(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

Mixed connective tissue disease facts

• Connective tissues are the framework of the cells of the body.
  • Mixed connective tissue disease is considered an "overlap" of three connective tissue diseases, systemic lupus erythematosus, scleroderma, and polymyositis.
  • Diagnosis of mixed connective tissue disease is supported by detecting abnormal antibodies in the blood.
  • Treatment of mixed connective tissue disease is directed at suppressing immune-related inflammation of tissues.
Return to Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (MCTD)

Comment from: alison, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I have mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD)/lupus. I have been ill with this for around 18 months now. I was in agony with the pain in my back and wrists; this is a horrible disease. I am on hydroxychloroquine which I have been taking for several months now but it does not seem to be working.

Comment from: CaroBev, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I was diagnosed with mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD) in early January of 2017. It is a very painful disease with multi symptoms not to exclude severe depression at times. Prednisone does help with my painful joints, but what gets to me the most is the weakness and the shortness of breath. On the 16th of March I will see a specialist to have an inhibitor like methotrexate or a biologic drug to stop the unrelenting progress of the disease before my own immune system has the chance to attack my lungs and finally my heart; end of story if it does.

Comment from: TimD, Male (Patient) Published: December 21

I was diagnosed with MCTD (mixed connective tissue disease) on March 30, 2015, by an ANA blood test. I have Sjogren's syndrome as it gives me dry eyes and dry mouth; Raynaud's phenomenon as it gives me numbness and blue/purple fingers. I also have rheumatoid arthritis (RA) which gives me soreness and stiffness in neck, fingers, and toes. I also have herniated discs at C5-C7 and the RA seems to attack that weakness as well. I was taking steroids and methotrexate for 15 months and felt great, but in June 2016 starting feeling like medicines were not working. I came off steroids and started Lyrica along with methotrexate. In November I developed pneumonia and then sinusitis. This disease is very frustrating as it keeps morphing and the medicines lower you immune system so you have serious problems.