A seizure is the uncontrolled electrical activity in the brain, which may produce a physical convulsion, minor physical signs, thought disturbances, or a combination of symptoms.
The type of symptoms and seizures depend on where the abnormal electrical activity takes place in the brain, what its cause is, and such factors as the patient's age and general state of health.
Seizures can be caused by head injuries, brain tumors, lead poisoning, maldevelopment of the brain, genetic and infectious illnesses, and fevers. In fully half of the patients with seizures, no cause can yet be found.
Related Symptoms & Signs
Other causes of seizures
- Brain Degeneration Diseases
- Genetic Disorders
- Illicit Drugs (Amphetamines, Phencyclidine)
- Infection of Brain (Bacterial, Viral, Parasitic)
- Liver Failure
- Trauma Injury
- Unknown Cause (Idiopathic Seizures)
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Epilepsy & Seizures Quiz: What Causes Seizures?
Do you know the difference between seizures and epilepsy? What are the types of seizures? Take the Epilepsy & Seizures Quiz to...
What Is Epilepsy? Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments
Learn about epilepsy symptoms and treatment for this seizure condition. Discover the definition of epilepsy, how epilepsy is...
Causes of Seizures
Examples of Medications for Seizures
- Banzel (rufinamide)
- carbamazepine, Tegretol, Tegretol XR , Equetro, Carbatrol, Epitol, Teril
- Carnexiv (carbamazepine) Injection
- Depakote (valproic acid) Side Effects, Warnings, and Drug Interactions
- divalproex sodium
- Elepsia XR (levetiracetam)
- Epidiolex (cannabidiol)
- Fludeoxyglucose F 18 Injection
- lamotrigine, Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR
- levetiracetam antiepileptic
- magnesium sulfate
- Nayzilam (midazolam)
- Neurontin (gabapentin) Side Effects, Warnings, and Drug Interactions
- phenytoin (Dilantin)
- Roweepra (levetiracetam)
- Sabril (vigabatrin)
- Seizalam (midazolam) Injection
- Sesquient (fosphenytoin sodium)
- Side Effects of Dilantin (phenytoin)
- Side Effects of Keppra (levetiracetam)
- Side Effects of Klonopin (clonazepam)
- Side Effects of Lamictal (lamotrigine)
- Side Effects of Lyrica (pregabalin)
- Side Effects of Mysoline (primidone)
- Side Effects of Tegretol (carbamazepine)
- Side Effects of Topamax (topiramate)
- Side Effects of Zonegran (zonisamide)
- Sympazan (clobazam)
- Tranxene (clorazepate dipotassium)
- valproic acid, divalproex, Depakote, Depakote Sprinkle, Depakote ER, Depakene, Depacon, Stavzor
- Vigadrone (vigabatrin)
- Vimpat (lacosamide)
- What Are the Side Effects of Antiepileptic Drugs?
- Xcopri (cenobamate)
Brain & Nervous Resources
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter