(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What is the definition of low testosterone (Low-T)?

• Testosterone is a hormone required for male development and sexual function and is produced primarily in the testicles.
  • Testosterone is responsible for building muscle and bone mass, sperm production, and sex drive.
  • Testosterone influences male pattern fat distribution, bone density, and red blood cell production.
  • In the normal developing male, testosterone peaks during early adulthood. Once you reach age 30, testosterone levels slowly decline by approximately 1% a year. This is a normal part of aging.

What are normal ranges or levels of testosterone in men?

The low limit of testosterone levels in men is about 300 nanograms per deciliter and the upper normal limit is approximately 1000-1200 ng/dl. A low level needs to be investigated further to distinguish it from normal aging.

Return to Low Testosterone (Low T)

Comment from: Only 28, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 27

I am only 28 years old and testosterone is currently 8.6. The general physician treated me for 20 weeks with a shot every second week. What a difference! He has refused to prescribe any more right now though because of age. I am seeing him again to get referral to endocrinologist.

Comment from: RS, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I am 42, my T level is 35, yeah nonexistent. I regularly see a pain specialist for chronic low back pain. I"m on the medication Duragesic and have been for 8 years. My family doctor did what any good doctor would do, blood test and then MRI to check the pituitary gland for adenomas. The MRI results were normal. His opinion is my pain medications are the problem.