How can heat stroke be prevented?
- The most important measures to prevent heat strokes are to avoid becoming dehydrated and to avoid vigorous physical activities in hot and humid weather.
- If you have to perform physical activities in hot weather, drink plenty of fluids (such as water and sports drinks), but avoid alcohol, and caffeine (including soft drinks and tea), which may lead to dehydration.
- Your body will need replenishment of electrolytes (such as sodium) as well as fluids if you sweat excessively or perform vigorous activity in the sunlight for prolonged periods.
- Take frequent breaks to hydrate yourself. Wear hats and light-colored, lightweight, loose clothes.
- Keep cars locked when not in use and never, ever, leave infants, children or pets unattended in a locked car.