(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What is the treatment for ovarian cysts?

Most ovarian cysts in women of childbearing age are follicular or corpus luteum cysts (functional cysts) that disappear naturally in one to three months, although they can rupture and cause pain. They are benign and have no long-term medical consequences. They may be diagnosed coincidentally during a pelvic examination in women who do not have any related symptoms. All women have follicular cysts at some point that generally go unnoticed.

Ultrasound is useful to determine if the cyst is simple (just fluid with no solid tissue, suggesting a benign condition) or compound (with solid components that often requires surgical resection).

In summary, the ideal treatment of ovarian cysts depends on the likely cause of the cysts and whether or not it is producing symptoms. The woman's age, the size (and any change in size) of the cyst, and the cyst's appearance on ultrasound help determine the treatment. Cysts that are functional are usually observed (watchful waiting) with frequent monitoring unless they rupture and cause significant bleeding, in which case, surgical treatment is required. Benign and malignant tumors require operation.

Treatment can consist of simple observation, or it can involve evaluating blood tests such as a CA-125 to help determine the potential for cancer (keeping in mind the many limitations of CA-125 testing described above).

There are no natural or home remedies to treat ovarian cysts, other than taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for pain management.

Return to Ovarian Cysts

Comment from: Bitten all over., 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I have found for the intense itching from chiggers that Benadryl gel applied to the affected area stops the itching immediately. After suffering with the intense itching and infected wounds I asked a friend to go to the pharmacy store at the end of my street to pick up some needful. I asked for Benadryl liquid that you take in your mouth and swallow, but she thought I wanted Benadryl gel that you apply on the affected area. I didn't know it existed. I tried it and the intense itching went away immediately. I hope you find this information valuable because I sure did.

Comment from: T.C., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

My jumpy heart, palpitations, dizziness, tiredness and fast heart rate, began all year long in 2015. I then went into the emergency room (ER) the first week in December and I was diagnosed with atrial flutter. I had been given a low dose calcium channel blocker. I then went another time and they increased the dose, along with a high blood pressure medicine and a blood thinner from two cardiologists. I finally had a catheter ablation (after three visits to the ER and medicines not working) on March 1st, 2016. Every day I feel much better.

Comment from: Traemanden, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 28

I stepped on a stingray in Peru 10 days ago. At first I thought it was a crab or something biting after I felt movement under my foot. I rushed to the shore and found a 1 cm bleeding cut in the soft part below my ankle. I humped across the beach to find a shower and flushed it while letting it bleed, I guess half a cup of blood. An employee from the hotel had seen me humping over the beach and came with hot water and soap in which my foot soaked for 15 to 20 minutes. After that he gave me a cotton pad soaked in hydrogen peroxide for disinfection. Actually the H2O2 was the most painful part. After an hour sitting (was entertained by jumping humpback whales far out), the wound seemed closed and I was able to walk normally. Here 10 days later the skin is almost healed in the middle of a 1 inch pink spot, and I feel itching in all of the original cut (1 or 2 inches deep) and a little pain when pressing the area. I didn't get any tetanus or antibiotic shots.