(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What is the normal range for sedimentation rate?

The normal sedimentation rate (Westergren method) for males is 0-15 millimeters per hour, females is 0-20 millimeters per hour. The sedimentation rate may normally be slightly higher in the elderly.

Return to Sedimentation Rate

Comment from: Rizka, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I went to the hospital 3 month ago, and my ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) was 107. I was diagnosed with lupus. Now, I'm taking 8 mg of prednisone.

Comment from: Dip, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 31

My sedimentation rate was 90. I have temporal arteritis which has flared up.

Comment from: Susan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I was diagnosed with costochondritis about 3 years ago. The pain was centered on both sides of my rib cage and across my abdomen. It was severe at first; took a lot of ibuprofen and used a heating pad. I had injections which did not help, and physical therapy which did not help. A lot of my pain, I think, was caused from stress and my doctor put me on clonazepam (anti-anxiety medication) and I continued to take ibuprofen. It reduced my pain by about 50 percent. It eventually went away, but I still get it back. It is really bad right now. I also have chronic constipation and find that when I do finally have a bowel movement, it reduces the pain. I sure wish there was some solution to this problem. It's not fun and really curtails your activities.