(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What are topical itch treatments? Are there any home remedies for itching?

Topical itch treatments, those used on the skin, include cold applications, creams, and lotions.

Cold applications: Because cold and itch travel along the same nerve fibers, the use of cold can "jam the circuits" and deaden itch. Methods of applying cold include the following:

• Cool water, either by running tap water over the affected area or placing a cold clean washcloth on the skin
  • Cool showers
  • A cool bath; products that contain colloidal oatmeal are available over the counter as an itch relief bath
  • Ice packs, either the commercially available type or ice cubes in a plastic bag

Hot water (in the shower, for instance) feels good temporarily, but it can leave you feeling even itchier later. Therefore, the use of hot water is not recommended.

Return to Itch (Itching or Pruritus)

Comment from: Spidey, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I've been fighting itch problems for at least the past 15 years. Different topical applications work to some extent but the real problem is candida. This could be quickly resolved by a round of Nizoral but doctors won't prescribe it. Instead I spend a fortune on yeast killing herbs and probiotics. The best probiotic in Threelac but it's expensive. It's been taking longer to work the past 3 years which probably means the yeast is growing an immunity to it. I am planning to get some black walnut hulls and hope for the best.

Comment from: sai, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 21

Since the past 2 years, I have been suffering from eczema and itching. I used many medicines but I didn't get any good results. Then I chose Neutralise wheat grass soap for my itching and eczema, since 30 days I'm using this soap, and it is giving me great results. Now my itching and eczema are reducing.

Comment from: Craig, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 26

I suffered a traumatic work related event in 1994 which resulted in me losing my job, my family, my house and financial investments. I was in a state of deep shock and was unable to think rationally. I didn't receive immediate treatment for PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder) as I didn't know how the incident had affected me. It was only during the following 20 years that I discovered a fear of the workplace and I had difficulty in keeping a job. Only in 2015 did I begin receiving psychological therapy but the damage is severe. There is also a link to my childhood.