(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What are cellulitis symptoms and signs?

Cellulitis usually begins as a small area of tenderness, swelling, and redness that spreads to adjacent skin. As this red area begins to enlarge, the affected person may develop a fever, sometimes with chills and sweats, tenderness, and swollen lymph nodes ("swollen glands") near the area of infected skin.

Return to Cellulitis

Comment from: guilla, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 13

Pain, redness and swelling below my right knee were my cellulitis symptoms. Also it was hot to touch. I started treatment with cefadroxil 500 mg. Then due to bad weather and lack of doctors I started treatment on my own with amoxcillin 500.

Comment from: bevforgot, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I had port removed, and it got infected with dry blood lump which the surgeon cut out. Next morning I felt drunk, wobbly, vomiting, feverish, red and swollen, and untouchable. I went to the emergency room, got admitted for 4 days, was on myacin, and released with Augmentin. The lump is still infected, and the doctor is cutting it out again on Monday. My white blood cells and platelets are very low due to the cellulitis.

Comment from: Scott, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

I pulled a muscle in my leg on Sunday. Tuesday morning it started to hurt and bother me. Wednesday night it was hot to the touch, a little swollen, and sore to the touch but still didn't seem a big problem. It seemed to feel better at times and worse at other times. By Saturday morning I had a lot of pain while walking on it. The entire calf was swollen with a big area red and hot to the touch. I went to urgent care, and was sent to the emergency room and then to hospital to treat the cellulitis.