Sexually transmitted diseases, or STDs, are infections that are transmitted during any type of sexual exposure, including intercourse (vaginal or anal), oral sex, and the sharing of sexual devices, such as vibrators. Women can contract all of the STDs, but may have no symptoms, or have different symptoms than men do. Common STDs in women are:
- Zika virus
- Genital herpes
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
- Pubic lice
- Genital warts
Treatment for STDs depends upon the type.Read more: Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STD) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Infidelity Quiz: Surviving Infidelity
How long does the average affair last? Learn about love, lies, and more with the Infidelity Quiz....
Puberty In Girls Quiz: Stages of Puberty
Take the Puberty In Girls Quiz to learn the myths and facts about normal adolescent growth and development for teens and tweens....
Genital Herpes Quiz: What is Genital Herpes?
What is genital herpes? Learn the causes, symptoms in men and women, and treatments for this common sexually transmitted skin...
STD Quiz: Symptoms, Testing & List
There are more sexually transmitted diseases than just the ones you've heard of. Find out what you've been missing with the STD...
Picture of The Clap (Gonorrhea)
A sexually transmitted infection (STI) caused by the bacterium Neisseria gonorrhoea. See a picture of The Clap (Gonorrhea) and...
Picture of Syphilis
A sexually transmitted disease caused by Treponema pallidum, a microscopic organism called a spirochete. See a picture of...
Picture of Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2
A herpes virus that causes genital herpes, which is characterized by sores in the genital area. See a picture of Herpes Simplex...
Picture of HIV/AIDS
Acronym for the Human Immunodeficiency Virus, the cause of AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome). See a picture of HIV/AIDS...
Picture of LGV (Lymphogranuloma Venereum)
An uncommon genital or anorectal (affecting the anus and/or rectum) infection that is caused by a specific type of Chlamydia...
Picture of Molluscum Contagiosum
A contagious disease of the skin marked by the occurrence of rounded soft tumors of the skin caused by the growth of a virus (one...
Picture of Genital Warts (HPV)
A wart in the moist skin of the genitals or around the anus. See a picture of Genital Warts (HPV) and learn more about the health...
Picture of Crabs (Pubic Lice)
Parasitic insects found in the genital area of humans. See a picture of Crabs (Pubic Lice) and learn more about the health topic....
Picture of Chancroid
A sexually transmitted infection (STI) caused by the bacterium Haemophilus ducreyi. See a picture of Chancroid and learn more...
Picture of Chlamydia
A type of bacteria which causes an infection very similar to gonorrhea in the way that it is spread, the symptoms it produces,...
Picture of Vagina
The vagina is an elastic, muscular canal with a soft, flexible lining that provides lubrication and sensation. See a picture of...
A Timeline of the HIV/AIDS Pandemic
Get a historical overview of the HIV/AIDS pandemic from human contraction to the present through this slideshow of pictures....
What Is Scabies? Rash, Treatment, Symptoms, Pictures
Get the facts on scabies (itch mite) causes, signs and symptoms. Learn what scabies looks like and how to treat it through these...
Health Screening Tests Every Woman Needs
What is a health screening? Why is it important to know your blood pressure? How long will your health screening take? Learn...
Men, Love, and Sex: 18 Secrets Guys Wish You Knew in Pictures
What do men really want you to know about them? For better intimacy, learn these 18 secrets guys wish you Knew about sex, love,...
Pelvic Pain: What's Causing Your Pelvic Pain?
There are many causes of pelvic pain in women including cysts, PMS, appendicitis, and bladder infections. Pelvic pain has...
STD Diagnosis, Images, Symptoms, Treatment
Learn about sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) including symptoms, signs, diagnosis, and treatment options. Get more...
Choosing Your Birth Control Method
What are your birth control options? Learn about birth control side effects and effectiveness. Discover birth control methods...
Better Sex After 50
It's never too late to improve your sex life. Learn how to overcome common health conditions affecting those over 50 such as...
19 Secrets Women Wish You Knew With Pictures
There are secrets women would love for you to know. These relationship secrets are based on the study of healthy, happy couples,...
HIV AIDS Facts: Symptoms and Treatments
What is HIV AIDS (human immunodeficiency virus-acquired immunodeficiency syndrome)? Discover myths and facts about living with...
Physical Exam: Why Does Your Doctor Do That?
Your physical exam is when you need your doctor's expert help. Your health depends on it. Learn how doctors spot high blood...
Head and Neck Cancers: Symptoms and Treatments
Head and neck cancers include cancers of the throat, lips, nose, mouth, larynx, and salivary glands. They are more likely to...
What Are HIV & AIDS? Symptoms, Treatment, and Prevention
HIV, or human immunodeficiency virus, causes acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, or AIDS. Learn about HIV positive, being HIV...
Related Disease Conditions
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
The human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) causes HIV infection and the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). Symptoms and signs...
Cervical cancer is cancer of the entrance to the womb (uterus). Regular pelvic exams and Pap testing can detect precancerous...
Ectopic Pregnancy (Symptoms, Signs, Treatment)
An ectopic pregnancy is a pregnancy located outside the inner lining of the uterus. The majority of ectopic pregnancies occur in...
Genital Warts in Women (HPV)
Genital warts is an infection caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). It is the most common sexually transmitted infection...
Hepatitis (Viral Hepatitis, A, B, C, D, E, G)
Hepatitis is most often viral, due to infection with one of the hepatitis viruses (A, B, C, D, E, F (not confirmed), and G) or...
Hepatitis A and B Vaccinations
Hepatitis A and hepatitis B are the two most commnon viruses that infect the liver. Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B can be prevented...
Reactive arthritis is a chronic, systemic rheumatic disease characterized by three conditions, including conjunctivitis, joint...
Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs)
A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection of the bladder, kidneys, ureters, or urethra. E. coli, a type of bacteria that...
Hepatitis C (HCV, Hep C)
Hepatitis C is an inflammation of the liver due to the hepatitis C virus (HCV), which is usually spread by blood transfusion,...
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (Symptoms, Repair, Surgery, Survival Rate)
Abdominal aortic aneurysm is a ballooning or widening of the main artery (the aorta) as it courses down through the abdomen. Most...
Group B Strep
Group B strep are bacteria called Streptococcus agalactiae that may sometimes cause infections both in a pregnant woman and her...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Approximately 40 million children suffer abuse every year around the world, and more than 1,500 children die of abuse in the U.S....
Gonorrhea In Women
Gonorrhea is a bacterial infection transmitted during sexual contact. In women, symptoms include a yellow vaginal discharge,...
Chlamydia in Women (Symptoms and Cures)
Chlamydia is the most common sexually transmitted disease in the U.S. Signs and symptoms of chlamydia, a bacterial infection,...
Syphilis in Women
Syphilis is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) caused by a spiral-shaped type of bacteria known as a spirochete. There are...
Genital Herpes in Women (Symptoms, Signs, Treatment)
Genital herpes is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV). Symptoms of genital herpes...
Yaws is an infectious disease that mainly occurs in the tropical areas of South and Central America, Asia, Africa, and the...
Superior Vena Cava Syndrome
Superior vena cava syndrome is compression of the superior vena cava vein located in the upper chest. Causes of superior vena...
Women's health is an important topic area to guide a woman through the stages of her life, as well as knowing the conditions and...
Dementia is defined as a significant loss of intellectual abilities such as memory capacity, severe enough to interfere with...
Healthy Living and Disease Prevention
The importance of a healthy lifestyle in disease prevention is widely understood and most people know that lifestyle changes and...
Birth Control Options (Types and Side Effects)
Birth control is available in a variety of methods and types. The method of birth control varies from person to person, and...
Scabies are itch mites that burrow under the skin and produce intense itching that's usually worse at night. Symptoms of scabies...
STDs in Men
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections transmitted during sexual contact. They may be caused by viruses, bacteria,...
Cytomegalovirus (CMV) is a virus that is spread from person to person via spit, semen, vaginal secretions, urine, blood, sexual...
Hepatitis B (HBV, Hep B)
The hepatitis B virus (HBV, hep B) is a unique, coated DNA virus belonging to the Hepadnaviridae family of viruses. The course of...
Disease Prevention in Women
Disease prevention in women includes screening tests that are a basic part of prevention medicine. All screening tests are...
Normal vaginal bleeding (menorrhea) occurs through the process of menstruation. Abnormal vaginal bleeding in women who are...
Bacterial vaginosis is an abnormal vaginal condition with signs and symptoms of vaginal discharge, vaginal odor, and...
Enjoying a satisfying sex life as we age is important to both physical and mental health. As we age, diseases and conditions may...
Pubic Lice (Crabs)
Pubic lice (crabs) are parasitic insects found in the genital area, and are primarily spread through sexual contact. Symptoms of...
Antibiotic Resistance (Drug Resistance, Antimicrobial Resistance)
Drug resistance (antimicrobial resistance) is the ability of bacteria, fungi, parasites, and viruses to grow, even in the...
Anal cancer, cancer located at the end of the large intestine, has symptoms that include anal or rectal bleeding, anal pain or...
Sexual health information including birth control, impotence, herpes, sexually transmitted diseases, staying healthy, women's...
Sexual Problems (Sex) in Women
Sexual dysfunction refers to a problem that arises during any phase of the sexual response cycle, preventing an individual or...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Pregnancy (STDs)
When you are pregnant, many sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) can be especially harmful to you and your baby. These STDs...
There are many forms of sexual assault, including rape, attempted rape, child molestation, sexual intercourse that you say no to,...
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is the most common and serious complication of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), aside from...
The time when boys and girls begin the process of sexual maturation is called puberty. During this time, both sexes undergo a...
Trichomoniasis is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) caused by a parasite passed from person to person. Trichomoniasis can be...
Aortic dissection is a small tear in the large blood vessel that leads from the heart and supplies blood to the body. There are...
Genital Warts in Men (HPV)
The HPV virus (genital warts) in men can cause health problems. Genital warts are confined primarily to the moist skin of the...
Alzheimer's disease is a common cause of dementia. Symptoms and warning signs of Alzheimer's disease include memory loss,...
Just about everybody masturbates. Masturbation itself is the self-stimulation of the male or female genitals to achieve sexual...
Swollen Lymph Nodes (Causes, Locations, Symptoms, Treatments)
Lymph nodes help the body's immune system fight infections. Causes of swollen lymph nodes (glands) may include infection (viral,...
Molluscum contagiosum is a skin disease that causes pink painless bumps on the skin. It typically resolves in six to 12 months....
Cervical dysplasia is a condition in which the cells of the inner lining of the cervix have precancerous changes. There are two...
Reproductive health encompasses the beginning of menstruation for women, choosing the right birth control method for you and your...
Urethral cancer is a rare form of cancer that primarily affects white females, people over 60 years of age, and those who have...
A urethral stricture, or narrowing of the urethra, may cause decreased urine output. Symptoms include painful urination, urinary...
Trachoma is an infectious disease caused by the Chlamydia trachomatis bacteria. Symptoms and signs include redness and irritation...
Abdominal Adhesions (Scar Tissue)
Abdominal adhesions (scar tissue) bands of scar tissue that form between abdominal organs and tissues. Symptoms of abdominal...
Bladder Infection (Cystitis)
Bladder infection is an infection of the bladder, usually caused by bacteria or, rarely, by Candida. Certain people, including...
Is Chlamydia Contagious? (Symptoms and Transmission)
Chlamydia is a sexually tranmistted disease (STD) that is contagious. Chlaymida is spread through sexual contact (You cannot get...
Is Hepatitis Contagious?
Hepatitis means "inflammation of the liver," and there are several different types of such as A, B, C, D, and E. Some types of...
Is Scabies Contagious?
The Sarcoptes scabiei mite causes scabies in humans. Close skin-to-skin contact can transmit scabies. The incubation period for...
Is Sepsis Contagious?
Sepsis is a potentially life-threatening infection that may be caused by: bacteria, fungi, viruses, or parasites....
Zika Virus (Zika Fever)
The Zika virus is transmitted by the bite of an infected Aedes mosquito. Symptoms and signs of a Zika virus infection include...
Pelvic Pain (in Women and Men)
There are numerous causes of pelvic pain in women and men. Causes of pelvic pain in women and men include: Pelvic pain...
HPV (Human Papillomavirus Infection)
HPVs or human papillomaviruses are a group of viral infections of the skin and mucous membranes. Certain high-risk types of HPV...
HIV vs. AIDS
Human immunodeficiency virus causes HIV infection. Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) is a condition that results after...
