(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What are causes of pelvic pain in men?

Chronic nonbacterial prostatitis or chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP/CPPS) is a condition that can cause chronic pelvic pain in men. The cause is poorly understood. This pain is sometimes referred to as prostatodynia.

Acute or chronic prostatitis (inflammation of the prostate often due to bacterial infection) is another source of pelvic pain in men.

Return to Pelvic Pain (in Women and Men)

Comment from: inspector3500, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 27

I have chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome´┐Ż(CP/CPPS) caused by benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), an enlarged prostate, the CP part of CP/CPPS. I suffered in pain for several years till I stumbled across a web site that addressed this very problem. It seems the prostate pain was being spread around (referral pain) to other muscles which were causing the nerves to cause pressure point development throughout my pelvic area. I had pressure points developed in all the muscle layers of the pelvic floor, reachable by a physical therapist (PT) going in through the rectum. Pressure points developed in the interior pelvic floor, the perineum, the testicles, and the penis. I went to the PT twice a week for 6 months, then once a week for 6 months then once a month or two for a year. She used a Thiele massage (pulsing massage) as that was more effective than just straight pressure massage to reduce and eliminate the interior pelvic floor pressure points over a period of 6 months with follow up sessions once or twice every 2 to 3 months as the pressure points started reforming. She used the Thiele massage to also reduce and eliminate the pressure points in the perineum with a similar set of follow up sessions. For the testicles she used a palpitation massage with a thumb roll of the cremaster muscle, while this was effective in reducing pain, it only last a day or so then the pain levels began to climb again and requires additional massage to reduce the pain once again. Sadly my insurance ran out and I've been forced to discontinue PT sessions. Fortunately my caregiver who had been accompanying me to the PT sessions had learned enough she was able to do the skin surface level pressure point massage to keep the perineum clear of pressure points. After three and a half years, two or three massage sessions a week keeps my pain level at the 4 to 7 pain level based on the 1 through 10 pain level diagnoses.