How can social issues affect the life and health of seniors?
Social issues can have a significant impact on life and both physical and mental health of seniors. Some of the major contributors to social and psychological problems for seniors are as follows:
- Loneliness from losing a spouse and friends
- Inability to independently manage regular activities of living
- Difficulty coping and accepting physical changes of aging
- Frustration with ongoing medical problems and increasing number of medications
- Social isolation as adult children are engaged in their own lives
- Feeling inadequate from inability to continue to work
- Boredom from retirement and lack of routine activities
- Financial stresses from the loss of regular income
These factors can have a negative impact on overall health of an older individual. Addressing these psychosocial problems is an integral component of seniors' complex medical care.