Secondhand smoke can cause illness and disease in nonsmokers. Some of these conditions include lung cancer, heart disease, respiratory illnesses such as asthma, SIDS, bronchitis, and pneumonia. Learn how you can protect yourself and your family from secondhand smoke exposure in the home environment and workplace.Read more: Secondhand Smoke Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Lung Cancer
Cancer of the lung, like all cancers, results from an abnormality in the body's basic unit of life, the cell. See a picture of...
Picture of Lungs
The lungs are a pair of spongy, air-filled organs located on either side of the chest (thorax). See a picture of the Lungs and...
Effects of Secondhand Smoke: Facts
The effects of secondhand smoke can be hazardous to your health. Secondhand smoke can lead to lung cancer, heart disease, and...
COPD Foods to Boost Your Health - COPD Diet Tips
Boost your energy and combat COPD with these diet tips. Which foods can help patients with COPD? Which foods to avoid for COPD?...
Lung Cancer Symptoms, Stages, Treatment
Learn about lung cancer symptoms and treatments. Get more information on small cell lung cancer, non-small cell lung cancer, and...
What’s Causing Your Indoor Air Pollution?
Do you know what pollutants are threatening your indoor air quality? Learn about exposure to carbon monoxide, radon, pesticides,...
Related Disease Conditions
Asthma is a condition in which hyperreactive airways constrict and result in symptoms like wheezing, coughing, and shortness of...
Cancer Risk Factors
Though it's difficult to say why some people develop cancer while others don't, research shows that certain risk factors increase...
Cervical Cancer (Cancer of the Cervix)
Cervical cancer is cancer of the entrance to the womb (uterus). Regular pelvic exams and Pap testing can detect precancerous...
Cystic fibrosis is a disease of the mucus and sweat glands. Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disease. The outcome of the disease...
Ectopic Pregnancy (Tubal Pregnancy)
An ectopic pregnancy is a pregnancy located outside the inner lining of the uterus. The majority of ectopic pregnancies occur in...
A heart attack happens when a blood clot completely obstructs a coronary artery supplying blood to the heart muscle. A heart...
Lung cancer kills more men and women than any other form of cancer. Eight out of 10 lung cancers are due to tobacco smoke. Lung...
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lungs caused by fungi, bacteria, or viruses. Symptoms and signs include cough, fever, shortness...
Pregnancy Planning (Tips)
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes...
Raynaud's phenomenon is characterized by a pale-blue-red sequence of color changes of the digits, most commonly after exposure to...
Sore throat (throat pain) usually is described as pain or discomfort in the throat area. A sore throat may be caused...
COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) Symptoms, Causes, Stages, Life Expectancy
COPD or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is a lung condition caused by smoking tobacco, exposure to secondhand smoke, and/or...
Cough (Chronic, Persistent Cough in Adults and Children)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such as asthma, allergic...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Ear Infection (Otitis Media)
Middle ear infection or inflammation (otitis media) is inflammation of the middle ear. There are two forms of this type of ear...
Lung Anatomy (Structure and Function)
The lungs are primarily responsible for the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide between the air we breathe and the blood....
Heart Attack Prevention
Heart disease and heart attacks can be prevented by leading a healthy lifestyle with diet, exercise, and stress management....
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Asbestos (Exposure Dangers, Testing, Symptoms)
Asbestos is a mineral fiber that is found in soil and rock. Asbestos exposure occurs when asbestos fibers are disturbed and...
There are many unusual symptoms of asthma, including sighing, difficulty sleeping, anxiety, chronic cough, recurrent walking...
Smoker's Lung: Pathology Photo Essay
Smoker's lung photo essay is a collection of pictures and microscopic slides of lung disease caused by cigarette smoking....
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
The cause of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) is unknown. The risk of SIDS peaks in infants 2-4 months of age. SIDS is more...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Certain behavioral, lifestyle, and environmental factors contribute to cancer. Cancer prevention involves modifying these factors...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Job Stress and Your Health
Early warning signs of job stress include headache, sleep disturbance, difficulty in concentrating, short temper, upset stomach,...
Asthma in Children
Asthma in children manifests with symptoms such as coughing and wheezing. Rates of asthma in children are increasing. Asthma in...
