Is it possible to prevent Rocky Mountain spotted fever?
RMSF can be prevented by implementing the following precautionary measures that can help avoid tick bites:
- Wear long pants and long sleeves when walking or working outside, especially in wooded areas.
- Use DEET-containing insect repellents.
- Check yourself, family members, and pets for ticks after you have been outside in a high-risk area.
- If a tick is found, proper removal of the tick is important. Removal of the tick should be performed with tweezers while wearing gloves. The tick should not be crushed, and care should be taken to ensure that the whole tick is removed while gently pulling the tick out.
- If possible, keep the tick so that identification of the tick species can be established if necessary.