Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Skin Quiz: Acne, Dry Skin, Dandruff & More
What's that all over you? Skin, of course! Test your knowledge of your most amazing organ with the Skin Quiz!...
Picture of Dandruff
A mild skin condition that produces white flakes that may be shed and fall from the hair. See a picture of Dandruff and learn...
Skin Conditions Quiz: Common Skin Diseases
Could you identify a scabies infestation? Take the Skin Diseases Pictures Quiz and learn to identify common conditions that...
Picture of Cradle Cap
Cradle cap (also called seborrheic dermatitis) is a rash that begins as scaling and redness on a baby's scalp. See a picture of...
Picture of Yellow Dandruff
If dandruff flakes are greasy and yellow, the probable cause is the skin condition known as seborrheic dermatitis; seborrhea is...
Fight Dandruff: How to Treat, Control, and Prevent Flakes
Dandruff (Seborrhea) is a common scalp condition resulting in white flaky skin shedding from the scalp. Learn more about the...
Related Disease Conditions
Eczema is a general term for many types dermatitis (skin inflammation). Atopic dermatitis is the most common of the many types of...
Itch (Itching or Pruritus)
Itching can be a common problem. Itches can be localized or generalized. There are many causes of itching to include: infection...
A sty is a bump that forms on the eyelid as a result of a blocked gland. Styes may be caused by infections, burns, or trauma to...
Head lice infection is called pediculosis. Lice are parasites that feed on blood and can be found on the scalp and hair of...
Eczema refers to skin inflammation. There are many different types of eczema that produce symptoms and signs that range from...
Seborrheic dermatitis is a chronic skin condition. Symptoms and signs include a red, scaling rash on the scalp, face, ears, and...
There are many causes of scalp hair loss. This featured article covers the common ones such as patchy hair loss (alopecia areata,...
Scalp Psoriasis (Psoriasis of the Scalp)
Scalp psoriasis causes red, raised, scaly patches that may extend from the scalp to the forehead and the back of the neck and...
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), also known by the name Stein-Leventhal syndrome, is a hormonal problem that causes women to...
Head Lice vs. Dandruff
Dandruff is a condition that causes dry flakes on the scalp. Lice are parasites. Head lice infestations are very contagious. Both...
Contact dermatitis is a rash that occurs after exposure to an irritant. It can be allergic. Symptoms include a red, elevated rash...
Dandruff vs. Dry Scalp
Dandruff is a condition characterized by small white flakes that shed from the scalp. Dry scalp is simply dry skin on one's head....
Is Dandruff (Seborrhea) Contagious?
Seborrheic dermatitis (dandruff) is a chronic condition in which skin on the scalp flakes and sheds. Dandruff is not contagious....
Seborrhea - Treatments
What treatments have you tried for your seborrhea (dandruff)? What works for you?Post View 6 Comments
Seborrhea - Remedies
What home remedies have been effective for your seborrhea?Post View 4 Comments
Dandruff - Treatments That Don't Work
Please discuss remedies or lifestyle changes you've tried for dandruff that don't work.Post
Dandruff - Prescriptions
Did you see a doctor for your dandruff? What was prescribed, and was it effective?Post View 1 Comment
Local ResourcesFind a local Dermatologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- ketoconazole shampoo - topical, Nizoral
- clotrimazole, Lotrimin AF, Gyne-Lotrimin, Alevazol, Desenex, Pro-Ex Antifungal
- Over-the-Counter Products
- selenium sulfide, Dandrex, Selsun Blue
- ketoconazole, Nizoral, Extina, Xolegel, Kuric
- tacrolimus (Prograf, Astagraf XL, Envarsus XR)
- miconazole, Monistat, M-Zole, Micatin
- coal tar shampoo - topical, Denorex, Pentrax, Zetar
- dalteparin (Injection; Fragmin)
- mometasone, Elocon
- pimecrolimus, Elidel
- salicylic acid/sulfur shampoo - topical, Sebex, Sebulex
- fluocinolone acetonide - shampoo, FS Shampoo
- sulfacetamide sodium cream/gel - topical, Ovace
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Managing Dandruff
- Health Tip: Use Dandruff Shampoo Correctly
- Is the 'No-Shampoo' Trend a Healthy One?
- Health Tip: Home Remedies to Ease Dandruff
- Health Tip: Common Triggers for Dandruff
- Health Tip: Want Healthier Hair?
- Health Tip: Easing Baby's Cradle Cap
- Health Tip: Dealing With Dandruff
- Scientists Map the Fungi on Your Feet
- Defeating Dandruff
- FDA Approves No-Comb Treatment for Head Lice
- Could Divorce Trigger Hair Loss in Women?
- Head Lice Grow Resistant to Treatments
- Health Tip: Dealing With Dandruff
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter