(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What are flu (influenza) symptoms in adults and in children?

Typical clinical features of influenza may include

• fever (usually 100 F-103 F in adults and often even higher in children, sometimes with facial flushing and/or sweating),
  • chills,
  • respiratory symptoms such as
    • cough (more often in adults),
    • sore throat (more often in adults),
    • runny or stuffy nose (congestion, especially in children),
    • sneezing,
  • headache,
  • muscle aches (body aches), and
  • fatigue, sometimes extreme.

Although appetite loss, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea can sometimes accompany influenza infection, especially in children, gastrointestinal symptoms are rarely prominent. The term "stomach flu" is a misnomer that is sometimes used to describe gastrointestinal illnesses caused by other microorganisms. H1N1 infections, however, caused more nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea than the conventional (seasonal) flu viruses. Depending upon the severity of the infection, some patients can develop swollen lymph nodes, muscle pain, shortness of breath, severe headaches, chest pain or chest discomfort, dehydration, and even death.

Most individuals who contract influenza recover in a week or two, however, others develop potentially life-threatening complications like pneumonia. In an average year, influenza is associated with about 36,000 deaths nationwide and many more hospitalizations. Flu-related complications can occur at any age; however, the elderly and people with chronic health problems are much more likely to develop serious complications after the conventional influenza infections than are younger, healthier people.

Return to Flu (Influenza)

Comment from: Blackbog, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I was hit like a ton of bricks; extreme fatigue, weakness, severe body and joint pain, bronchial cough, wheezing, fever and chills, fever and shortness of breath. Bronchitis turned into bronchial pneumonia and I ended up in hospital for a week where I was diagnosed with strain A flu. I still continue to have weakness, pneumonia and shortness of breath. I have never been this sick in my life!

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I got sick three days after I had gotten flu shot. The symptoms include constant coughing, dizziness, fatigue, sore ribs due to coughing, congestion, loss of appetite, and runny nose.

Comment from: twin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I am having a sinus congestion and chest cold that is causing a lot of coughing, and it hurts when I cough.