Bronchitis (Acute) Contagoius Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Recovery Time
Bronchitis is inflammation of the airways in the lung. Acute bronchitis is is short in duration (10 to 20 days) in comparison...
ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome)
Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) is a lung condition in which trauma to the lungs leads to inflammation of the lungs,...
Emphysema, Chronic Bronchitis, and Colds
If you have a COPD such as emphysema, avoiding chronic bronchitis and colds is important to avoid a more severe respiratory...
Heart disease (coronary artery disease) occurs when plaque builds up in the coronary arteries, the vessels that supply blood to...
Emphysema is a COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) that often occurs with other obstructive pulmonary problems and...
Pregnancy Changes and Body Discomforts
Pregnancy can bring challenges like weight gain, stretch marks, varicose veins, heartburn, constipation,...
Chronic Bronchitis (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Remedies)
Chronic bronchitis is a cough that occurs daily with production of sputum that lasts for at least three months, two years in a...
Sinus Headache Pain, Symptoms, Treatments, Remedies, and Cures
Sinus headache is caused by a sinus infection or inflammation of the sinus cavities. Symptoms of a sinus headache include pain,...
Bronchiectasis has three types, 1) cylindrical bronchiectasis, 2) saccular or varicose bronchiectasis, and 3) cystic...
Smoking During Pregnancy
Smoking during pregnancy increases the risk of miscarriage or stillbirth, low birth weight or premature birth, and more....
Children's Cough Causes and Treatments
Children's cough causes include infection, acid reflux, asthma, allergies or sinus infection, whooping cough, and exposure to...
Sore Throat Home Remedies (Soothe, Pain Relief)
Natural and home remedies for sore throat symptoms and pain relief include essential oils, licorice gargles, slippery elm...
Vaping (e-Cigarettes, Side Effects, Dangers, Safety)
Vaping or e-cigarettes are smokable products that use refillable or replaceable cartridges or containers that contain a liquid...
Interstitial Pneumonitis (Interstitial Lung Disease)
Interstitial lung disease refers to a variety of diseased that thicken the tissue between the lungs' air sacks. Viruses,...
19 Tips on How to Stop a Cough
Coughing is a reflex that helps a person clear their airways of irritants. There are many causes of an excessive or severe...
COPD vs. Emphysema (Differences Similarities)
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is the term doctors and other health care professionals use to describe a group of...
Local ResourcesFind a local Family Physician in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Smokers Who Roll Their Own Less Likely to Quit
- Millions of Americans Still Breathing Secondhand Smoke: Report
- Health Tip: Identifying Lung Cancer Risks For Non Smokers
- Secondhand Pot Smoke Found in Kids' Lungs
- Why Are So Few COPD Patients Getting Vital Rehab Treatment?
- Childhood Exposure to Smoke May Raise Risk of Death From COPD
- Secondhand Smoke Exposure as Kids Tied to Women's Arthritis
- More U.S. Parents Smoking Pot Around Kids
- If Kids Exposed to Pot, Tobacco Smoke, ER Visits Rise
- Tobacco Companies Must Put New Warnings on Packaging, Court Says
- COPD Is an Adult Killer, But Its Origins May Lie in Childhood
- Health Groups Sue FDA to Speed Review of E-Cigarettes
- Strong Tobacco Laws May Weed Out Vapers, Too
- Smoking Bans Help Kids Breathe Easier
- Cancer Deaths Higher in Rural America, CDC Reports
- Secondhand Smoke Still Plagues Some Cancer Survivors
- Kids Can Pick Up Nicotine on Their Hands
- Most Americans Favor Larger Health Warnings on Cigarette Packs
- 1 in 4 Teens Exposed to Secondhand E-Cig Vapors: Report
- Secondhand Smoke Linked to Food Allergies in Kids
- As Pot Legalization Advances, Pediatricians Warn of Dangers
- 8 Ways to Help Kids Dodge Germs
- Smoke-Free Public Housing Cuts Secondhand Fumes
- James Bond Has Kicked Butts, But His Co-Stars Haven't
- Kids' Asthma Flareups Fall Off After No-Smoking Laws
- Babies' Marijuana Exposure Evident in Their Pee
- U.S. to Ban Smoking in Public Housing
- Fewer in U.S. Smoke, But Smoking's Death Toll Continues
- U.S. Smoking Rates Differ by County, Not Just State
- Secondhand Smoke More Insidious Than Thought
- Heart Docs: Never Expose Kids to Cigarette Smoke
- Smoking Bans in Affordable Housing Benefit All: Study
- E-Cigarettes Emit Toxic Vapors: Study
- Is Pot Harder on the Heart Than Tobacco?
