(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What is gout?

Gout is a type of arthritis that causes sudden joint inflammation, usually in one joint. Severe gout can sometimes affect many joints at once. This is known as polyarticular gout.

Return to Gout (Gouty Arthritis)

Comment from: G, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

I have been suffering from gout about 5 years now. The most recent attack was two weeks ago and to date I still have not fully gotten over it. Although I can walk now, it's the first time I got an attack in both feet. Wow, it's terrible. I take allopurinol but that didn't do much this time. I am looking for a solution.

Comment from: BillC, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I had my first case of gout about 30 years ago I was only in my 30s at the time. They did not know as much about it back then and I suffered for months before my now doctor found the cause and treated it with medicine. I did all the different drugs to get it under control and now I take 400 MG of allopurinol each day and have been for over 30 years. If I miss a dose I am in trouble. I eat right, watch my weight and exercise everyday which helps. I had a flare up about a month ago and quickly took some colchicine to get it under control. Mine is not food related, I just do not get rid of the uric acid in my system. It is the most ongoing painful thing I deal with every day.

Comment from: david, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I am sorry to say I have never watched my diet and the result of it has been, about every 6 months my gout will start to act up. At that point I will take one 100 milligram pill of indomethacin and I'm good for about another 6 months. When I first found out I had the gout about 26 years ago I would get a flare up once a week which left a huge lump on the side of my foot the size of a ping pong ball. It's still there, I need to have it removed.