Patient Comments: Sepsis - Causes

What caused your sepsis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Jenniferliz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I got sepsis when I scratched a bug bite that was on my foot.

Comment from: bign, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

An oral surgery turned infectious and caused my sepsis. I went on the antibiotic Augmentin for 20 days and it wiped all bacteria from my gut the bad ones grew back faster.

Comment from: deebird61, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 14

My 24 year old son died from sepsis. He had been on the ventilator due to muscular dystrophy. Soon after he was admitted, he no longer could have anything in his stomach. He was also on the gastronomy tube. That was the weirdest week for us. But now I know why. He knew he was dying and the disease took control. I miss him ever so much. I'm about ready to go under the same procedure he went under that may have caused his sepsis, so it does worry me.

Comment from: CK, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I developed large watery blisters two weeks after having my spine fused. I went to the emergency room (ER) and they cut one open to culture. No bandages, no antibiotics, and no dressing. Two weeks after that, my family decided that I must have been overdosing on my pain medications, because I was, as they described it, crazy. They took me back to the ER, where I was yelling and cursing about the cats crawling all over me (they didn't exist). My kidneys had shut down and the doctor said I was within hours of death. I went straight to ICU, and then didn't know who my husband was. It was a long healing event. I still think I lost a little something in my brain. I don't know if it was from surgery or the half-baked effort from an inadequate hospital that left a raw, open sore on my foot. I have more blisters now.

Comment from: Margaux, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

While hospitalized for chemotherapy I developed sepsis (Klebsiella pneumoniae, E. coli, Enterococcus faecalis) due to central line contamination resulting from shockingly poor hygiene standards on the part of the nursing staff.

Comment from: Way2sunny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I thought I had the flu. As the day wore on it got worse. My husband checked on me. I was unconscious but still throwing up what little was in there. I don't remember anything until the ICU. Sepsis, pneumonia, urinary tract infection to low blood pressure and a high heart rate. They put an arterial IV in to raise blood pressure and for 5 days I was in ICU. Two weeks later I am still weak and nauseous. Sometimes I feel like this is never going to end.

Comment from: dottie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I had a denture implant in 2008, and it got infected. Part of my implant fell out and I was hooked up to antibiotics for 8 hours in the emergency room, with sepsis.

Comment from: dennis, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I have hepatitis C, having been diagnosed almost three years ago and relapsing after 36 week treatment of interferon and ribavirin. I have myalgia that causes constant pain that migrates from one area of the body to another. I spent three days in the hospital with what was diagnosed as pneumonia, was sent home on antibiotics. A week later my wife insisted I return to the emergency room because of elevated heart rate, low blood pressure, low grade temperature (100.6) and poor oxygen saturation (she bought a pulse oximeter for use at home). It was a good thing, it turned out I was in septic shock. The source of the infection turned out to be obstructed bile ducts in the liver, and the thought was that the pneumonia was a secondary infection. I had to be intubated and put on a ventilator so they could perform an ERCP to basically vacuum out the debris from my liver. I spent four days in ICU. My wife saved my life.

Comment from: umullde, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I have no idea what caused it, but I have several possibilities. I'm not diabetic, but am overweight and have problems with water retention in my lower legs. I periodically fight with fungal infections, both yeast infections and athlete's foot. I had an MRI at a local hospital for knee pain a few days prior and was under anesthetic for the procedure. I'm not prone to cellulitis, am currently fighting a raging cellulitis infection in my lower leg which spread very rapidly to my entire leg in less than a day.

Comment from: Kamya Aziz, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 11

For my case, I used to attend to patients in wards together with other people. Due to poor hygiene among some patients especially after surgery, they developed swellings of pus.

Bacterial Infections 101 Pictures Slideshow
Comment from: Adana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

Blood poisoning or sepsis can be brought on by Norwegian scabies also called crusted scabies.

Comment from: Guiseppe, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 10

My sepsis was caused by infection in the gum after tooth extraction.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

Pseudomonas aeruginosa caused my sepsis.

Bacterial Infections 101 Pictures Slideshow