As age advances, sex may not be the same for you or your partner as it was when you were younger. However, sex is not only for the young.
Your body is going through changes as you age, which is inevitable, but embracing change and discovering new ways to experience pleasure can be as amazing and exciting.
What health problems can lead to sexual difficulty in seniors?
- Decreased testosterone levels
- Poor health and stamina associated with age
- Chronic health conditions, such as diabetes, hypertension, obesity, heart disease, or arthritis
- Vaginal dryness
- Hormonal changes (menopause, breast atrophy)
- Bladder or bowel control problems
- Side effects of medications
Mental or emotional issues
7 sex tips for senior citizens
- Talk to your partner
- Communicate with your partner about your thoughts, fears, and desires concerning sex.
- Sharing your needs, desires, and concerns can help you both enjoy sex and intimacy.
- You can still practice other forms of sex if penetrative sex tires you out.
- Take your time
- Arousal is slower than it used to be, so be patient with yourself and your partner.
- Think about your partner’s point of view, which lets you express yourself without hurting feelings.
- Taking bodily changes into account, try different sexual positions that both partners find comfortable and pleasurable.
- Accept the bodily changes and adapt accordingly
- Change the time of day you have sex to a time when you have the most energy.
- Try the morning when you are refreshed from a good night's sleep rather than at the end of a long and tiring day.
- Because it might take longer for you or your partner to get aroused, take more time to set the stage for romance, such as extensive touching or kissing.
- Do not give up on spending quality time together
- Intercourse is not the only way to have a fulfilling sex life. Touching or kissing can be equally rewarding for you and your partner.
- Even if you have health problems or physical disabilities, you can engage in intimate acts and benefit from closeness with your partner.
- Kissing stimulates the brain, revs up the sex drive, and creates a bonding between the couple.
- Take care of yourself
- See a doctor, counselor, or sex therapist if needed
- Your doctor can help manage chronic conditions and medications that may affect your sex life.
- A sex therapist could help you and your partner with specific concerns and come up with ways to meet your needs as a couple.
- If a condition, such as arthritis, makes it hard to enjoy sex, they can suggest new positions that are more comfortable and satisfying for both partners.
- Safe sex is still essential
Benefits of sex for aged people
A good sexual life has the power to:
- Improve mental and physical health: It boosts the immune system, burns calories, lowers blood pressure, helps you relax by releasing endorphins, reduces anxiety-related issues, eases pain, keeps your mind sharp, and may lessen the risk of heart attack and prostate cancer.
- Increase lifespan: A good sex life can add years to your life through its health-improving benefits.
- Strengthen relationships: Sex is an opportunity to express the closeness of your relationship.
- Provide refuge: Sex gives you a chance to escape from the harsh realities of the world.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Mayo Clinic. Senior sex: Tips for older men. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/sexual-health/in-depth/senior-sex/art-20046465
Senior Planet. A Senior’s Guide to Sex Without Intercourse. https://seniorplanet.org/a-seniors-guide-to-sex-without-intercourse/
WebMD. Guide to Sex After 60. https://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/ss/slideshow-guide-to-sex-after-60
HelpGuide. Better Sex as You Age. https://www.helpguide.org/articles/alzheimers-dementia-aging/better-sex-as-you-age.htm
Top Senior Sex: Tips for Senior Citizens Related Articles
Is It Normal to Cramp After Sex?Cramping after sex can occur for a wide variety of reasons and is not always a sign of an underlying medical condition. Learn about potential causes.
Medications Seniors Should Use With CautionJust as your health needs change as you age, so do your reactions to certain medications. Find out what drugs to watch out for in your senior years.
Healthy Aging: Better Sex After 50`It's never too late to improve your sex life. Learn how older adults can overcome common health conditions affecting seniors over 50 such as heart disease, diabetes, and arthritis in order to have a healthy sex life.
Sex & Love QuizRelationships, sex, and love! Could it be that what motivates physical attraction in us may be all in our minds? Take the Sex & Love Quiz to challenge yourself on healthy human sexuality!
Sexual Problems in MenMale sexual dysfunction can be caused by physical or psychological problems. Common sexual problems in men include erectile dysfunction (impotence or ED), premature ejaculation, and loss of libido. Treatment for sexual dysfunction in men may involve medication, hormone therapy, psychological therapy, and the use of mechanical aids.
Sexual Fact or FictionHow much do you know about sexual fact or fiction? Take this quiz to learn myths and truths about what happens in the bedroom.
Sexual Health: 12 Tips for Better SexCan you learn new techniques to breathe better? Healthy breathing helps you maintain the right balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide in your blood. Breathing training and other healthy habits can improve your lung capacity.
Sexual HealthSexual health information including birth control, impotence, herpes, sexually transmitted diseases, staying healthy, women's sexual health concerns, and men's sexual health concerns. Learn about the most common sexual conditions affecting men and women.
Sexual Health: Safe Sex Mistakes to AvoidEveryone makes mistakes. But when it comes to sex, they can be costly. WebMD explores common safe sex slip-ups.
Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)Common sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) in women include gonorrhea, chlamydia, genital herpes, and HPV infection (genital warts). Learn about types, symptoms, and treatment.
What Is the Best Weight Loss Plan for Seniors?Persistent goals and making small adjustments in lifestyle and diet are the best weight loss plans for seniors.
yohimbeYohimbe bark products are herbal supplements promoted for male and female sexual dysfunction, athletic performance, weight loss, as an aphrodisiac, and many other purposes. Common side effects of yohimbe include cardiac conduction disturbances, cardiac failure, high or low blood pressure (hypertension/hypotension), rapid heart rate (tachycardia), anxiety, excitation, irritability, insomnia, headache, dizziness, tremor, paralysis, respiratory depression, and others. Yohimbe is also associated with heart attacks and seizures. Do not use yohimbe if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.