(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

Can angina be prevented?

The risk for atherosclerotic heart disease can be minimized by preventive medicine. Exercise, a healthy diet, and avoiding smoking will decrease the likely of developing atherosclerotic heart disease, stroke, and peripheral artery disease.

A patient should never smoke but heart attack risk begins to decrease shortly after he or she quits smoking.

Lifelong screening and controlling high blood pressure (hypertension), high cholesterol, and diabetes will minimize the risk of developing heart disease but that risk does not become zero.

Understanding that angina and heart disease may not present with symptoms of chest pain may help a patient seek care from a health care professional. This may lead to earlier diagnosis and treatment.

Return to Angina

Comment from: brarrabit, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 26

I had two episodes of angina attack, both with the typical symptoms; both remedied with insertion of a stent. More interesting however was, that both angina attacks had one or two minute premonitory episodes of ocular migraines beginning months before actual attacks. Any further incidence of ocular migraine ceased to exist once the stents were in.

Comment from: Anthony, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 26

I was 41yrs old in 1985 when I experienced my first angina attack whilst playing soccer. I played most sports up till then and was still very fit so it came as a shock when diagnosed with severe angina. Exercise ECG's and angiograms soon confirmed my problem and was immediately hospitalized and had my first heart by-pass surgery (quadruple) four weeks later. This kept me going for 13 years whereby I had another heart by-pass operation (single graft). I count myself as one of the so called "lucky" ones as I have suffered numerous heart attacks, have had stents fitted along with an ICD (Implanted Cardiac Defibrillator) which helps to improve the function of my ailing heart. I'm now turning 70 yrs, still suffer with angina but at least I am glad to be alive. Be positive and ask as many questions as possible when worried about heart symptoms. You don't have to treat all aches and pains in the chest as heart related but if you feel at all unwell please see your GP. My symptoms were tightness in the throat, something that I would never have related to heart disease but your instincts will tell you when you are not well. In 1985 heart surgery was certainly much more daunting than today so if you are told you require open heart surgery you will be in the hands of the very best trained medical teams throughout the medical world so do not worry (too much anyway)! Anthony.