Enlarged prostate (BPH) definition and facts
- The prostate gland produces a fluid that becomes part of the semen.
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia, or BPH, involves enlargement of the prostate gland.
- The prostate enlargement in benign prostatic hyperplasia is not malignant (not cancer).
- BPH can impede the flow of urine.
- Symptoms include frequent urge to urinate, getting up at night to urinate, difficulty urinating and dribbling of urine.
- The treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia is usually reserved for patients with significant symptoms.
- Medical and surgical approaches are available to treat BPH.