(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What are symptoms of hypoglycemia and how low is too low?

The normal range of glucose in the bloodstream is from 70 to 100 mg/dL when the individual is fasting (that is not immediately after a meal). The body's biochemical response to hypoglycemia usually starts when sugars are in the high/mid 70's. At this point, the liver releases its stores and the hormones mentioned above start to activate. In many people, this process occurs without any clinical symptoms. The amount of insulin produced also declines in an attempt to prevent a further drop in glucose.

While there is some degree of variability among people, most will usually develop symptoms suggestive of hypoglycemia when blood glucose levels are lower than 50 mg/dL. The first set of symptoms are called adrenergic (or sympathetic) because they relate to the nervous system's response to hypoglycemia. Patients may experience any of the following;

• nervousness,
  • sweating,
  • intense hunger,
  • trembling,
  • weakness,
  • palpitations, and
  • often have trouble speaking.

In most people, these symptoms are easily recognizable. The vast majority of individuals with diabetes only experience this degree of hypoglycemia if they are on medications or insulin. People (with diabetes or who have insulin resistance) with high circulating levels of insulin who fast or change their diet to lower their carbohydrate intake drastically should also be cautioned. These individuals may also experience modest hypoglycemia.

People being treated for diabetes who experience hypoglycemia may not experience symptoms as easily as people without diabetes. This phenomenon has been referred to as hypoglycemic unawareness. This can be dangerous as blood sugars may approach extremely low levels before any symptoms are perceived.

Anyone who has experienced an episode of hypoglycemia describes a sense of urgency to eat and resolve the symptoms. And, that's exactly the point of these symptoms. They act as warning signs to tell the body to consume more fuel. At this level, the brain still can access circulating blood glucose for fuel. The symptoms provide a person the opportunity to raise blood glucose levels before the brain is affected.

If a person does not or cannot respond by eating something to raise blood glucose, the levels of glucose continue to drop. With further drops in blood glucose, patients progress to neuro-glyco-penic ranges (meaning that the brain is not getting enough glucose). At this point, symptoms progress to confusion, drowsiness, changes in behavior, coma, and seizure.

Return to Low Blood Sugar (Hypoglycemia)

Comment from: Gretch, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I've had the herpes simplex ii virus for almost 40 years now. I got it when I was seventeen from another teenager who didn't know that he had it. At that age I thought that it was the end of the world for me! Back in 1978 there wasn't that much known about herpes; my relief came not from medications (there was no treatment back then, albeit I had heard about 'heat lamps' for males), but from a support group out of Palo Alto, California, who mailed me information, very discreetly, after I was finally medically diagnosed. From their mailings I learned hopeful things, like my body would eventually build up immunity to the nerve virus, causing less breakouts over time, and that I wasn't ruined for life. From the school of hard knocks I learned to tell my partners up front about my disease, and I have led a relatively normal life, since. I ended up giving it to my boyfriend, because I had some bad advice from my mother to not tell him. We ended up marrying and that's when I found out that passing it back and forth without treatment nor protection was harmful to our health, but we were young and ignorant. I simply didn't know that I should be telling people that I have it, until I was older and divorced. The only other person I ended up giving it to is my current husband of 13.5 years, in a 15.5 total years of our relationship, but he was made aware of it early on, and although we tried to prevent it, he got it anyhow, a year before we were married. I'm writing all this so that readers may have hope that there is a (healthy) life after contracting herpes. The only thing that I'm confused about today is that finally, after 39 years of carrying the virus and suffering through the early breakouts, I ended up having apparently enough stress (and the worst leg cramp I've ever had which may have led up to this outbreak) to end up having what can only be described as a first and worst breakout in a totally different spot (on the outside of my right-side labia instead of deep inside my vaginal wall on my right side (where it had originally implanted itself in the nerve). So I could finally actually see it after four decades of not seeing it, which is surprising, because it goes against the grain of what I've learned all my life about herpes; it's supposed to get better, not worse. Let's hope this was just a one-time incident; I'll keep you all posted.

Comment from: My plantar wart, 55-64 Male Published: July 18

The following treatments didn't work for my plantar warts; freezing didn't work, wart off acid didn't work, turmeric powder and vinegar didn't work, and fresh garlic didn't work. Finally eucalyptus oil seems to reduce the pain and is drying off the wart, hopefully this will work.

Comment from: NEVERAGAIN, 35-44 Male Published: June 01

You don't know if you are allergic to it until the barium swallow is over. The barium burned my stomach lining and now I have issues months later. This is uncalled for, it wasn't a necessary procedure and still no results.