have only been able to make them better since I've been out. ICE THEM! Baby them, or they will not heal.

Comment from: Troy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I jog on hard surfaces which are really uneven at times. Four weeks later I started aerobics and I lost weight rapidly. Then three or four weeks later, a dull pulsing racing pain below my left knee and just to the center of my shin, woke me from a deep sleep. I use a biofreeze pain relieving gel that gave grateful relief, but later in the day the pain returned and kept getting more painful. Today is the third day since I started feeling the pain. Walking on my toes helps a whole lot.

Comment from: Cody, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

Broke/sprained badly my ankle in football season, then once my bone healed I got tendinitis in my ankle, then track started up and I got shin splints during track season from over running. A pretty awful year for me. It took about 6-7 months to be 100% again.

Comment from: Remi , 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 16

I got shin splints above my ankle on my left foot, after running 1070 kms from Melbourne to Adelaide; tomorrow I will do an injection of the tibias tendon with a local anesthetic and steroid. I hope it will work, I need to go back on my run as soon as possible, I have still 4200 kms to run. Hopefully it's just a shin splints and not a stress fracture.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

First off I had a total left knee replacement 4 years ago. Now for 2 years I have plantar fasciitis in both feet. Spent money on rubber inserts from a doctor now for 2 months I am having shin splints in left leg more than the right. A month ago a doctor gave me an injection of cortisone in my feet and it did nothing. Charged me a thousand dollars for the 2 injections and the doctor never told me the price, I would not have had that done. So now I am back to wearing my shapeup tennis shoes, at first I thought it was them causing the shin trouble. I just don't know what to do anymore. The doctor also told me I have no padding left on the ball of my feet.

Comment from: fezza07, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 25

I ran a lot on concrete at school, which was fine. We used to play touch, and even Rugby League on concrete. At school, I was very athletic and never ever had shin splints. I left school about 3 years ago, and since I have done nothing but eat lots of food and drink a lot of beer. I do a lot of resistance training and am benching 130 kgs at the moment so I'm not an entire slouch lol. I have picked Rugby up again this year after many years of not running. I have since gained about 20 kilos since school, and getting used to running again is what my shin splints is about, as well as getting used to running with this upper body frame I've built. Anyone else had this experience? I'm icing regularly and they feel better by the day. Just don't get frustrated and try to run it out after a couple of days, you need weeks of rest. I've had Shin Splints for about a month now because of trying to run the problem out at training. Believe you me, it doesn't work. Ice up, rest up, stretch, and you'll be as good as gold.

Comment from: eve, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I have had shin splints for the past 6 months and I find when the place is cold and damp it bothers me more. It is so painful. I am not into any kind of sports and am really puzzled as to how I developed this. I have tried stretching and ice with anti-inflammatory pills but still have the pain. I don't think it ever really goes away.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I recently started having shin splints about a week ago, after our track coaches started to increase our pratice regimen. At first I assumed it was a pulled muscle, and wow--was I wrong. I then did some research after being diagnosed with the shin splint and found the cause of mine was indeed our track practice. After going from never running long distances we would run FIVE MILES A DAY. I understand that may not be very long, but keep in mind this is our first practice of the JV team.

Comment from: Dianne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I have just been diagianosed with shin splints. My left ankle is very sensitive to touch especially after I have worked a 9 hour shift in a canteen. I play tennis but it does not affect my game. Ibuprofen and voltaren gel seem to be the only thing to help ease the pain. What annoys me is that the pain can wake me up in the middle of the night sometimes. I got shine splints after taking up walking 6 months later.

Comment from: Raz, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I've had on/off shin splints since my mid teens (I am now 40). What I have found to work for me, is to apply pressure using my thumbs (to the threshold where it is difficult to take the pain) to the affected area when painful. Additionally, a sports masseuse once manipulated my tendon where it is attached under the ankle bone - much like you would a string on a guitar 5-10 times. Feels like you're being electrocuted, painful, but definitely makes it better.

Comment from: DB, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 25

I have started to play 5 A-Side soccer twice per week to help with weight loss. I am very fat, approximately 20 stone. My shins kill me after the 60 minutes. If I play again 3-4 days later half way through the game the pain is unbearable, especially if at any time during the game the shins get a kick or a ball hits them. Ibuprofen works short term post match and Deep heat cream is pointless (not to mention smelly). I love swimming but it doesn't make me lose weight or feel 'worked out' like footie does. Facts are I need to lose weight (working on it) and I love playing footie. Shins are not helping me out. Any advice is appreciated.

Comment from: 13-18 Male Published: January 19

I began actively training and playing tennis after a four-month layoff – that's what caused my shin splints.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter