Patient Comments: Shin Splints - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your shin splints last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Nathan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I am a moderate triathlete now in marathon mode training. I'm now experiencing my second occurrence of shin splints, the first time round I experienced mild pain during a 5 km time trial. I still went for a long 22 km run the next day, but realized it wouldn't get better without rest. After two days off and a session on the bike the next day, it was much better. However doing some extreme ankle stretches to improve flexibility for swimming seemed to aggravate it again particularly in the ankle area. Thankfully after another 2 days off, I fully recovered and did a personal best at an Olympic triathlon and was all good for a couple of months. If I had to describe the pain I experienced it was a bit like having DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) wrapped really close to bone on the front of the shin and a bit on the ankles. It wasn't too bad, but avoiding pain makes sense for it to heal. On my second occurrence I've tended to run through it a bit for a week now. All the advice seems to be you need rest for it to heel, so I'm finally doing that. Overall it's a bit worse in that I can feel it a bit walking now, but it's not that bad yet, I'll see how I go with rest and cross training the next week.

Comment from: pushedtoohard, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

Never underestimate your shin splints. In high school my track coach had the 'run through it' attitude. I ended up with shin splints that destroyed my track career. After graduation it took more than a year of doing no activity at all before I was able to run 15 feet without pain. It was a horribly painful and emotional experience. If you have shin splints do not allow your parents or your coaches to push you through the pain because shin splints do not get better without rest.

Comment from: CalifNurse, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

Twelve days ago I attended my niece's graduation, there was no parking so I parked about 1.5 miles from the event and had to almost run so I would not miss it. I ran in a nurse uniform and wedge nurse heels/shoes. I was fine until the next morning when my left front shin felt like it would never be the same. It has not resolved at all, I either limp or drag the foot. I notice when I rest it, it feels much better, or wear sandals with heel it feels less painful. I will try ibuprofen. It feels like a blood clot or shin splints. If it does not start to get better I'll ask the foot and ankle surgeon I work for to help. (Typical nurse patient, I will heal myself!)

Comment from: queenb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I get shin splints when I wear inappropriate footwear while walking (am dragged by) a dog on an outing. This time I found that after getting them I did the sun salute yoga exercise as a warm up, which helped with muscle alignment and lessened pain in the area.

Comment from: JenninDC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have started the C25K (Couch to 5 KM) program and am on week 2. I've had shin splints every time I run. Going, quite literally, from the couch to running has been a challenge, especially with this pain. I am not giving up though. I ice the shins for 20 min post workout, then again before bed and take Aleve. I always give myself a day of rest. I need new sneakers but can't afford them right - no more excuses so a "run through it with a post-run routine' is my answer.

Comment from: AlexShea, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 07

For almost 10 years, I suffered from agonizing shin splints, searching for a way to end my problem that caused me frustration and a whole lot of pain. One day I was going for a jog around the park when all of a sudden my knees buckled as a gut-wrenching shot of pain rippled through my shins, and I collapsed in a heap. It felt like a knife being stabbed into the inside of my leg!

Comment from: ruth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have been having problems with shin splints for the last 6 months. Stopped any exercise apart from bicycling and swimming for about 6 weeks, and strengthening exercise set by my physiotherapist. Started trying to run small distances again and the pain was worse than it had been before, rested again for a number of weeks while I went through more strengthening exercises, different physiotherapist. Tried to start running again and it was better but still was getting pain. I am about to go and get X-rays and ultrasounds done with possibility of injection into the site. I am hoping that this might finally be of some help.

Comment from: Miss Frustrated, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I used to run cross-country competitively but stopped because of a sprained ankle. I started running again in preparation for army-officer fitness tests with no problem, but then I did a team race in my army issue boots, and I had to stop because of excruciating shin splints. I was told by a fellow officer cadet that she cured her shin splints by running through it: Do not try this! Thanks to her sage advice, I spent all of Christmas having to sit out on all physical activities with excruciating pain even when walking. Now I have the best trainers available on the market, orthotics for all footwear, and new shoes, all of which have some sort of heel, which has helped immensely. I personally haven't found the leg stretches have helped. I'm back to training now, but the pain has returned. I think it's because of overexertion last night. It's so frustrating!

Comment from: Jacko, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 18

Six months ago, I had to have a total right knee replacement. Since then, I have been unable to do a great deal of exercise. Having now returned to work, I am walking about six to eight miles a day. I have now developed shin splints in my right leg, which at times, can be very painful. I'm taking ibuprofen three times a day with paracetamol, and I apply ice on the shin for 20 minutes before work. This has already started to ease the pain.

Comment from: Brad, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: November 10

I have been affected by shin splints for about five days now, and they started because of intense soccer practice. I had not run much before soccer season, so I was out of shape. In addition, I forced too much pressure on my legs. My athletic trainer at school suggested icing right before and after practice or working out. Surprisingly, during my practices, I do not feel much pain when I wear shin guards in comparison to when I don't. I believe wrapping or adding support to your shins will drastically make a difference.

Comment from: Ms Vicky, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I suffered shin splint inflammation in one leg, exacerbated by long walks on hard pavements wearing shoes with too much arch support so that my own high arches could not act as a spring softening my walk. Vitamin D 1000 mg/day, ibuprofen, and using the leg much less for an extended period of time helped, as well as stretching the front of the lower leg before walking by placing toes up against a step and leaning into foot. I am also NOT wearing the high support insteps and have had no more problems even after extended walks on hard pavements.

Comment from: Joseph, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I am a 59-year-old male and have been running off and on for many years. I joined a health club about six weeks ago and began to pursue running again in earnest. In the first two weeks, I did about 15 miles with no problem. In the second two weeks, I did about 20 miles with no problem. Then in these last two weeks, I developed severe shin splints. I tried to run through it, especially the first mile, and was somewhat successful. However, after mile three, the cramping developed, and I almost fell off the treadmill. I rested one full week and returned to running and had more severe pain than before. I tired ice and Aleve and generally feel OK before I start to run. This can be very frustrating. Guess I will try two weeks off and start slowly again … ugh.

Comment from: Patrick, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

I am 15 and developed shin splints from soccer after running more than two miles per day without rest then having practice. I had shin splints for three weeks, and after the first week, I became dizzy and lightheaded from the pain. It got to a point that I had trouble concentrating because of intense pain. I fell a few times, and felt like I would pass out. Finally the school nurse made me take an ice bath before and after practice. He also taught me several exercises to help strengthen my shins. My mom bought me better running shoes. Since I started icing and exercising, the pain has turned to a work-out kind of burn feeling.

Comment from: sandlwd, 35-44 Female Published: December 18

I can't win ... I started walking/jogging twice a day and after about a week, my left shin starting giving me problems again. I have not had them in years, and now to show up kills me. I suffered from extreme lower back pain for most of the year and that had finally eased up and I was back to working out. But now I have to ease up on that as well. I have heard of using an ACE bandage to help with the pain. I think I will try that.

Comment from: hdsncnty, 25-34 Female Published: December 18

I recently started playing competitive basketball again after about 10 years. I knew I had them from the first two games, but then, I figured by the next week they'd be gone as long as I laid low. I was wrong. I had shin splints in full force after the next game. Just lying down, my puppy or my boyfriend rubbing against my shins was agony! The only thing that is helping is not playing at this point. It has been about a week and a half now since my last game, and my shins have finally stopped hurting to the touch.

Comment from: Lisa J., 35-44 Female Published: November 24

I have shin splints really bad in the left leg and some in the right leg. I got them about four years ago, and I get a blue knot on the front of my leg. Simple walking hurts really bad. I just started exercising to fight being overweight, and now, about the third day of running, I can feel them acting up. Stretching hasn't done anything.

Comment from: Ezie Breezie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I am experiencing shin splints for the very first time. I started working out with a personal trainer and pushing my body to the max. One day, after running laps (in the wrong shoes), my shins were swollen and hurting very badly. I took some Ibuprofen, and they felt better until I went back to the gym the next day and ran more laps. When I got into my car to go home, I was in the worst pain imaginable. I had no idea this could hurt so badly. I don't want to stop my training, but I may have no other choice. I can't drive or get up the stairs. Daily activities have me sweating bullets and shivering in pain. I really hope this doesn't last a whole week; I will have a mental break down!

