Patient Comments: Sepsis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a sepsis infection? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Joy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I have pins and needles, headaches, weakness, tiredness, sore throat, cough, and a hard time breathing. This is the second time for sepsis infection in two months. I have never been this sick. I am a 56 year old female.

Comment from: Rob, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I developed a sepsis infection thanks to a broken bile duct stent. I was constipated for too long and finally went to the emergency room. I remember being in the ICU and thought nothing of it. I've had many hospital stays since Afghanistan three years ago. Then I slipped into a reality of my own creation. I remember everything. I pulled bits and pieces of reality into my delusion. After two weeks on life support, I spent ten days in critical care before going to a medical rehabilitation to learn to stand/walk/care for myself. I lost 30 lb. and a lot of muscle mass. In critical care I was still having hallucinations and wasn't sure of where I was. I finally came back to reality thanks to my former wife and still best friend. I interrogated her daily until I finally figured out where I was and what happened. I've been home for a week and can walk, but am still very weak. I'm young, so the prognosis is good.

Comment from: Chris, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I was simply not feeling very well on a Sunday. No big deal, just tired and groggy. I lay down in the bed to sleep it off. At some point, I needed to go to the bathroom so I got up, and the next conscious moment I had was in the back of an ambulance halfway to the hospital. I was out cold before I hit the floor. Apparently emergency medical technicians and 911 advice administered CPR and fluids. I had 3 broken ribs from the CPR. I spent 3 days in critical care unit with fluid and antibiotic IVs in both arms. I have only fleeting snippet-like memories of my time in the hospital. The source of the sepsis infection was a urinary tract infection that I didn't even know I had. My ribs healed in 6 weeks but some residual infections in my left pelvis and femur remains to this day, and it has compromised my sciatic nerve to my hip and knee. I can't walk due to quadriceps and hamstring dysfunction and severe pain. I do think I am getting better and will recover eventually but is going on 4 months of constant pain now.

Comment from: losbanosmonkey, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 16

My father last year had sepsis. I'm pretty sure he got it from picking up cat turds with his bare hands. I don't know why he did that. He developed flu-like symptoms and I believe a headache. They couldn't identify it at one hospital so he was transferred to another. He lost a lot of weight with his sepsis and was talking crazy (asking me to get him a knife) because he had to be restrained to the hospital bed. They didn't know what to do with him at first. After my mom raised hell on the phone I went to visit him and there were like 20 personnel watching over him. It turns out the thing that saved his life was a blood transfusion.

Comment from: Xoli, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I had a terrible headache and shivering. I went to the hospital and my temperature was 39 degrees and my blood pressure was very low. They told me that I had sepsis and that worries me. They have given me some antibiotics but I am still not sure what was causing that. I still need to know what cause this sepsis.

Comment from: Sian, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I got run over crossing a road, by a motorbike at 20 something mph, I was very lucky to only have some bad cuts and whiplash. I got taken to hospital in an ambulance where I was assessed but my cuts were not cleaned at all in Accident and Emergency (A and E). I cleaned them when it wasn't too painful to do so, with antiseptics. However, a few days later I began getting a strange headache and woke up with a rash on my chest. All my symptoms became worse within the space of one day. I had a rash spreading all over my body, headache, and felt extremely drowsy, my heart rate was high as was my body temperature yet I was very cold. I went to the general physician who told me to go to A and E with suspected meningitis. I was waiting for about 2 hours to be seen and in that time I thought I was going to pass out. When I was seen, doctors became worried and I was pumped up with intravenous fluids and very strong antibiotics. This continued until the morning/mid-day and I fully believe they saved my life. I was never told what was wrong with me for sure, possibly sepsis, possibly viral meningitis (the antibiotics got rid of the infection so a lumbar puncture was not necessary); I'm so lucky.

Comment from: Illness sucksr, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

After a bad case of sepsis from a urinary tract infection, I have had a terrible taste. Nothing smells the same. Coffee which I always loved the smell of, stinks.

Comment from: helosthebattle, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 01

Last month my dad got sick after a few trips. He looked like he had the flu. I know he had chills and later had a hard time breathing and it felt like stomach flu stuff. When he went to the emergency room (ER) they diagnosed him to be in septic shock. It happened so fast. And when I last saw him up and around he wasn't super sick. But when he was in the ER it went from bad to a nightmare. His small intestines had an obstruction. Fatty tissue caused a blockage. Then it was like a domino effect; kidneys, lungs, ventilator, and his blood pressure dropped so low. He was maxed on blood pressure medicines. Then his heart rate was super high. We'd get small things of hope. Then something else hit. With liquid in his lungs he was transferred to a better hospital. There the surgeons found C. difficile in his bowels. Part of it was dying and they removed 120 cm of small intestines. Then his colon went and they removed that. Then his heart; he flat lined 5 times, so they put a pacemaker in. He kept making it through these miracles. Doctors thought he was amazing. Then he got sick again. His small intestines had a hole and they removed more. The man had 15 surgeries. His lungs gave him more trouble and he ended up back on the ventilator after getting off it. Then he started bleeding. That would be it. They tried to save him. He went smiling. All I know is sepsis took my dad at 59.

Comment from: dental sepsis, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

Two years ago I started experiencing a rash that consisted of small red boils all over my body. I went to several doctors who did not diagnose the rash. The cause was not ever pin-pointed or diagnosed, until I noticed that I have a re-occurring dental issue with an infected gum line due to faulty dental fillings. I continually told countless dentists and emergency room doctors that I had a bad tooth and they continued to perform faulty dental filling replacements. I finally saw a dermatologist who has given me powerful month long courses of antibiotics to tide me over until I can visit a dentist. I may have to extract the molar as I cannot go through any faulty dental work any longer. My dermatologist could only agree that this was a form of CA-MRSA without running any culture or blood tests for dental sepsis.

Comment from: bign, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

My sepsis symptoms were fever and kidney failure. My white blood cell count was 38,000 and I had extreme swelling of colon.

Comment from: sunshine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had fever, pain in spine, headache, body aches, pain and weakness with a sepsis infection. I had a painful sore on finger that looked like dots that were pus filled, redness and very sore around the area, eyes ache, streaks of redness in my hand and going down my arm and in my veins. I was very tired/fatigued.

Comment from: jean, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 13

My partner of eight years, who I loved with all my heart, was not in the best of health. I was her caregiver and to cut a long story short, 3 years ago she had a new hip which was very successful. Twelve months later she had post vaginal bleeding which was spits and spots. After further tests and investigations they found she has a couple of polyps in the womb, which were cut out, and she was sent home the same day. Eleven months later she had the same symptoms of vaginal bleeding after scans and tests again, they found more polyps, and a cyst on the left side of the womb. They cut out the polyps again but left the cyst in. In the meantime she had bouts of sickness and she was quite ill. We had to take her to the surgery to see the doctor, who quite confidently said she had a water infection, but already had been diagnosed with lung disease from 40 years of smoking. So she was quite breathless and on a puffer. Two days after taking her antibiotics for her water infection she was ill again and being sick all night, the following day the sickness had stopped but she felt very rough and tired. The following night she started shivering although she was burning hot with a temperature. So at 6 am I had to phone for an ambulance, who took her into hospital on blues and twos. We arrived at hospital at 6:45 am and all doctors told me they were certain she was very ill. At 9 am she died and my life was devastated. They told me she died from sepsis, and a water infection, and lung infection. I am convinced that cyst gave her the blood poisoning and her death could have been prevented.

Comment from: badassbiker, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

My sepsis was started by an E. coli bladder infection that was antibiotic resistant. My experience with sepsis started on a Saturday afternoon when I started getting body aches followed by chills and a high fever. I thought I got the flu. I went home, took Tylenol, some OTC flu medicine and went to bed. The flu like symptoms continued until Tuesday when I began to feel a little better. Late Wednesday afternoon I got a call from my primary care physician telling me to stop the antibiotics I was on for my urinary tract infection (which was the second one prescribed) and pick up a new antibiotic that was just called in for me. I was unable to make it to the pharmacy that evening. After dinner I felt very tired and a little achy. I thought I overdid it after such a bad flu. Thursday I woke up to go to work but was achy and moving very slow. By 9 am I was back in bed with a 101.4 fever, still thinking I had the flu. Throughout the day I had chills, every muscle and bone in my body hurt, it felt like I couldn't breathe and I was experiencing severe abdominal pain as though being stabbed by daggers. I couldn't stand up from being both weak and dizzy. As the day progressed the fever became higher and was not responding to Tylenol. At 5 pm my roommate took me to the emergency room with a 104.2 temperature. I received multiple bags of IV antibiotics and IV fluids. I was also given several shots of blood thinner, had 2 CT scans, a chest x-ray, untold amounts of blood drawn, several urine tests, a couple of steroid shots.

Comment from: shunt, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I went for a routine prostate biopsy. Twelve hours later I awoke feeling very cold. My feet were like blocks of ice and I started to shiver a little. Within 5 minutes the shivering had taken over my body and was continuous; I now understand that I was in what is described as rigor. I was rushed to the hospital where the situation was quickly stabilized and my vital readings like blood pressure, temperature, etc., seemed to have returned to normal. About 3 hours later whilst I was waiting for a bed to be found for me in the hospital my feet once again began to feel very cold and within minutes the rigor had returned but this time more violently. I admit to being in a panic and feeling as if my body was shutting down. My breathing was very difficult and my chest was tightening. The next thing I knew I was in intensive care and being pumped full of antibiotics. Fortunately for me the antibiotics appear to have worked and after 3 days in ICU and another 4 days being monitored I was able to return home. One week later I have returned to work on a part-time business. I am one of the lucky ones I guess, however I have since heard directly of several similar incidents following on from a prostate biopsy and it does make me wonder about the level of risk involved in such a procedure.

Comment from: Jugh, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had a pancoast tumor (lung cancer) diagnosed in January 2013. I underwent chemo-radiotherapy in the spring of that year with a PET scan in July that showed no cancer left. I was to have surgery to remove the top of my right lung and the dead tumor as soon as I had recovered from the treatment. I woke up one day with the most terrible pain in my ribs on the left side, and feeling freezing cold but sweating. I then started the rigors, this went on for a few days. I was admitted to the hospital and my blood pressure was 65 over 50. I had never felt so ill even through all the cancer treatment, thank goodness they started me on IV metronidazole straight away before they even had any blood cultures back or test results. They said that sepsis was living in the dead tumor. I stayed on metronidazole until I had the surgery in October 2013. Every time I came off it the symptoms would start to return. As soon as they removed the tumor I was fine, I would never want to experience this again.

Comment from: butterfly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I survived a severe septic shock in September 2013. I originally had vomiting, abdominal pain, temperature, rash, headache, and stiff joints. I was in resuscitation for 12 hours then sent to intensive therapy unit (ITU) where I was put on life support for 7 weeks and needed 8 lots of dialysis, blood and platelet transfusions and medicines to keep my heart going. My family were told I probably wouldn"t survive. But here I am 7 months on and finally getting better.

Comment from: Sara, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 17

My 6 year old daughter was in the emergency department 5 days ago with extreme stomach pain and fever. The doctors never officially diagnosed her with sepsis but my nurse friends all agree that she had sepsis. Heart rate was 150-180, CRP was 17, pulse ox was 87-90, blood pressure was 80/34, respiration rate was a whopping 84, blood sugar was sky high per the doctor, potassium was 2.5, and her WBC count was a whopping 33,000. Her temperature was 103.4. She was gray, even her lips were gray, she was weak, and my normally cuddly daughter did not want me anywhere near her. They transported her via ambulance to the only children"s hospital in the area because of suspected appendicitis and started IV Rocephin right away. First chest x-ray was clear then 2 days later they did another (after ruling out the appendicitis) and they then told us they suspected pneumonia. She got 4 doses of IV Rocephin and just finished a round of Zithromax. I have never been so scared in my life!

Comment from: PennyM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I woke up with backache and sore joints. The next day the headache started, the worst imaginable. I felt weak, exhausted, and very ill. I was unable to sleep, hallucinating, with a temperature of 41 deg Celsius. Then I developed rigors, followed by me sweating profusely. This carried on for a week before I went to the doctor. As I have no Medical Aid (I live in South Africa) I did not go to hospital as the private hospitals cost thousands of Rand upfront. My WBC was 300. I was put on 2 strong antibiotics, which took 2 days to start working. The sepsis was caused by an abscess on my ovary. I am recovering, but am suffering memory problems, hair loss and bad skin breakouts.

Comment from: Survivor2013, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I survived sepsis on December 2013. It all started with a urinary tract infection (UTI). I had fever, chills, shortness of breath, no energy and rashes on my legs. I was in ICU for a week. I had kidney failure and went on dialysis twice. My doctors saved my life.

Comment from: Kona, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

My barefoot broke through a rotting log and large splinters went through my toe webs and out near my ankle. I had surgery but then the infections started, looked like a melting leprosy, skin bubbled and oozed and started fusing my toes together. My body would not respond to two types of antibiotics, this went on for a month and then I realized nothing medical science could do for my condition. On the second blood test, sepsis was diagnosed, I believe it was called micro-bacterium, talk of being put in quarantine at the hospital and possible foot amputation. Oh no, from here on in I elevated my foot in the TV room and I sat in my chair for months. Some of my symptoms were, foot and hands felt like raw throbbing meat with no skin, then my feet started feeling like tinfoil inside with cockroaches running around, horrific feeling lasted for months, body was cold, exhausted and I slept a great deal. Swelling on my foot started reducing by the 3rd month and I started limping around and feeling much better. It is now the 6th month since my foot injury and this week"s blood test reveals that I am now pre-diabetic, more than likely because of the infection and lack of exercise. No one in my family has diabetes and I"m not a sugar eater. Hopefully my foot will heal in timeā€¦ if not, at least I"m feeling much better.

Comment from: motherofmajor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

My sepsis infection was in 2004, the result of a dog bite. Initial symptoms were headache and nausea, mild diarrhea, and grey-blue mottling on my hand and torso. The symptoms came on fast, and I was in septic shock exactly 72 hours after the bite.

Comment from: Cyndi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had seizures, low blood pressure, high heart rate, I warned my medical staff that I had more than just a bladder infection. A kidney stone was blocking my bladder, causing sepsis. Emergency surgery to remove the stone and insert a shunt was performed without antiseptic (due to the low blood pressure), and I survived.

Comment from: umullde, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I experienced low grade fever, rapid heart rate, rapid respiration, dizziness, nausea and chills. I thought I had a bad 24 hour bug. I hardly noticed the light pink spot about the size of an orange on my lower leg.

Comment from: 23yearold, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I was away on vacation and I developed chills and fever on a Saturday morning. I vomited on Sunday, thought it was viral and Monday I continued to take Tylenol and felt ok. Tuesday night chills were back with a high fever and I had cramps in my abdomen lower left side. Wednesday I went to the hospital and heart rate was 150 and WBC 20,000. I had 104 fever, difficulty urinating, severe pains in the abdomen. CAT scan was negative, ultrasound negative and urine came back positive for UTI (urinary tract infection) although I am told that it was not that bad. I was placed in ICU given 8 bags of fluids plus IV antibiotics. I spent 5 days in hospital on IV after which blood and urine cultures came back negative. They do not know what caused the sepsis. They are assuming that it was viral then turned bacterial.

Comment from: Mel, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My symptoms are - absolutely freezing cold, shivering, rigors, convulsions, temperature 40 deg, extremely low blood pressure, rash, severe headache and back pain. I am coughing up blood and also have breathlessness.

Comment from: Debbie, 55-64 Female Published: March 15

I have a cyst on the middle of my back. It is unsightly and tender. It has been drained twice, and is still there.

Comment from: anamay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

He had trouble catching breath and vomiting. It was bilateral metapneumovirus sepsis and due to the above, he developed acute hypercarbic/hypoxic respiratory failure, toxic encephalopathy, hypertension, dehydration, and hyponatremia. He is diabetic mellitus type 2 and a tobacco abuser. He was sent home with oxygen and nebulizer machine and waiting to see lung doctor. He was hospitalized on March 22, was in ICU for 2 days and hasn't gone back to work; says he gets dizzy when he stands.

Comment from: molly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I got severe sepsis from a kidney stone. Perhaps this could be why I have fibromyalgia symptoms, with swelling and very sore joints, sore skin, etc.

Comment from: sandie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 27

Three years ago I had foot surgery and the wound got infected. Next year I had more foot surgery by the same doctor. Then a year later I had my knee scraped and then December last year I had the knee replaced. Nothing would heel. Looking at report when I had 58 staples out I found out they said I had SIRS (systemic inflammatory response syndrome).

Comment from: 10drxtc, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I got really dizzy and was shivering in my room like it was 20 degrees outside. Then while trying to sleep (and waking every 45-60 minutes) I started sweating profusely and had to open the window. I was also extremely thirsty and had a pretty bad headache.

Comment from: kcirnev, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I got a sepsis infection during breast reconstruction following a double mastectomy. I had four surgeries in three days trying to get the relocated tissue to stay viable. I developed pneumonia and had renal failure. I never was told what happened with my blood pressure. I was conscious only for very brief periods the first of my two weeks in the intensive care unit (ICU). My doctor said I wouldn't have made it had I not been in a large hospital that had lots of resources immediately available. It took a few months for blood work to show normal results. I'm in generally good health now, although the breast reconstruction was a total failure.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I began to feel ill at 3pm Saturday with vomiting and diarrhea. Also with a headache no fever or other syptoms. I went to the hospital and went into septis shock my blood pressure was 50/33. I was rushed into intensive care and given medication to raise my blood pressure and given 3 IV antibiotics. My lungs started to fill with fluid so my sats where at 85%.i was intensive care for 4 days when the blood culture came back I was given the right antibiotic for the bacteria. They did every test in the hospital to find the infection but couldn't find it. I was on iv antibiotics for 10 days and in the hospital for 2 weeks. I was a systematic which means I didn't have the usual symptoms for sepsis. I am lucky to be alive as if I didn't get to the hospital when I did my blood pressure dropped so fast I wouldn't have mad it.

Comment from: Gttrambler, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

My pain started with a sharp pain in my shoulder collar bone area on February 17, 2011 at 6 am. I am 56 year old and in very good health. By 12 noon I could not move my shoulder. I thought it was a rotator cuff. Pain was awesome by 12 noon on same day. I went to the emergency room next day they said tendonitis. By Tuesday I could not even walk. My wife put me in hospital on wednesday and they transferred me to bigger hospital by ambulance next day. Still not knowing what was wrong by Thursday it was determined I had sepsis in my collar bone. They cut the end of my collarbone off and I got one per cent better each day. Six months later I am doing great. I took IV antibiotics for 60 days. I am on oral antibiotics for another 60 days. I am thankful to be here.

Comment from: Chocolate_k46, 13-18 (Patient) Published: January 10

I am 15 years old and got septicemia 4 months ago after a knee arthroscopy. Within two days I had a temperature of 40+ my crp level was 239. My parents were told to prepare for the worst, I had 2 emergency procedures to get the sepsis under control but I still went into septic shock with a hemoglobin level of 7 and a resting heart rate of 160. I was in intensive care and I am very lucky to be alive. Since I have had 7 more operations on my knee and I am fighting fit. I have god to thank as I could easily not be alive today and my friend's dad was recently taken from pancreatic cancer. R.I.P. good luck to all of you and sorry to those who have lost loved ones to sepsis.

Comment from: Fionarchie, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: June 15

My triglycerides level is 6.4.

Comment from: Jenniferliz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

With sepsis I had a red line (streak) up my leg.

Comment from: sully, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

My opinion - once a person reaches 60 years of age, the medical profession cares little for your wellbeing. My after effects of sepsis infection are burning knees, sore throat, extremely sore right lung and lethargy. I am due for the removal of my prostate; none of the above factors seem to count.

Comment from: JOrtiz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had a baby and 1 week later I was in ICU with sepsis and E. coli. I believe I contracted the infection because of a dirty catheter that the nurse used to help me urinate.

Comment from: YouGlee, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

I experience severe splitting in my fingers, mostly near the tips. I would have this problem for years thinking it was dry skin. I was diagnosed with sepsis and spent some time in the hospital. My splitting disappeared as did the sepsis infection. I was feeling better for a couple of months but now I believe I am having a relapse as all my sepsis signs are starting, then the splitting of my fingers started out of nowhere.

Comment from: TRICIA, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have fever, chills vomiting and diarrhea.

Comment from: teagmollar, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 20

My mom was a cancer patient with metastasized breast cancer which spread to her liver after 10 years of being in remission and undergoing a double mastectomy and reconstruction on her left breast as well as chemotherapy and radiation. She then started getting chemotherapy again for another year until it caused horrifying mouth sores which had gotten so excruciating, she only consumed Boost and yogurt for three weeks. She was soon after admitted to the hospital after getting driven to the ER for her side effects from her chemo. She had uncontrollable diarrhea and vomiting, a fluctuating temperature of 102, little to no energy, a UTI and yeast infection, confusion, swollen feet, hands, ankles and abdomen, which spread to her arms hands and neck once the sepsis got worse, sores on her inner thighs and mouth sores which bled profusely and progressively got worse and worse. She went from having little energy to not being able to lift her limbs without help, not being able to keep her eyes open to eat and to talk to family/friends/nurses/doctors, then she was to the point where she was so confused that she was repeatedly counting numbers for no reason and out of the blue, and was yelling "10" for her pain level when anyone would touch her. At this point after she was given IV fluids, multiple different antibiotics (which did not work due to her liver failure), her mouth sores had gotten so excruciating that when anyone would try to clean her mouth to get blood clots out, she would scream bloody murder. The sepsis had eventually led to the failure of her liver and kidneys. A week of being in the hospital, we decided it was best to put her on morphine for the excruciating pain she was in and accepted she wasn't going to get better and she passed 24 hours later peacefully of respiratory failure.

Comment from: Akista, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 06

My friend at the age of 37 had a razor burn turn into the flesh-eating disease. Currently, she's in a hospital. She's had her right implant removed and her leg amputated. Her symptoms were a high fever for 24 hours and extreme pain under her arm. She's been fighting for her life for a few weeks now. She's doing amazingly well, but this sickness is very aggressive with an extremely fast onset. Take every precaution you can.

Comment from: simply2cute, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

For two weeks I felt sick. I threw up, had bad stomach cramps, and a UTI, but still went to work. I knew something was wrong when I woke up at my office face-down. I had a fever, was sweating, lacked energy, had blurry vision, difficulty concentrating, and pain in my joints. When I passed out a second time, I went to the hospital and was admitted to the ICU. I had a high fever, three IVs, and cold rags. I still don't feel normal. They couldn't tell me exactly what I had—just that it was a blood infection.

Comment from: rosey442, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

It started out with me having pain in my legs on a Fri. evening. By Sunday evening I was dropping things as well. I also had a red place on the back of my leg. By Monday morning, I was unresponsive to my son who claimed I had been talking to my deceased parents which I kept asking him where they went. He called 911. After initial ER exam, I was admitted and in ICU. I remained confused for a couple of days. I was running a fever of 108. I never knew it could go that high and live. I was placed on 3 different IV antibiotics. I have no memories of Mon. morning on, just what family told me. I stayed in ICU 3 days and then was transferred to a regular room. I was discharged after 11 days and was on IV antibiotics for another 10 days. It has been a little over a month since I came home from the hospital. I had had cellulitis in my which has finally now healed and which the doctors think caused the sepsis. I still cannot believe how close I came to death. I think that being 54 and in decent health is what saved me.

Comment from: brehroberts, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

My husband had a swollen knee, high temperature, and just felt sick. His doctor took a syringe of very dark blood from his knee. He sent him directly to the outpatient department as he thought there was a blood clot in his leg. A blood sample was taken and analyzed. He had to wait about 4 hours for it to culture (grow). The hospital took it seriously and were very concerned. They would not let him leave. The sample showed a cocci. He had to stay in the hospital for 5 days to receive intravenous antibiotics. He made a full recovery. We have no idea how he got th infection, he had no cuts or bites. It made me realize that this can soon escalate to a serious life threatening condition.

Comment from: deb, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 24

My husband ran a fever off and on for 11 days. He had been having chills-whole body shaking cold. He went to his doctor twice. He became dizzy and fell. My husband was 56 years old with NASH disease, his diabetes attacked his liver causing cirrhosis. The day he fell, I took him to the ER. Blood cultures found he had a fungal infection in his blood. Blood cultures take 3 days to even get preliminary results. It had already caused too much more damage to his liver, kidneys started failing. 5 days after we got to the ER, he passed away.

Comment from: Bky111, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 17

My mom who is 63 years old has been diagnosed with sepsis. She has kidney failure due to this and also her lungs are effected due to Pnuemonia.

Comment from: luckym, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

On Wednesday morning I had a mild pain in my lower back. It started at 7:15 am and by 10 am I was in severe pain. I drove myself the 20 minutes to the ER and by then I had a fever of 100.7. Soon the doctors determined that I had a kidney infection and later discovered that I was septic too. I had a low blood pressure of 75/50 and a pulse rate of 100-110. Normally I have high blood pressure so I was amazed at how low it can go. I spent 3 days in the ICU and 1 day in a regular hospital room before being released. During that time I ran high fevers 3 times and each time I had to be iced down to bring the fever under control. I also received IV fluids and 3 antibiotics through the IV during the first 3 days. It is now a week later and I am feeling better, but only because I am only 45 and healthy with very good doctors.

Comment from: Tina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

My sepsis infection was believed to have occurred because of a urinary tract infection that went undiagnosed. I had a fever, severe chills to extremely hot, and generally not feeling well.

Comment from: Rudolph, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 16

My husband was diagnosed with E. coli sepsis after a prostate biopsy. Prior to this he was very healthy with no ill-health. He displayed symptoms of high fever and rigors.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 02

My husband was diagnosed and treated for septicemia. He was confused, had a temperature, and his breathing and heartbeat were very rapid. His white blood count was 22. They treated him with IV fluids and antibiotics, but they did not do a blood culture, which is ER 101, so we will never know which bacteria was responsible. We do not know what caused it, although there are two possibilities. He had a bad tooth and received contrast dye for an MRI in the week before. He is better now after being in the hospital for five days. He was in very good health before with no underlying problems.

Comment from: ted0504, 75 or over Female Published: March 20

My mother was hospitalized three different times with chronic diarrhea. They could never find out what was causing this problem and she ended up with a sepsis infection. She was moved to ICU due to a drop in her blood pressure. She passed away within 24 hours. She was 78 years old, and before this happened she lead a very healthy and productive life.

Comment from: kenny76, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I started with a fever and a temperature of 40+ then I noticed I had a spot on my buttock the day after, then the day after that when I woke up my full bum cheek was swollen and the size of 20 cms. I knew then there was something wrong as it being a Sunday I couldn't do anything, so on Monday I went to doctors and he sent me straight to the hospital to have surgery as I had an abscess and the toxins had gone into my blood stream and caused sepsis I was a horrible felling knowing you was dying because of the stage it was at , but lucky the doctors and nurses acted quickly and saved my life.

Comment from: dinky, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 13

My husband was diagnosed with it previously. Upon the arrival of the ambulance his temp was 38.9, he was struggling to breath, very feverish. He did have a cough 3-4 days earlier but also has a weak immune system.

Comment from: bodiecharles, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was very confused. I had a high fever. I was not aware of my surroundings or family. I had a seizure and was in ICU for 2 1/2 weeks. I am very lucky to be alive. It started with a UTI and progressed to sepsis. I hope to God I don't ever have it happen again. I run scared every time I get not feeling well. I did not feel sick until I became confused and not aware of what was happening.

Comment from: mj, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I got severe sepsis about two weeks after an abscessed tooth extraction that was not diagnosed until about 5 months later. I had high WBC, monocytes, lymphocytes, ketones, and cortisol. Also hyperventilation, fever, chills, vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, low blood pressure, anemia, heart problems, then low hemotocrits, tight chest feeling, systemic inflammatory response syndrome, tremors, shock. I also felt like I was going to have a stroke. I have never fully recovered and although I was born with SVCAH, it feels as though I have symptoms of Addison's disease now due to not being treated.

Comment from: Nikita, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

With sepsis infection, I had a high fever (105 degrees), severe chills, confusion, and general malaise. The cause was a kidney stone was lodged in ureter and subsequently block the ureter.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter