Submit Your Comment
When should I contact my doctor about stool color or texture changes?
Aside from black, red, or maroon stools that may signify bleeding and require urgent assessment and treatment, most color changes are not an emergency. The significance is determined based on other symptoms that might be present.
Women who are pregnant often note changes in their bowel pattern. Stool can turn black because of iron and vitamin supplements. Iron can also turn stool greenish. As the uterus enlarges and increases pressure within the pelvis, constipation may occur and hemorrhoids can develop and cause blood in the stool.
If there is no underlying problem, stool color changes are often due to changes in the diet and will resolve in a couple of days. If this is not the case and changes persist, it is appropriate to contact your doctor and seek medical attention.
Contact your doctor if you have stool color changes and have associated symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, fever or abdominal pain.
It is important to remember that every person is different and changes in bowel habit be it color, size, frequency, or consistency (hard or soft) may be normal for one person or a sign of a potential problem for another.
Enter your Comment(required)
Tell us a bit about your background to make your comments more useful to other MedicineNet users. The information below is optional.
Screen Name: *
Gender of Patient:Male Female
Age Range of Patient:
I am a: Patient Caregiver* Screen Name will appear next to the published comment. Please do not include your full name or email address.
By submitting your comment, and other materials (collectively referred to as a "Submission") to MedicineNet, you grant MedicineNet permission to use, copy, transmit, publish, display, edit and modify your Submission in connection with its Web site. MedicineNet will not pay you for your Submission. You represent that you have all rights necessary for MedicineNet to use your Submission as set forth above.
Please keep these guidelines in mind when writing your comment:
Thank you for participating!
To prevent our systems from spam, please complete the following prior to submitting your comment.
Suggested Reading on Stool Color, Changes in Color, Texture, and Form by Our Doctors
Related Diseases & Conditions50 articles
Liver (Anatomy and Function)
- The liver is the largest gland and organ in the body. There are a variety of liver diseases caused by liver inflammation, scarring of the liver, infection
- An anal fissure is a small tear or cut in the skin lining of the anus. Pain and/or rectal bleeding during bowel movements are common symptoms of anal fissures.
Clostridium Difficile Colitis (Antibiotic-Associated Colitis, C. difficile colitis)
- Clostridium difficile (C. difficile) is a bacterium, and is one of the most common causes of infection of the colon. C. difficile spores
Constipation (Home Remedies and Medications for Relief)
- Constipation is defined medically as fewer than three stools per week and severe constipation as less than one stool per week. Constipation usually is
- Cystic fibrosis is a disease of the mucus and sweat glands. Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disease. The outcome of the disease leaves the body malnourished,
- Gallstones are stones that form when substances in the bile harden. Gallstones (formed in the gallbladder) can be as small as a grain of sand or as
H. pylori (Helicobacter Pylori ) Infection
- Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) is a bacteria that causes chronic inflammation (gastritis) of the inner lining of the stomach, and also is
Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs and Ulcers
- Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are prescribed medications for the treatment of inflammatory conditions. Examples of NSAIDs include aspirin,
- Pancreatic cancer is a malignant tumor of the pancreas. Pancreatic cancer has been called a "silent" disease because early pancreatic cancer usually does
- Pancreatitis is a rare disease in which the pancreas becomes inflamed. There are two types of pancreatitis: acute and chronic. Symptoms of pancreatitis
- Celiac disease is a condition in which a person has inflammation of the small intestinal mucosa when exposed to gluten in the diet. Symptoms of celiac
- Ulcerative colitis is a chronic inflammation of the colon. Symptoms include abdominal pain, diarrhea, and rectal bleeding. Ulcerative colitis is closely
- Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal pain, and the sensation
Microscopic Colitis (Lymphocytic Colitis and Collagenous Colitis)
- Microscopic colitis (lymphocytic colitis and collagenous colitis) is a disease of inflammation of the colon. Microscopic colitis is only visible when the
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include:
Blood in the Stool (Rectal Bleeding)
Blood in the stool or rectal bleeding (hematochezia) refers to the passage of bright red blood from the anus. Common causes include
Stomach Flu (Gastroenteritis )
Stomach flu (gastroenteritis) is a term referred used to describe a variety of gastrointestinal problems. The most common signs and symptoms of gastroenteritis
- Barrett's esophagus occurs as a complication of chronic gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), primarily in white males. GERD refers to the reflux of
- Colon polyps are common growths on the inner lining of the colon. Colon polyps may become cancerous. There are several different types of colon polyps,
- Intussusception is the telescoping (prolapse) of a portion of the intestine within another immediately adjacent portion of intestine. Intussusception affects
- Travelers' diarrhea is generally contracted by eating contaminated food or drinking contaminated water. Food is the primary source of travelers' diarrhea.
Anal itching is the irritation of the skin at the exit of the rectum, known as the anus, accompanied by the desire to scratch. Causes include everything
Laxatives types for treatment of constipation include over-the-counter (OTC) preparations, for example:
- Bulk-forming laxatives
The Digestion Process (Organs and Functions)
- Digestion is the complex process of turning the food you eat into the energy you need to survive. The digestive process also involves creating waste to
- Varices are dilated blood vessels usually in the esophagus or stomach. Symptoms of bleeding varices include vomiting blood, black stools, low blood pressure,
SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth)
Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) refers to a condition in which abnormally large numbers of bacteria (at least 100,000 bacteria per ml of
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
- Learn how to recognize serious diseases and health problems like strokes, heart attacks, cancers, reproductive problems in females (for example, cancers,
- Pancreatic cysts are collections of fluid within the pancreas. Some are benign, malignant, or pseudocysts. There are two major types of pancreatic cysts,
Gastritis Symptoms, Diet, Causes, Treatment
- Gastritis is an inflammation of the stomach lining. Causes of gastritis include drinking too much alcohol, medications such as NSAIDs, ibuprofen, aspirin,
- See All Related Diseases & Conditions »
- Liver (Anatomy and Function)
Procedures & Tests1 articles
Pictures, Images & Quizzes31 articles
Doctor's & Expert's Views4 articles
Health News0 articles
Health Features0 articles