(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What are the signs and symptoms of vertigo?

The symptoms of vertigo include a sense of spinning or moving. These symptoms can be present even when someone is perfectly still. Movement of the head or body, like rolling over in bed, can escalate or worsen the symptoms. The symptoms are different from lightheadedness or a sense of fainting. Many people experience associated nausea or vomiting.

Physical examination often shows signs of abnormal eye movements, called nystagmus. Some patients experience imbalance in association with the vertigo. If imbalance lasts for more than a few days, or if the vertigo is accompanied by weakness or incoordination of one side of the body, the suspicion of stroke or other problem of the brain is much higher. In those cases, prompt evaluation is recommended.

Return to Vertigo (Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, and Home Remedies)

Comment from: Dolly, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 14

A recent vertigo episode occurred this morning. It started with profuse sweating all over my body. I was dizzy and everything was spinning. I also was vomiting and had diarrhea. When I moved or tried to walk I became even dizzier and vomited more. Even opening my eyes made my symptoms worse. It was difficult to even open my eyes without vomiting. I could not focus to read even medical labels. This continued for approximately 4 or 5 hours.

Comment from: satish, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 22

On 15th and 16th of this month my wife experienced vertigo symptoms. She was vomiting continuously and was feeling dizziness. At first we thought it was acidity, all medicines were given to her but no change. After some doctor came and told us it was vertigo, treatment was given accordingly and now she is ok. I wonder if she will face this kind of problem again.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 30

My daughter started experiencing dizziness, and nausea with severe headaches during and after a virus which lasted one month. Since this very bad bout of flu which has reoccurred, she has been unable to drive, feeling a lack of co-ordination. She is very concerned about this as she has had to pull aside and call her husband to pick her up on three occasions.