- 1 in 5 Americans Uses a Tobacco Product
- Apartment Dwellers More Likely to Smoke: CDC
- Smoking in Pregnancy May Be Under-Reported
- Southern States Lagging in Tough Smoking Bans, CDC Says
- National Smoking Bans Help Everyone, Especially Nonsmokers: Study
- Secondhand Smoke in Hookah Bars May Put Employees at Risk
- Health Tip: Help Keep Your Child From Smoking
- Half of U.S. Teens Exposed to Secondhand Smoke, CDC Says
- Active, Passive Smoking Tied to Infertility, Early Menopause: Study
- Agricultural Pesticides May Affect Kids' Breathing
- Tips on Making the 'Great American Smokeout' Work for You
- Secondhand Smoke in Infancy May Harm Kids' Teeth
- Secondhand Smoke Linked to Behavior Issues in Kids
- Secondhand Smoke May Double Risk of Hospitalization for Kids With Asthma
- Smoking Linked to Greater Risk for Type 2 Diabetes
- Health Tip: Secondhand Smoke Poses Danger
- Anti-Tobacco Policies Cut Youth Smoking Rates: Study
- Secondhand Smoke in Pregnancy, Youth Tied to Irregular Heartbeat Years Later
- U.S. Smoking Rate Falls to 15 Percent: CDC
- Secondhand Smoke Tied to Raised Stroke Risk in Study
- Smoking Around Toddlers May Raise Their Obesity Risk
- Many Parents Who Smoke Expose Kids to Fumes at Home
- Smokers May Need More Anesthesia, Painkillers for Surgery
- Smoking Makes a Comeback in Georgia Bars, Restaurants
- Expert Panel Unclear on Whether E-Cigarettes Help Smokers Quit
- Secondhand Smoke May Put Kids at Risk for Heart Disease as Adults
- 1 in 5 Preemies With Lung Disease Exposed to Secondhand Smoke
- 58 Million Americans Exposed to Secondhand Smoke: CDC
- Efforts to Curtail Tobacco Use Stalled in 2014, Report Says
- Millions of U.S. Kids Still Can Buy 'Harmful' E-Cigarettes: CDC
- Cigarettes Cause One-Third of U.S. Cancer Deaths: Report
- Anti-Smoking Campaign Successful and Cost-Effective, CDC Says
- Secondhand Pot Smoke Can Give Your Heart an Unwelcome Buzz
- Smokers in Cars Pose Risk to Passengers: Study
- Cigars Loaded With Harmful Toxins, Study Shows
- Stroke Prevention Guidelines Emphasize Healthy Lifestyle
- Living With a Smoker Like Living in a Polluted City: Study
- Smoking Banned in More Than 80 Percent of U.S. Homes: CDC
- Health Tip: Things That Can Trigger Asthma
- For Kids, Risks of Parental Smoking Persist Long-Term, Study Finds
- Lung Cancer Not on Many Women's Radar: Survey
- Health Tip: Secondhand Smoke Puts Babies at Risk
- Smoking Bans Linked to Drop in Premature Births, Kids' Asthma Attacks
- Secondhand Smoke in Childhood Thickens Arteries
- Secondhand Smoke Linked to Miscarriage Risk
- Black Children, Teens More Likely to Return to Hospital for Asthma: Study
- Much More Must Be Done to Lower Smoking Rates, Experts Say
- Testing for Smoke Exposure May Predict Rehospitalization for Asthma
- E-Cigarettes: Separating Fiction From Fact
- Total Smoking Bans Work Better Than Halfway Measures
- Quitting Tips for Thursday's Great American Smokeout
- Tobacco Myths Continue Half-Century After Landmark U.S. Report
- E-Cigarettes: Expert Q&A With the CDC
- Gaps in Smoke-Free Workplace Laws May Leave Many Exposed
- Pricey Cigarettes, Smoke-Free Homes Help Curb Habit, Study Suggests