Comment from: hillpride, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I have shin splints. I am 15-years-old and I started running two miles everyday after school and then practicing for soccer. Sometimes they hurt so bad I am running and crying at the same time. I am also a hockey player but my shins never bother me when I am skating. I think it's because it's a gliding motion and I am not putting intense pressure on my shins. I don't want to seem like a wuss to my coaches though so I am just working through it.

Published: July 22

My husband is in the police academy and so rest is not an option. We have found that ibuprofen, ice and resting whenever possible has been the best solution. He still has episodes in which it is painful, and it is difficult to walk. It is a very frustrating thing. Stretches and elevation seem to be helping the most.

Published: June 18

I used to be a team gymnast and had severe shin splints at times. I had very weak ankles and believe this may have contributed to the shin splints. Exercises at night lying down, legs up at a 90 degree angle to the body, then twirling toes and flexing pointed and piked helps tremendously. Also - I found that the bicycle was the worst possible exercise. It often made my shin splints much, much worse. As a gymnast, you use your back calf muscle much more than the front muscle. Our coach taught us to stretch the front muscle before workouts by standing, touching toes, then hands on floor flat, let legs go back, and pump your toes like a runner ready for a sprint. This helps!

Published: June 13

It has now been a week and 1 day since my shin splint occurred. It has gone through many phases (not so bad to very painful and now going back to not so bad). I cannot stop working out totally, so I have resorted to riding my bike instead of running. I have a feeling it will be well into next week before I will feel comfortable running on it again, considering that I have a lot of pain just walking still. Very frustrating. I have been icing and taking ibuprofen, which I think is helping some. However I am anxiously awaiting a full recovery. Good Luck to the other shin splint injuries.

Comment from: connectsouth, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I am 34 yrs old and actively run on a treadmill up to 2 miles a day. I decided to run thru the neighborhood this evening and not sure if because I was running on concrete but I am suffering from a shin splint in my right leg only. I have a friend that used to play ball in college and said when they would do two practices a day and they used to develop shin splints regularly from having to practice on a hard field when school would return for a period of about two weeks. He recommended lying down with my back to floor and legs elevated against wall if possible and Ice for quick relief.

Comment from: alystra2, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I've been dealing with shin splints (again) for two weeks, so far. The pain is in the lower inside of the left shin, radiating into the calf muscle.

Comment from: Twinky, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I have shin splits and I'm only eleven! I think it's because someone jacked the soccer ball at my shin yesterday. It hurts, because I forgot to wear shin-guards. Always wear shin-gaurds!!!

Comment from: Dancer, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I'm a dancer and I've recently gotten shin splints in both legs, but my left one is a lot worse. I think I probably got them cause I've been taking twice as many dance classes lately and started to point this year (requires lots of strong leg and ankle muscles) and I think I'm just over doing myself. I actually quit point because it was hurting too bad. My dance teachers told me that they used to get shin splints at my age too and they said tapping your toes up and down till it starts burning your muscles then stretching them out the other way helped them and it's been helping me. Also, wrapping my legs helped too.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have recently kicked up my training and running in an effort to lose 20 lbs. I am overweight for my height although I am in good shape body wise; I need to shed some body fat. I have shin splints so bad I was almost brought to tears when I came home from the gym last night. I am supposed to take a spin class tonight; instead I think I will try the elliptical. I am now going to ice up my shins.

Comment from: Tom, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

I play football 4 times a week on 4 different playing surfaces, recently by Sunday a heavy, dull pain is agonizing next to the shin bone and in the calf. I believe the causes are due to failure to warm the muscles before exercise and overuse and over stress of the lower leg muscles. The intense pain is an eye opener to warm up before exercise and to take time out if your body is telling you to do so. Good luck to anyone suffering from shin splints because it bloody hurts.

Comment from: Male Published: August 12

I had shin splints when I was participating in track and field as a pole vaulter. I was able to keep practicing and performing by taping my lower legs. I was taped up in a crisscross pattern from just below the knees to the ankles.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter