(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

Definition of abdominal pain

Abdominal pain is pain or discomfort that a person feels anywhere between the lower chest to the distal groin. Some health care professionals include the diaphragm, pelvis (and genitals) and the retroperitoneal space. Chest and abdominal pain are the two top reasons why people go to emergency rooms, according to the CDC.

Return to Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I had severe abdominal pain for decades. The first problem was when I was in my early 20s. I had 7 golf ball sized cysts on my fallopian tubes. I had surgery to remove them. Then I got a uterine fibroid that grew to the size of a cantaloupe. I had a partial hysterectomy for that problem. The abdominal pain persisted still. After decades of going to doctors I finally found a gastrointestinal (GI) specialist who would tackle and diagnose my problems. He diagnosed microscopic colitis, SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth), hiatal hernia, and abdominal adhesions from my previous surgeries. I had surgery to remove the adhesions and that pain was gone immediately. I've finally been able to find ways through diet (FODMAP elimination diet and a vegan diet) and exercise to manage my colitis, SIBO, and hiatal hernia. These problems are difficult to distinguish because they all cause pain and similar symptoms. There are good GI doctors out there who can help you diagnose your problems. I'm proof! Best of luck.

Comment from: Worried, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have been having upper abdominal pain off and on for years. I often feel a lump at the edge of my left rib cage. The pain is a constant ache. I can now see the lump when standing and it feels hard and lumpy. My doctor believes there is nothing nasty going on.

Comment from: Kelly's tummy hurts, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have had severe lower abdominal cramps for two days. I have bloating, and it is tender to touch; with several hours in duration. Cramping begins two inches above navel and goes down into pelvic region. Eating makes pain worse.