Patient Comments: Sepsis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a sepsis infection?

Comment from: Chris, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I was simply not feeling very well on a Sunday. No big deal, just tired and groggy. I lay down in the bed to sleep it off. At some point, I needed to go to the bathroom so I got up, and the next conscious moment I had was in the back of an ambulance halfway to the hospital. I was out cold before I hit the floor. Apparently emergency medical technicians and 911 advice administered CPR and fluids. I had 3 broken ribs from the CPR. I spent 3 days in critical care unit with fluid and antibiotic IVs in both arms. I have only fleeting snippet-like memories of my time in the hospital. The source of the sepsis infection was a urinary tract infection that I didn't even know I had. My ribs healed in 6 weeks but some residual infections in my left pelvis and femur remains to this day, and it has compromised my sciatic nerve to my hip and knee. I can't walk due to quadriceps and hamstring dysfunction and severe pain. I do think I am getting better and will recover eventually but is going on 4 months of constant pain now.

Comment from: losbanosmonkey, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 16

My father last year had sepsis. I'm pretty sure he got it from picking up cat turds with his bare hands. I don't know why he did that. He developed flu-like symptoms and I believe a headache. They couldn't identify it at one hospital so he was transferred to another. He lost a lot of weight with his sepsis and was talking crazy (asking me to get him a knife) because he had to be restrained to the hospital bed. They didn't know what to do with him at first. After my mom raised hell on the phone I went to visit him and there were like 20 personnel watching over him. It turns out the thing that saved his life was a blood transfusion.

Comment from: Xoli, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I had a terrible headache and shivering. I went to the hospital and my temperature was 39 degrees and my blood pressure was very low. They told me that I had sepsis and that worries me. They have given me some antibiotics but I am still not sure what was causing that. I still need to know what cause this sepsis.

Comment from: helosthebattle, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 01

Last month my dad got sick after a few trips. He looked like he had the flu. I know he had chills and later had a hard time breathing and it felt like stomach flu stuff. When he went to the emergency room (ER) they diagnosed him to be in septic shock. It happened so fast. And when I last saw him up and around he wasn't super sick. But when he was in the ER it went from bad to a nightmare. His small intestines had an obstruction. Fatty tissue caused a blockage. Then it was like a domino effect; kidneys, lungs, ventilator, and his blood pressure dropped so low. He was maxed on blood pressure medicines. Then his heart rate was super high. We'd get small things of hope. Then something else hit. With liquid in his lungs he was transferred to a better hospital. There the surgeons found C. difficile in his bowels. Part of it was dying and they removed 120 cm of small intestines. Then his colon went and they removed that. Then his heart; he flat lined 5 times, so they put a pacemaker in. He kept making it through these miracles. Doctors thought he was amazing. Then he got sick again. His small intestines had a hole and they removed more. The man had 15 surgeries. His lungs gave him more trouble and he ended up back on the ventilator after getting off it. Then he started bleeding. That would be it. They tried to save him. He went smiling. All I know is sepsis took my dad at 59.

Sepsis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood poisoning.
Sepsis - Causes Question: What caused your sepsis?
Sepsis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your sepsis?