Patient Comments: Sepsis - Causes

What caused your sepsis?

Comment from: Jenniferliz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I got sepsis when I scratched a bug bite that was on my foot.

Comment from: bign, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

An oral surgery turned infectious and caused my sepsis. I went on the antibiotic Augmentin for 20 days and it wiped all bacteria from my gut the bad ones grew back faster.

Comment from: deebird61, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 14

My 24 year old son died from sepsis. He had been on the ventilator due to muscular dystrophy. Soon after he was admitted, he no longer could have anything in his stomach. He was also on the gastronomy tube. That was the weirdest week for us. But now I know why. He knew he was dying and the disease took control. I miss him ever so much. I'm about ready to go under the same procedure he went under that may have caused his sepsis, so it does worry me.

Comment from: CK, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I developed large watery blisters two weeks after having my spine fused. I went to the emergency room (ER) and they cut one open to culture. No bandages, no antibiotics, and no dressing. Two weeks after that, my family decided that I must have been overdosing on my pain medications, because I was, as they described it, crazy. They took me back to the ER, where I was yelling and cursing about the cats crawling all over me (they didn't exist). My kidneys had shut down and the doctor said I was within hours of death. I went straight to ICU, and then didn't know who my husband was. It was a long healing event. I still think I lost a little something in my brain. I don't know if it was from surgery or the half-baked effort from an inadequate hospital that left a raw, open sore on my foot. I have more blisters now.

Comment from: Margaux, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

While hospitalized for chemotherapy I developed sepsis (Klebsiella pneumoniae, E. coli, Enterococcus faecalis) due to central line contamination resulting from shockingly poor hygiene standards on the part of the nursing staff.

Comment from: Way2sunny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I thought I had the flu. As the day wore on it got worse. My husband checked on me. I was unconscious but still throwing up what little was in there. I don't remember anything until the ICU. Sepsis, pneumonia, urinary tract infection to low blood pressure and a high heart rate. They put an arterial IV in to raise blood pressure and for 5 days I was in ICU. Two weeks later I am still weak and nauseous. Sometimes I feel like this is never going to end.

Comment from: dottie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I had a denture implant in 2008, and it got infected. Part of my implant fell out and I was hooked up to antibiotics for 8 hours in the emergency room, with sepsis.

Sepsis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with a sepsis infection?
Sepsis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood poisoning.
Sepsis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your sepsis?