(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What is the treatment for peptic ulcers?

The goal of ulcer treatment is to relieve pain, heal the ulcer, and prevent complications. The first step in treatment involves the reduction of risk factors (NSAIDs and cigarettes). The next step is medications.

Return to Peptic Ulcer (Stomach Ulcer)

Comment from: Liz, Female Published: June 03

I am the caregiver to my husband, who is fighting pancreatic cancer and heart problems. Two weeks ago I awoke with what I thought was a bite on my torso at my rib cage. When my husband saw it he thought it was a boil, but I put tea tree oil on it and thought it would dry up. In a week it began to drain, with a bloody pus, and eventually dried up. But, two days later, it again filled with pus, turned red and burned. Being Memorial Day weekend, I decided to go to the doctor, instead of suffer for another 4 days. She lanced it and sent a culture off for diagnosis. At that time she put me on Keflex Pulvule 500 MG. The next Tuesday, she emailed me telling me I had Staphylococcus epidermidis and that the Keflex would not work, she was putting me on doxycycline hyclate 100 MG for the next 10 days. I have no idea how I picked this up, but consider myself very lucky I went to the doctor when I did.

Comment from: PerforatedMMM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I had severe abdominal (neck, shoulder, and back too) pain that resulted in emergency surgery to patch a perforated ulcer that I never knew I had. Turned out it was NSAIDS, (ibuprofen, as well as the final blow; prednisone for poison ivy reaction). I had nasogastric (NG) tube for 5-6 days, IV fluids for 8 days of hospitalization, and laparoscopic surgery. Now almost 8 weeks later, I'm still having periodic debilitating pain in my abdomen. CT scans and endoscopy show that I am ulcer free, healed up too. I am focusing on my diet now. I follow BRAT diet and I can't tolerate roughage apparently. I'm wondering how long until I can be pain free with a normal diet!

Comment from: sweetpea, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I have 4 peptic ulcers, two in the stomach and two in the small intestine. I didn't know I had them until I was hospitalized for the pain. I was in for five days. I was prescribed Protonix but could not afford it. However, I do take Prilosec twice a day forever now. It does help. Diet modification is a must. Do your research on PP (proton pump) inhibitors. Unfortunately, to know for sure, you have to have the EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy) test.