(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

A Doctor's View on Cyst Diagnosis

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Cyst diagnosis depends upon the type and location of the cyst. While some Baker and ganglion cysts may be apparent on physical exam, ovarian and liver cysts are not. Ultrasounds and CT and MRI scans may be used in the diagnosis of a cyst. Read the entire Doctor's View

How do physicians diagnose a cyst?

Some cysts are easily palpated by the doctor, especially if the cysts are located in the skin or in organs that are readily palpable, like the thyroid gland. Imaging studies such as ultrasound, X-ray, CAT scans, and MRIs are very useful in finding cysts. In addition, needle biopsies are sometimes used to determine if malignant tissue is associated with a cyst-like structure. In addition, needle biopsy may be used to reduce the size of the cyst.

Return to Cyst

Comment from: jody orlando, 45-54 Female Published: February 05

I went to the woods for a walk and came home with chiggers. I didn't know for sure till I used an old home remedy of nail polish on them and in minutes the itch subsided. I then used a cold pack to help the heat and itch, calamine lotion does not help, I used a 2.5 cortisone and that didn't help, but the nail polish did!

Comment from: louise, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had surgery for my sciatica. I had pain traveling down right leg. Recovery was going well, then 5 weeks in I got the flu, then I got pneumonia. After recovering I lost the ability to stand or walk unassisted. I now must use a walker. I also experience pain in the same leg, and weakness in both legs. My surgeon ordered an MRI and found I had two cysts, one on each side of my spine between 4th and 5th vertebrae. The doctor says surgery, illness and chronic arthritis inflamed them. Now I"m going in for a series of steroid injections to see if that will help. The doctor said he"s not looking at surgery... But I still can"t walk or stand unassisted; not good when that"s required of your job.

Comment from: Immaculate, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

Since my past years I have never had nosebleed. I have been having problems of flu, strong cough but I can't sneeze. Now at the age of 53, I was bending and my nose started bleeding. I bled a lot so I bent my head to release all the blood out. I want to know if there is a cause for this because it has happened twice now.