(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What are food allergy symptoms and signs?

The complex process of digestion affects the timing, location, and particular symptoms of an allergic reaction to food. All of the symptoms of food allergy occur within a few minutes to an hour of eating. A food allergy can initially be experienced as an itching in the mouth and difficulty swallowing and breathing. Then, during digestion of the food in the stomach and intestines, symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain can start. Incidentally, the gastrointestinal symptoms of food allergy are those that are most often confused with the symptoms of different types of food intolerance.

As mentioned previously, the allergens are absorbed and enter the bloodstream. When they reach the skin, allergens can induce hives or eczema, and when they reach the airways, they can cause asthma. As the allergens travel through the blood vessels, they can cause lightheadedness, weakness, and anaphylaxis, which is a sudden drop in blood pressure. Anaphylactic reactions are severe even when they start off with mild symptoms, such as a tingling in the mouth and throat or discomfort in the abdomen. They can be fatal if not treated quickly.

Return to Food Allergy

Comment from: Anon., Published: August 29

For years I have been on, off or switching statins because of muscle pain. Most recently, I was prescribed pravastatin 10 mg which was eventually increased to 40 mg for my familial hypercholesterolemia. It's an older drug and took a while to cause the same old problems. This May, I had such severe muscle pain in my hamstrings and thighs that I asked my primary care physician for a CK (creatine kinase) test and stopped the statins. My CK levels were only 700s so I can't imagine what other people's pain would be like, because mine was debilitating. I was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis immediately but the findings were inconclusive as I did not have kidney issues. I still cannot sit on a wooden or metal chair without a pillow. I am only without pain when I stand up. I continue to drink 15 glasses of water daily because the pain increases when I don't. The fatigue is terrible requiring naps. I am in physical therapy but because I have mobility, the therapist told me to go to a gym and get pain management and that there was little she could do. I am disgusted with her but will continue therapy as prescribed because the muscle atrophy is unacceptable for my age level. Be careful with statins and weigh your health options. The cardiologist is giving me 6 months to heal but in November I will need to try an injectable statin as the cholesterol levels are dangerously high.

Comment from: zouhair, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

Couple days ago I was stung by a scorpion in the middle of nowhere. I was in a fishing trip with a friend. It was scary but luckily I found a guy there who had been stung about 20 times. He tied my hand, made a small cut, and sucked the blood off it. He told it will burn awfully and I may have some climate change in my body, like feeling the rain and snow and sometimes feeling so hot. It did but my hand stayed numb for 14 hours. I didn't go to the hospital.

Comment from: Samuel, Published: April 19

I started having nose bleeding when I was 10 years old and continued till I was 21 years old. My father too does have nose bleeding. It takes between 10 and 15 minutes and there is no pain; my dad just asks me to hold back my head, and then it will stop. I started having nose bleeding again about two years ago. Any time I carry heavy load with my left hand it will bleed just for a moment and clog without pain.