Spotting vs. Period (Differences between Symptoms and Signs)
Menstruation (a female's "period") occurs due to the shedding of the lining of the uterus. Menstrual bleeding lasts about...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STDs) - Experience
What type of STD did you have?Post View 14 Comments
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STDs) - Symptoms
Describe the symptoms you experienced with your STD.Post View 18 Comments
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STDs) - Treatment
What kind of treatment, including medication, was used to treat your STD?Post
STDs in Women - HPVs and Genital Warts
How did you discover you had HPV or genital warts? Please share your experience.Post
Local ResourcesFind a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Pap Smear
- Barrier Methods of Birth Control
- IUD (Intrauterine Device for Birth Control)
- Hormonal Methods of Birth Control
- Natural Birth Control
- Contraceptive Measures after Unprotected Sex
- Birth Control: Surgical Sterilization
- Douching (Vaginal Douche)
- Gardasil HPV Vaccine
- Pelvic Exam
- HIV Testing
- HPV Test
- STD FAQs
- Genital Herpes FAQs
- Infidelity FAQs
- Puberty In Girls FAQs
- How Long After You Get Herpes Do You See an Outbreak?
- Can You Treat Hepatitis B With Aids Drug Lamivudine?
- Does Circumcision Prevent HIV and AIDS?
- HPV Vaccine Recommendations for Girls, Boys, Women, and Men
- Oral Gonorrhea Symptoms
- Birth Control Types
- Genital Herpes Symptoms
- What Is Norwegian Scabies?
- Gonorrhea Treatment Recommendations Update
- Warts--A Common Infectious Disease
- Unprotected Sex Between HIV-Infected Partners: What's the Harm?
- Ask The Experts: Women's Health
Medications & Supplements
- acyclovir ointment - topical, Zovirax
- sildenafil (erectile dysfunction) - oral, Viagra
- acyclovir cream - topical, Zovirax
- valacyclovir - oral, Valtrex
- famciclovir - oral, Famvir
- acyclovir - injection, Zovirax
- tadalafil (erectile dysfunction) - oral, Cialis
- acyclovir - oral, Zovirax
- vardenafil - oral, Levitra
- lamivudine-hbv - oral, Epivir HBV
- amoxicillin (Amoxil, Moxatag, Larotid)
- probenecid, (Benemid - brand no longer available)
- cefprozil, Cefzil
- erythromycin, Ery-Tab, PCE
- famciclovir, Famvir
- cefixime (Suprax)
- penicillin V, (Veetids and Pen-Vee-K have been discontinued)
- azithromycin (Zithromax, Zithromax Z-Pak, Zithromax Tri-Pak, Zmax)
- Valtrex (valacyclovir)
- sulfamethoxazole, Gantanol, Gantanol DS
- tetracycline (Sumycin [Discontinued])
- penicillin G benzathine (Bicillin L-A)
- docosanol - topical, Abreva
- Melissa officinalis (Lemon Balm, balm, Melissa, sweet balm)
- adefovir dipivoxil - oral, Hepsera
- podofilox gel - topical, Condylox
- hepatitis A and hepatitis B (recombinant) vaccine (Twinrix)
- haemophilus b/hepatitis b vaccine - injection, Comvax
- Sage (Salvia officinalis, Sage Leaf, Common Sage, Garden Sage, Black Sage)
- norethindrone (oral - Camila, Errin, Heather, Jencycla, Nor QD, Nora-BE, Ortho Micronor, Incassia)
- hepatitis b vaccine injection (Engerix-B, Recombivax HB)
- Penicillin (Antibiotics)
- podofilox - topical solution, Condylox
- Gardasil (HPV Vaccine)
- metronidazole (Flagyl) Side Effects and Adverse Effects
- Cipro vs. Flagyl (Differences between Side Effects and Uses)
- Amoxicillin vs. Levaquin (Strength and Effectiveness)
Prevention & Wellness
- STDs Hit All-Time High in U.S.
- Gonorrhea Becoming More Resistant to Drugs
- 2 Doses of HPV Shot Enough to Prevent Genital Warts: Study
- Pubic Grooming Tied to Higher STD Rates
- Injections Might Help Prevent Genital Herpes Transmission for Months: Study
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases Hit All-Time High: CDC
- Task Force: Routine Genital Herpes Screening Not Recommended
- Mouse Study Offers Hope for Vaccine Against Chlamydia
- U.S. Cases of Drug-Resistant Gonorrhea Rise Fourfold in One Year
- Antibiotics Overprescribed for Possible STDs: Study
- Another STD Spurs Concern
- Texas Health Officials Report Sexually Transmitted Case of Zika Virus
- Change in 'Pap' Test Rules Linked to Drop in STD Testing
- Syphilis on the Rise Among Gay, Bisexual Men: CDC
- HPV Vaccination Rates Lowest in States With Highest Cervical Cancer Rates: Study
- Multiple Drug Use Raises Infection Risk for 'Swinging' Couples
- Nearly 5 Percent of Young U.S. Women Have Chlamydia: CDC
- Screen Women for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Experts Say
- Behavioral Counseling Urged for Teens, Young Adults at Risk for STDs
- More STD Screening on Horizon for Women?
- Counseling With HIV Testing May Not Help Prevent Future STDs
- Young Homeless People With Friends at Lower Risk for STDs: Study
- New Treatments Show Promise Against Drug-Resistant Gonorrhea
- Women May Have Natural Defense Against Common STD
- Bill Gates's $100,000 Condom Challenge
- Millions of Americans Have an STD: Report
- Is 'Untreatable' Gonorrhea On the Way?
- New Vaccine Strategy May Fight Genital Herpes, Mouse Study Suggests
- Social Media Could Boost Condom Use, Study Suggests
- Treated Vaginal Ring Prevents HIV in Monkeys
- Too Few Girls Get HPV Vaccine Against Cancer: CDC
- Gonorrhea Resistant to All But One Antibiotic: CDC
- Booze, Energy Drinks, Casual Sex Combo Common in College: Study
- Unsafe Sex Common When Partner Cheats: Study
- Antibiotic-Resistant Gonorrhea Spreading: WHO
- Taking Anti-HIV Meds Prior to Exposure May Help Prevent Infection
- Women Exposed to Violence Might Have More Risky Sex
- FDA Seems to Back Pill to Help Prevent HIV
- HPV Cancer Hits 8,000 Men, 18,000 Women a Year
- Sex Ed Becoming Less Prevalent in Grades 6-12
- HPV Vaccine May Help Women With Cervical Conditions
- Few Sexually Active Women Get Chlamydia Test
- Health Highlights: March 6, 2012
- College Women's Condom Use Falls in Freshman Year
- Condom Knowledge Not Common Knowledge
- Experts Warn of Antibiotic-Resistant Gonorrhea
- Sex and the Elderly: STD Risk Often Ignored
- More Americans Practicing Safe Sex, CDC Reports
- Herpes Drugs Don't Stop Herpes Spread
- Hopeful Genital Herpes Vaccine Misses the Mark
- Columbus Voyage Tied to Syphilis Spread?
- Study: HPV Vaccine Doesn't Encourage Risky Sexual Activity
- 19 Million New STD Infections Reported Annually, CDC Says
- Chlamydia Tops STDs Reported to CDC
- STD Trichomonas May Be More Common Than Thought
- CDC: Untreatable Gonorrhea a Possibility
- Late Doses of HPV Vaccine May Still Be Effective
- Genital Herpes' Silent Spread
- Half of Men Have Genital HPV
- How to Use Pills to Prevent HIV
- Michael Douglas: Throat Cancer Survivor
- Male Circumcision Cuts Women's Cervical Cancer Risk
- Youths With STDs May Not Admit They Had Sex
- Gardasil Approved for Anal Cancer Prevention
- U.S. Gonorrhea Rate Drops; Chlamydia, Syphilis Up
- 4 Things You Didn't Know About Oral Sex
- Happy, Healthy, Valentine!
- Syphilis Symptoms in Adults
- Safe Sex for Grown-Ups
- Birth Control Myths
- Virtual Sex
- Medical Myths Debunked
- STD: Get the STD Picture
- Condom Quiz: How Much Do You Know?
- Gynecological Disorders - Research
- AIDS & HIV...Forgotten, Not Gone from the World!
- AIDS & HIV...Maybe Forgotten, Not Gone from the USA!
- Sexual Infections with Depo Provera?
- Genital Herpes - On The Rise!
- STI (Sexually Transmitted Infections) Awareness
- HIV/AIDS - Myth versus Reality
- Syphilis - P&S?
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter