Patient Comments: Sepsis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your sepsis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: iamme, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I had sepsis when I was 19. I was pregnant and got the awful news that I'd lost my baby at 27 weeks. Doctors took me to labor ward and induced labor for a standard natural birth. I felt physically fine but about an hour into labor things started to go horribly wrong. First I started vomiting nonstop then I don't remember anything for the next two weeks but my mother tells me my heart started to race and I no longer knew where I was. Within minutes I'd gone from feeling fine to doctors clearing the room and running with me to the theater for an emergency C-section. I woke up in ICU 15 days later being told I wasn't just waking up after a C-section but had spent 15 days fighting for my life on full life support. Somehow I had contracted septicemia though I hadn't felt sick. Within minutes of feeling sick my condition had rapidly deteriorated to almost dying. Purple sores had covered my face and chest, my kidneys had shut down and doctors weren't holding out much hope for my survival. The only thing on my side was that my brain was unaffected. Recovering took months. I felt like I had been on dialysis forever and I was never going to leave hospital.

Comment from: Jenniferliz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

A friend that was a care giver used a home remedy on me and wrapped raw bacon on the entire area of sepsis from both points of the red streak (end to end) and wrapped it in cloth. When I received treatment at the hospital I was prescribed cephalexin.

Comment from: RacerGirlSan13, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had 3 bouts with sepsis. I flat lined/died 3 times. I shouldn't be here and am thankful every day that I am. I was down to 97 pounds, I had no clue I had it. I got up to go to work, got in the shower, by the time I got out I couldn't stand straight up and had a killer pain in my belly. I drove to the emergency room. I don't remember driving, all I know is I woke up 2 weeks later with a doctor looking at me. I had IV's, pick lines, renal shutdown, blood clots, warfarin forever, more tubes and bags than in my car! I also got MRSA - lovely. I was in the ICU for those 2 weeks, it all stemmed from years of severe malnutrition. I had bariatric surgery which has since been revised, years ago, hence the malnutrition. Nineteen surgeries later I still have some issues where he had to rebuild my side/stomach from a jejunostomy. Please, if you feel anything get it checked out better to be safe than sorry.

Comment from: Paul, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

I got an infection in my hand from a fall, no open wound, so accident and emergency missed the sepsis twice. It was picked up on my second visit to a fracture clinic over a week later. I had 8 operations and two weeks in hospital to save my hand and my life. I will have limited movement in my hand and wrist for the rest of my life.

Comment from: telstar1950, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 20

If you wait until your loved one meets the definitions needed to diagnose sepsis, it is very likely that DIC (disseminated intravascular coagulation) will have presented. If so, say goodbye to your loved one. This is exactly what happened to my 25 year old son.

Comment from: Samantha, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 26

My sister had a burst appendix, the operation went well. After a few day she had bad pains and had to go to hospital. The doctors found out that she does have infection, as a family we are not sure what to do now. She was discharged from the public hospital and asked to go stay home until the infection drained out.

Comment from: rmann1966, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

I woke up on Sunday January 6 2013 with pains in my left side, lower abs. I knew something was wrong, and had my wife take me to the walk in clinic, well they said it wasn't anything. By the time we got home from the ER I was in so much pain, my wife drove me to the Hospital ER, I was immed taken in for testing, at that time I had chest pains as well. I was given a chest xray and was found to have double pneumonia. They found something in my blood that didn't look right, so they had ordered more testing. I was admitted that day and by Tuesday morning, they put me out for 7 days because I was in so much pain. I was diagnosed with double pneumonia along with sepsis. The dr's didn't give my wife much hope for me. They kept telling her that I'm a very sick man. I was in ICU for 7 or 8 days and I was in the hospital for 15 days. At any given time i was on about 6 or 7 IV's. The only time that I had slept was when they had to put me out because of the pain, I left for 7 days straight. After that I would get 1 to 2 hrs a night, that's even with sleeping medication, nothing they gave me made me sleep. I'm very lucky to be here today. I should not have made it out of that hospital. By the time I left the hospital all of the nurses knew who I was. LOL I hope not to have to go thru that again. SEPSIS is very bad, and it drains the life out of you, it drains your family and friends emotionally. The not knowing of what will happen is terrible.

Comment from: don, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

During my first experience with my knee, I was a fire crew supervisor, and we were cleaning vegetation from the roadside. At the beginning of the week I started feeling my left knee getting sore. By Friday I could hardly move it. I went to the ER, where they extracted a couple hundred cc's of fluid from my knee. They took an X-ray and sent me to a specialist, who did surgery. I had about 45 days of rehab. Now, 20 years later, I'm facing the same operation. I was bowling, my shoe stuck to the floor, and I fell. My doctor said I bruised it. Two days later, the pain was quite severe. I went to the ER, where they did X-rays. A specialist ordered an MRI. Now I'm waiting to find out what kind of operation he is planning. Stay tuned.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter