Separation anxiety disorder is a common childhood anxiety disorder that has many causes. Infants, children, older kids and adults can suffer from symptoms of separation anxiety disorder. Common separation anxiety treatment methods include therapy and medications. Factors that contribute to how quickly or successfully a child moves past separation anxiety by preschool age include:
- how well the parent and child reunite,
- the skills the child and adult have at coping with the separation, and
- how well the adult responds to the infant's separation issues.
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Your Child's First Year of Development
What developmental milestones can you expect to see during baby's first year? Find out when babies learn to smile, laugh, crawl,...
What's Your Biggest Fear? Phobias
Learn about phobias such as agoraphobia, claustrophobia, arachnophobia, zoophobia, and more. Discover some of the symptoms and...
Baby's First Year: Month to Month Development Milestones
When do babies learn to crawl? Start teething? Learn about major milestones in your baby's first months. Get tips on how to help...
Top Reasons Children Can't Sleep in Pictures
From snoring and nightmares to sleep apnea and even you, see the bad habits that are keeping your child up all night....
Related Disease Conditions
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes:...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) Symptoms, Causes, Stages, Life Expectancy
COPD or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is a lung condition caused by smoking tobacco, exposure to secondhand smoke, and/or...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Suicide is the process of intentionally ending one's own life. Approximately 1 million people worldwide commit suicide each year,...
Nightmares are dreams that cause high anxiety or terror. Nightmares may be a part of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and...
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
Depression in Children
Childhood depression can interfere with social activities, interests, schoolwork and family life. Symptoms and signs include...
Headaches in Children
Kids get headaches and migraines too. Many adults with headaches started having them as kids, in fact, 20% of adult headache...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Good parenting helps foster empathy, honesty, self-reliance, self-control, kindness, cooperation, and cheerfulness, says...
Phobias are unrelenting fears of activities (social phobias), situations (agoraphobia), and specific items (arachnophobia). There...
Pregnancy Changes and Body Discomforts
Pregnancy can bring challenges like weight gain, stretch marks, varicose veins, heartburn, constipation,...
Bipolar Disorder in Children and Teens
Bipolar disorder, or manic-depressive illness, is a disorder that causes unusual and extreme mood changes. Symptoms of bipolar...
Sleep and Sleep Disorders in Children and Teenagers
Sleep needs in children and teenagers depend on the age of the child. Sleep disorders in children such as: sleep apnea,...
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep)
- fluvoxamine (Luvox and Luvox CR have been discontinued)
- paroxetine, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva
- fluoxetine, Prozac, Sarafem, Prozac Weekly
- alprazolam (Xanax, Xanax XR, Niravam) Anti-Anxiety Drug
- Zoloft (sertraline)
- clonazepam (Klonopin)
- nortriptyline, Pamelor, Aventyl - has been discontinued in the U.S.
- desipramine, Norpramin
- imipramine, Tofranil, Tofranil-PM
- citalopram, Celexa
- Lexapro (escitalopram)
- prochlorperazine (Compazine, Compro)
- clomipramine (Anafranil)
- Antidepressants (Depression Medications)
- vortioxetine (Trintellix - formerly known as Brintellix)
- Ativan vs. Xanax
- Alprazolam vs. Diazepam (Differences between Side Effects and Uses)
- Anxiolytics (for Anxiety) Drug Class Side Effects
- Buspar vs. Zoloft (Differences between Side Effects and Uses)
Prevention & Wellness
- Kate Spade Suffered From Anxiety and Depression, But No Warning Signs of Suicide, Husband Says
- Expecting Twins or Triplets? What You Should Know Before They Arrive
- How to Prepare Your Child for Surgery
- Disaster Aftereffects May Linger for Children
- Health Tip: When Children Wake at Night
- Health Tip: Saying Goodbye to Your Child at Day Care
- Health Tip: Help Ease Separation Anxiety at Night
- Day Care May Help Kids of Depressed Moms
- Cartoons May Ease Anxiety for Kids Facing Surgery
- Health Tip: Coping With Separation Anxiety
- Health Tip: Dealing With Separation Anxiety
- Health Tip: When Kids Have Separation Anxiety