- Many Kids With Asthma Live With Secondhand Smoke: CDC
- Poll: U.S. Adults Support Smoking Ban in Cars With Kids
- Just Cutting Back on Smoking May Not Boost Lifespan
- Most Americans Say 'No' to Smoking in Their Homes, Cars
- 'Nonsmoking' Hotel Rooms May Not Fully Protect Guests
- Secondhand Smoke Tied to Lower 'Good' Cholesterol in Teen Girls
- CDC Launches New Graphic Antismoking Ads
- Secondhand Smoke Linked to Early Heart Disease, Study Finds
- A Few Extra Pounds May Harm Lung Function in Black, Hispanic Kids
- Open Windows, Lower Risk for Preterm Birth: Study
- Most Teens Support Tough Smoking Bans: Survey
- Secondhand Smoke in Pregnancy Tied to Behavior Woes in Kids
- Millions of Nonsmokers Exposed to Smoke From Neighbors' Apartments: Report
- Secondhand Smoke Puts Children at Risk for Meningitis
- Airport Smoking Areas Expose Travelers, Workers to Risk: CDC
- Smokers, Nonsmokers Alike Urged to Learn About Lung Cancer
- Smoking Bans Are on the Rise in Big Cities
- Scientists Find Gene Differences in Nonsmokers With Lung Cancer
- Many Smokers Light Up With Kids in Car: Study
- Smoking Bans Reduce Hospitalizations: Study
- Health Tip: What's Behind a Sore Throat?
- Secondhand Smoke: All It Takes Is 20 Minutes
- Secondhand Smoke Ups Babies' Risk of Asthma, Study Says
- When Adults Smoke in Cars, Child Passengers Suffer: Study
- Secondhand Smoke Takes Big Illness, Expense Toll
- Secondhand Smoke in Pregnancy Seems to Harm Baby, Too
- Secondhand Smoke Linked to Memory Problems
- Secondhand Smoke May Impair Children's Cough Reflex
- Secondhand Smoke Linked to Raised Diabetes Risk
- Health Tip: Secondhand Smoke is Dangerous
- Study Ties Secondhand Smoke to Bladder Irritation in Kids
- Secondhand Smoke May Harm Heart Function
- Menopause: Smokers Have More Hot Flashes
- Many Asthmatic Kids Harmed by Secondhand Smoke: Study
- Secondhand Smoke Permeates Many Apartment Buildings: Study
- Health Tip: How to Avoid Secondhand Smoke
- Secondhand Smoke Affects Young Girls More Than Boys: Study
- Secondhand Smoke in Childhood Linked to Lung Disease Years Later
- CDC Launches Graphic Anti-Smoking Ad Campaign
- Ban on Public Smoking Linked to Fewer Preterm Deliveries
- Fewer Teens Exposed to Tobacco Smoke in Cars: Report
- At More U.S. Workplaces, Smokers Need Not Apply
- Smoking During Pregnancy May Damage Children's Blood Vessels
- Some States Make Stopping Smoking Easier Than Others
- Steps Women Can Take to Reduce Risk of Breast Cancer
- Most Smokers Want to Quit, CDC Report Finds
- Secondhand Smoke Derails Quit-Smoking Efforts
- CDC: More States Need to Go 'Smoke-Free'
- Toenail Nicotine Test May Predict Lung Cancer
- Secondhand Smoke Raises Stillbirth Risk
- Study Finds Smoking Linked to Breast Cancer Risk
- Secondhand Smoke Raises Kids' Ear Infection Risk
- Women Who Smoke May Raise Breast Cancer Risk
- Risks of Thirdhand Cigarette Smoke Can Linger
- Low Vitamin D in Newborns Linked to Wheezing
- Secondhand Smoke Risks Hearing Loss
- BPA in Pregnancy: Cashiers, Canned Veggie Eaters Beware?
- Even Low Tobacco Smoke Exposure Is Risky
- Environmental Cancer Risk 'Grossly Underestimated'?